Today's the Day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Today's the Day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:09 pm:

After I watch Liverpool play the Wolves, I am going out to the garage and try to get the ole gal started. Enough polishing and cleaning. I have been a tad scared of this new passion - but now I am ready. Thanks to all your comments and feedback I feel I have enough information to at least not drive the car through the garage. I am going to life the back axle and put it on stands!!!

T7

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

Good luck, Mark, and have fun! Do you have video on your digital camera? Take a movie and post it to YouTube to share with the forum...only if you want to, of course.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 04:02 pm:

Mark,
Good luck, and have fun! I got my first T about 9 years ago. Being a '26 roadster, it had a starter. But I wanted to crank it like a "real" T. After hearing all the stories about broken forearms and wrists, it took me about 6 weeks to drum up the courage. It's been nothing but fun and more fun every since! When I got the '17 touring, I didn't have as much hesitation. You won't either after you get use to it. Again, have fun (and maybe pump up the back tire??? <g>. If I can help, give me a holler,

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 04:15 pm:

Top off those tires to 60 psi & have fun !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:40 pm:

Don't even roll the car around without a minimum of 55 lbs. in the tires. Better at 60-65. Overlands used the same tires and teir book recomemnded 85!
Start the car with the hand brake pulled all the way back. When it is warmed up a minute just move the handbrake lever to half way and push on the clutch pedal as you drive out into the street.
When you get on a good straight strtch speed the engine up a little and then just push the handbrake lever all the way forward.
Remember not to push the clutch more than 1/2 way down when you want to stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:45 pm:

Why push the cluth just 1/2 way down when stopping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:54 pm:

Halfway releases the clutch but i think you should use the handbrake lever untill you learn about your T?? It takes a while to learn a model T so there is plenty of time to start slow! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:01 pm:

Here's a link to the only manual I had had when I got my first T. Read the part on driving it and you will do OK.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll242/fordmodelt/1913%20ford%20owners%20manua l/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:04 pm:

The one I have it a yellow one that says Ford Service Manual.

manual

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:07 pm:

Mark, what you're thinking of as the clutch pedal has more to it than that. Pushing it part way down disengages the high gear clutch and holds the transmission in neutral. Pushing the pedal further down engages the low gear band and moves the car forward in low. If you want to take your foot completely off the left pedal and remain in neutral you must pull the lever back about half way and this will also hold it in neutral and leave your left foot free for backing if you want to. I like to use reverse with my left foot as this always leaves my right foot free for braking, if needed. Hope this helps and welcome to the affliction. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:09 pm:

The link I just posted is for the Instruction Book for Ford Model T Cars that you got as a new onwer. What you have is the mechanics shop manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:11 pm:

Thanks. That is put in language even I understand. I am going to change my username so I can ask more simple questions. Inside my dash I have a box with a turn switch on it. The writing is missing so I am not sure of the left and right position selection. I also have a small buttonthat is push/pull to the right of the box on the firewall - What is that for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:45 pm:

Looking at your pictures from other threads, you have a stamped switch cover on your coil box. It is probably loaded up with paint - that is why you can't read it.

On your coil box switch cover, "Bat" for battery is engraved on the lower right, "Mag" for magneto is engraved on the lower left.

The push pull button to the right of the coil box is the headlight switch. You don't need to worry about that for now.

There are copies of owners manuals that you can download from this (MTFCA) website.

Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:52 pm:

Get out in an empty lot somewhere where there's little chance of hitting a house, garage, neighbors favorite car, neighbors favorite pet, neighbors mean pet, mean kids, mean neighbors, mean meridian etc.etc. and enjoy yourself, and probably some of the funny mistakes you'll make!

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:56 pm:

Mark,

Here are some internet videos you may find helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfQWnaWLDeQ

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/How-To-Drive-A-1916-Ford_692647.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMGK1L7VN1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yGhsbgwnxA

And this is what will happen if you forget to retard the spark and then attempt to hand-crank the engine (This gentleman was very lucky he didn't have his arm in the way when the crank spun backward):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eCsUQAjcI0

Much more helpful than these internet videos would be the professionally produced instructional videos that you can purchase from the club at the following web address:

http://modeltstore.myshopify.com/products/restoration-videos

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 01:21 am:

Mark, forget that word "Clutch", it's only going to lead to confusion. The left pedal is the "shift lever". All the way down for Low, all the way up for High. There's a space just about in the middle we'll call "Neutral". It's not a real neutral, it's just a place where the band that creates Low and the clutch plates that create High, are both slipping at the same time.
As you get used to driving, your left leg will find that neutral spot automatically.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:22 am:

Well Mark (Liverpool 2 - Wolves nil) how about you and the T, did you get it going, I think that if you are a bit apprehensive you may want to have someone show you how to drive the car, it is not very hard at all, I learned how to drive my car, while I was in the passenger seat having the guy that sold me the car drive it home for me, half way home he stop and said "your turn". At that time I live up a very steep drive way and I learned going up and down by myself, looking back it was a bit stupid of me but thank God it all when well, I showed my brother how to drive in less than 20 minutes and the next day he started looking for a car. As for me 10 years later I love driving my car, just today I drove in the Holiday Tour 2009, some pictures are posted in other threads and had an awesome time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 08:13 pm:

Go Reds - but please keep going! I have Hal from South Georgia coming to my house Wednesday to help me get started. I am very excited. I did get the plugs cleaned, the oil changed, contact cleaned, gas line checked and new gas and am going tomorrow to buy a battery. I will be ready - Wednesday's now the day.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration