Oil spots on fenders?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Oil spots on fenders?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. Steve on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 12:27 am:

I'm a little puzzled here. I'm running a freshly rebuilt engine and after each run I see small oil spots on each front fender. Its as if oil is getting blown out the louvers on the hood, but it looks dry under the hood. Its not much oil. Very small "dots". Whats going on here? Anyone else ever experience this? Is there a fix?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:09 am:

Steve

Tape some paper shop towels, the blue ones, in certain places under the hood, check them to see if oil is leaking out somewhere.

Are you sure the spots are 'oil'?

Had once brief sprays of radiator coolant, due to lack of good gasket at the radiator cap, that put 'greasy like spots' on the fenders, but not the windshield, go figure!

And once I had similar spots coming from the fan pulley, used 600 axle lube instead of grease there that time. Regular bearing grease will stay put, or use the new sealed bearing fan pulley...best thing I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:16 am:

If it ain't leakin', it's probably empty! Just kiddin'. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Simon Bayley on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:43 am:

Steve,

I had something similar and it was coming from my fan hub. too much slop in the rear being\ caused the oil/grease to flick out.

Simon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:07 am:

I think what you are seeing is drops of coolant, anti freeze and etc. will look and feel a lot like oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:43 am:

Did you put too much lamp oil in your side lites?? Trust me,It makes a mess!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:52 pm:

It could be the fan hub.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. Steve on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Guy's,

There is only water in the cooling system and I don't have the side lights on the car at the moment.

I will try the paper towell trick and I'll try putting heavier grease in the fan hub.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:12 pm:

Put some anti freeze in the cooling system as soon as possible to avoid having the block and head turn into iron oxide and plug your radiator.

I bet you have one or more water leaks and cannot see them because the water is still not full of rust. It will be easier to spot where the leak (or leaks) is after the water turns rusty, or with colored anti freeze.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:44 pm:

Steve
You did not mention if your car has a aftermarket water pump? They are notorious for slinging grease all over the drivers side of the engine compartment, out the louvers and onto the fenders.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. Steve on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:30 pm:

Royce- I don't have any water leaks. At first I thought the spots were water and did'nt give them any more thought. Figured they came from the loose rad. cap. Then I noticed the spots were still there a couple of days later. They would have evaporated if they were water spots. My cooling system operates flawlessly.

Ron- I know all about aftermarket pumps. Thats why I don't have any, lol! They are troublesome and messy.

Any idea how much oil comes out of the throttle rod hole on the valve cover? Could the spots be coming from there?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 04:13 pm:

Whenever the engine is running, the oil heats up and comes out of the engine in the form of oil vapor, through the oil breather and the valve cover hole through which the throttle linkage passes. When the hot oil vapor exits the hot confines under the hood and hits the cool air outside the hood louvers, it settles on the fenders and coagulates as droplets of oil. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:39 pm:

Steve,

On your freshly rebuilt engine how many engine runs do you have? How many miles during those engine runs? And how fast/hard are you driving? And are you on level ground or hilly ground or steep hills?

It may be as simple as the blow by from explosion/exhaust gasses going past the rings because they have not yet seated. To fix that one -- drive the car -- don't just start it and let it idle -- get the engine up to operating temperature (which if you are in one of the colder places may mean putting a piece of cardboard etc. in front of enough of the radiator so the engine reaches normal operating temperature. (Bungee cords work great for that).

Or perhaps that blow by is made worse by filling the engine with too much oil. You want it to run out the top petcock or the transmission when it is opened. But you do NOT want it to have two quarts that will run out of the top petcock if you leave it open. Again an easy solution – put a can under the top petcock and open the petcock. Let it flow until it stops.

When the engine was rebuilt were the valve guides checked and either found in good shape or if appropriate were oversized valve stems used?

You didn’t mention in your profile or your posting or I missed it (that happens) what year engine and if the starter/generator is or is not installed. But your comment “Any idea how much oil comes out of the throttle rod hole on the valve cover? “ would lead to me to think you have a Nov 1921 or later engine that has the one piece valve cover and also a place for a starter and generator. You indicated that both sides of the car are receiving the oil spot treatment: “….I see small oil spots on each front fender.” Do they start past the midpoint of the engine (i.e. where the hole in the valve cover is located as well as on the other side of the engine there is a hole on that side for the same rod to go through. Or is more likely something that is getting on the Fan and being thrown around? If on the fan – what about the underside of the hood ? How does it look?

There are lots of clues to look for. Some other items that may or may not be of any help to folks on the forum trying to offer reasonable suggestions: Were the cylinders bored and new pistons installed or were they checked and found to be in good shape with proper clearance for the pistons and the cylinders were honed and the appropriate new rings installed with the gaps on the rings “not lined up” etc. You may be a master mechanic and worked on Ts for years – and if so you already know those things and have taken care of any that needed attention. Or you may be new to Ts as well as new to combustion engines. From the posting I haven’t figured it out yet. You didn’t mention where you live, but if you can locate someone near you to help you through this process, there is a good chance they could save you a lot of time. Our “guesses” are based on only a very small part of the overall picture. Someone who it there can just check some of the things and tell quickly what is going on. I.e. if there is two feet of snow on the ground they don’t need to ask what the temperature there is – they live there also. It also helps us not miss something important – such as is the oil filler cap. No one asked – but is it installed on the timing gear cover or is it setting on the shelf etc. We don’t tend to ask those types of questions because we don’t want you or others to feel like we think you aren’t familiar with the Ts. But often times folks make simple mistakes – either their car never had this or that part or they forgot. (Anyone else ever forget to retard the spark before they cranked the engine? I know I am supposed to – but I know I have forgotten before in the past. Although a good backfire will normally leave a good memory of that one….). And how many “droplets are on the car’s fenders?” One or two, 10 -15, or covered?

Anyway – hopefully it is something minor and no matter what – I’m sure it can be solved.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. Steve on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:45 pm:

Hap,

Its a fresh rebuild with everything new. 1923 vintage. Completly rebuilt transmission also. I never counted the drops, but there had to be about ten. They were in the 1/16"- 1/8" diameter range. Very small as compared to some Model T drips...

Yes, the underside of the hood is covered! However that is from the last engine, lol. Seriously, this engine is very clean, which is why its a mystery. It has about five roadtrips on it. They were short trips- more though than just running it in the driveway.

Its now too cold here for more experimental runs, but I'll keep trying to figure this out. Its not enough to keep me from using the car. Just a little annoyance that I'd like to solve.

Steve

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration