A good spoke wheel metal parts paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: A good spoke wheel metal parts paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Kuehn on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:02 pm:

Has anyone had good luck using rustoleum black laquer paint spray can paint on wheels? I just got through varnishing the new hickory spokes on my new set of 21" wheels and was considering using laquer on the metal. I could use the black urethane I used on the body but I was thinking spray can paint would be much easier to use. Hopefully it would hold up well. Any other paint suggestions or types of glossy paint?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

John

Rattle can paint is good, for best finish I have found is the Nason brand gloss black acrylic enamel spray. This stuff lays on well and is tough. This Nason (Du Pont brand) stuff is sold only at auto paint supply houses.

pichere

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:56 am:

We took are metal parts that had been sandblasted to the local powder coater. He did all 4 wheels plus the five rims, hardware included for a hundred bucks. Looks new on a 5 year old job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:32 pm:

Rustoleum is difficult to sand. Even after several days of cure, it will load the sandpaper, even when you wet sand. Also, virtually anything you top coat it with will not be very durable. It seems like nothing sticks to Rustoleum very well. There have been Laquer based primer surfacers in spray cans that I have had good luck with. Napa stores had a laquer primer/surfacer product they used to have in spray cans which was the same as something called "Instant" from Sherwin Williams. It was around $100 per gallon when we bought it several years ago which seems like a lot, but you cut it 1 part primer with 4 parts regular laquer thinner to spray. I loved it. You could spray it on and sand it with dry sandpaper 15 minutes later and it would not load the paper. Now I use all DuPont products. An epoxy primer, the three part "URO" surfacer, and then finish with DuPont Centari single stage top coat.

A decade from now, how well your paint job has held up will be very important to you while how much you originally spent on paint materials will be of no concern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 01:07 pm:

I used rattle cans of epoxy enamel on a chassis 25 years ago and it's held up very well, so I used appliance epoxy enamel on my wheels last year. It looks good. We'll see how it survives over time. And yes, I know real epoxy enamel comes in two parts, but that's what they call this spray can version too.
A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:06 pm:

Nothing beats Interlux or Brolite marine enamels. It seems that the U.S. Coast Guard insists that marine paints be good and not just environmentally correct to please the tree huggers and global warming freaks.

So go to your friendly West Marine store or on line and get a good quality marine paint approved by those who guard your shores and man the landing barges. Pettit Varninsh is the most reliable for protecting the wood on Depot Hacks but you can also use Teak Oil. Those are good and hold up well on natural finished spokes too.

I have nothing to do with West Marine but use their products because of the quality and the regulation of them by your Coast Guard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Kuehn on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:21 pm:

I was thinking there was some good rattle can spray paint to paint wood spoke wheels out there. Thinks for the tips. I did think about powder coating the metal first before having the wheels respoked but the wheel builder said that that it was better to respoke first then paint. Others said the opposite so I guess its a toss up. I did primer the metal first. Thanks for all the tips!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Kuehn on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:26 pm:

Dan, when you painted your wheels with the Nason enamel I am assuming it was a one step paint job or did you use more than one coat. Any sanding after painting?
Thanks John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration