U Joint Housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: U Joint Housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fenton on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 10:13 pm:

How much grease should be in the U joint housing? I was told to fill it completely, but notice that after running a few miles the grease is being extruded at the ball cap. I have actually made a leather "diaper" which fits quite nicely to prevent the grease from dripping. John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:47 pm:

John ,you may have some wear on the ball cap,which will allow more grease to oze out than normal. One way to check is to watch the U-joint housing while a friend rocks the rear wheel back and forth. See if the drive tube is moving back and forth. The venders sell a shim for there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fenton on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:08 am:

It's all rebuilt and fits really well. Should it be completely filled with grease? John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:59 am:

yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 10:03 am:

Fill the U joint housing completely.

I don't see the need for the diaper. The U joint housing will fill the diaper completely in a short time. Then what will you do? Build a diaper around the diaper? Just get on a creeper and wipe the wet / greasy spots on your car after every drive. Or lay an old piece of cardboard under the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:25 pm:

John

That is funny, a diaper on a Model T. Really, I read somewhile ago that state law or city law in some state was made in the early years, pre-teens I think to require a drip pan or leather sheet under automobiles to keep the streets clean...

The T is quite a bit more 'oil-less' than other early cars in 1908, as they were real oil sprayers.

And, if your universal joint isn't full all the time, you can get engine oil leaks thru it and allow the engine oil to run down the driveshaft into the rear axle, overfilling it, and have wheel leaks too. Keep that universal joint full all the time, gease oozing there is a good thing.

pic here

That's why Henry put the largest grease cup on the Model T at that spot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:19 pm:

John, make sure someone has not added a gasket between the ball cap and rear cover, the gasket should only be between the hogs head and ball cap. Also in my opinion you cannot over grease the u joint,if your ball cap is worn the grease will help keep the ingine oil from migrating to the rear end. Have fun, KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fenton on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

Thanks all. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:14 pm:

When I read Keith G note it made me think I may have put a gaket between the 4th main and one between the drive line cap and the ball cap. If I did add an extra gasket it would tend to have a leak of grease to the driveline cap?
Thanks for the info

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration