Help - spark plug photo needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Help - spark plug photo needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

Ok. These plugs are not like the plugs on the muscle cars I have rebuilt my whole life. Does anyone have a photo of how they should look with a proper gap? I have a 1919 T with a stock engine - hand crank.

Thanks
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:51 pm:

These are Champion X plugs. That's what was originally used on Model T Fords. They have an advantage over more modern plugs you may find on a T: you can take them apart and clean them, so they are good for decades. The first two pictures show a version that can be completely disassembled. The terminal thread on top, I believe, is 6-40.

A B

The third picture shows the type above with another type that has the cap crimped on at the top. The terminal is stuck in the insulator, but the bottom comes apart for cleaning. The terminal thread on these is 8-32.

C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:55 pm:

Wow! Thanks! These photos are of great help. I am going out to the garage and start taking them apart right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:06 pm:

I forgot to mention that the gap is on the SIDE of the post, not under it. The electrode angles up toward the post so gas or oil won't collect on the end of it. Gap is 1/32".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:08 pm:

The electrode position was the missing question about the plugs. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

Here you go, this is old time info....

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

Dan - Wondering what book you copied that piece about spark plugs is from? Well written, full of detail and great illustrations! Looks familier to me but I can't seem to find it in my "Model T library"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:15 pm:

Steve - Can't help but notice what beautiful close-up photos you take. Not only the spark plug photos on this thread but also close-up detail photos that you have shared with us in the past. Can't help but think it's a combination of a really good digital camera and lots of experience with it! EVERYBODY enjoys photos in this forum, and yours are right up there in quality with a few other "T" guys, including the beautiful carburetor photos that that ol' Montana auctioneer takes when he's not all involved in the Model T rear end Ruckstellification process!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration