Where does the oil go in

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Where does the oil go in
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:23 pm:

This is probably a very dumb question. I have a 1918 T with hand crank. I have drained the pudding from the engine and now would like to put oil in it. However, I do not want to put oil where it should not go. I have a good I idea where it goes but not 100%. I have read the Ford manual that came with the car for maintenance and repair (the big thick one) and it has nothing about and oil change or spark plug gapping - why is that?

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:30 pm:

because the didn't change oil in those days and there were no spark plug gap gages.
The oil goes in the oil filler on the right front corner of the engine.
I think 4 quarts should do it. Fill it untill oil srtarts to run out the top petcock on the transmission housing under the car below the passenger.
Gap the plugs to .025" or the thickness of a worn dime as they did it "in those days".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 05:43 pm:

Wow - that makes sense once you hear it!! Do you know where I can find a photo of a properly gapped plug?

Being an old muscle car fan, it never occured to me that a certain tool was not available. I appreciate the help. I am restoring a 1966 442 vert. and am beginning to appreciate more the ability to turn a key or insert a plug.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 06:01 pm:

Mark,Is there a acc screen under the small cover on top of the trans?? When you change oil is a good time to inspect or clean it. If you don't have one you should get one.Good luck and be careful of the slow brakes and quick steering!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:26 pm:

What does acc stand for? Is this photograph the one with the cover on top?

cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 07:42 pm:

Mark:

ACC is for Accessory. Many model T owners have added a sheet metal filter plate that goes underneath the transmission keystone shaped plate with the 6 large round head screws holding it in place. If your engine has this filter you can generally tell yes or no by simply looking at how thick the gasket is that is under that trans plate. If you see 2 gaskets with what might be a sheet metal plate sandwiched in between them - that is the filter and it is a simple strainer device that catches oil as it splashes around inside the transmission. If you do take those 6 screws out - NEVER set them on a surface ABOVE the transmission plate cover hole or you MAY find out why not to do that. You must be very very careful never to have anything nearby that can fall into that large transmission hole since there is no way to retrieve it easily if it falls into the transmission and goes to the bottom and Murphy's law of selective gravitation absolutely guarantee's that it will find its way to the very bottom so long as there is at least 1 thousandth of clearance between the falling object and the transmission parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:10 pm:

Found the acc keystone shaped cover. All it had under the plate way a gasket that looked like a bit of roofing paper. I am giddy that I have completed my first oil change on my new T. Tomorrow comes the gas tank, bowl and filters - if any.

I appreciate all the imput and advice. I have learned a great deal today - which I will retain. I look forward to learning more in the coming weeks. I would not have gotten this far without you guys, and gals, on this excellent forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:13 pm:

Mark

Another thing is that you stated "pudding" for the old oil, likely it hasn't been changed in a long while.

So best if you add fresh, then once you get the engine running and hot, or running for a few days. Then drain the oil again and refill with fresh. That will clean out the oil residues.

Ole T'ers will say to pour in a gallon of kerosene and hand crank it over several times then drain and refill with fresh oil, kinda like a flush. But I think that just dilutes the fresh oil, so just drain and use fresh oil....besides kerosene these days costs more per gallon than oil :-)

pic here

oil screen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:25 pm:

Should I put an oil screen in my T? I want to make sure I do it right from the beginning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 08:56 pm:

Can't hurt, esp if you plan on lots of driving, the screen catches the crud and worn band lining material. Why that is important is there is just one internal oil line from the trans to the front plate at the timing gear, that is how oil gets to the front of the motor to oil the front rod and main bearings, that line fills those troughs you see under the crankcase pan.

Now what is more important is to be sure that single internal oil line is clear, that is a bit of a job to do right,... most times you have to remove the front plate. (Major work)

Sometimes you can feed oil into the funnel behind the flywheel if you can fish a small plastic tube there with a gravity feed vessel letting the oil go in, then remove the crankcase pan and see the oil flow out. This method does require the oil to be drained from the engine. Sometimes an air hose can help assure it is free.

So, try to clean that pipe, and then.......

add an accessory "outside" oil line from the magneto pickup post to the new hollow bolt supplied with these vendor kits to the front of the motor, that will assure you that oil is getting to the front rod and main bearing.

Without a clear oil line you will burn out the front rod bearing, have done that before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:06 pm:

Here is what the screen can prevent from clogging your oil line.

pcihere

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:11 pm:

Diagram showing the internal oil line

pci here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:57 pm:

Put oil in here. This is on the passenger side of the engine on the front. There should be a domed cap on it. It just press fits in. Use a long funnel to be neat about pouring the oil in the hole.
oiler
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:20 pm:

Mark,While you were at the oil change did you fill all your grease cup's?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

Mark
A handy accessory for you would be the Model T Lubrication wall chart. It's a great looking poster to hang in the garage.-Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:30 pm:

Thanks! I will check the cups and oil the timer. Would light oil, for the timer, be considered 3-1 machine oil? How much should be put in?

What type of grease should I use for grease cups. Is there a small chart I can get online that will show me the grease points? Where can I get the Model T Lubrication wall chart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:17 pm:

I was taught many years ago, by a wonderful old man who was parts manager at T Ford dearlership in his younger years, that the gap of the mag and the spark plug should be the thickness of a thin dime. a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:21 pm:

A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 04:50 pm:

Mark,

If you do decide to put a screen in the transmission cover (a great idea) also consider a large magnet laying inside the screen to catch and retain metallic particles as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:56 pm:

Mark and Bob

The new screens that I have installed on the cars that I have worked on, come with the magnet. You do not need to order a extra magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 06:38 pm:

Thanks. I will be calling Lang's tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 07:06 pm:

Mark,Rember what was said about 2 gaskets and order at least two.Any soft grease should do and the cheaper the better.Myself i fill the grease cups and run them all the way down and refill.The one on the fan can/will make a mess so once you see grease use spareingly?? Water pump?? If you have one a little grease can work wonders at stoping a leak.Proably only my thoughts but i usually count the front hubcaps as grease cups?? Tell us your progress,Please! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration