ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/27/09 STEPHENS ADJUSTABLE BRAKE SHOES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/27/09 STEPHENS ADJUSTABLE BRAKE SHOES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Here's an excellently designed set of accessory brake shoes. I have been running these for several years on our 1915 roadster and they work great. They give even pressure over the full surface of the brake drums.
stephensbrakes1 stephensbrakes2
stephensbrakes3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 01:43 pm:

I have a set of those in my to do pile. Someone ought to reproduce them, they are a very desirable accesory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 06:34 pm:

Drum Brake with Internal Shoes
Patent number: 1327068
Filing date: Jan 23, 1918
Issue date: Jan 6, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/y9d9ffc

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 07:08 pm:

Art
Tell us how you find the original patents so quickly?
I tried searching the USPTO site and am lucky if I can find anything closely related and finally gave up.
For example can you find the original patent for the Trembler Coil?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:05 pm:

Patent number: 1092417
Filing date: Mar 5, 1913
Issue date: Jul 1869
coil
I think I am getting the hang of this?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

Jay & Art, thanks for the info. My 1915 has these brakes also.
R Stephens & Sons - London SE19 Forum2005: Lined Parking Brake Shoes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:12 pm:

Hi Ron
I just stumble around looking thru a few hundred patents
until I find one that looks like its somewhat believable.

Well really I start with “Goof-le” Patent Search to see if
they got the spelling close enough to find something easily
(or at all), and if that’s a no show, I go to the USPTO site
try to figure out what the guy assigned to research the patent
had for lunch so I can guess at the classification he hid the dam
thing in and if that doesn’t turn up any . . . .

I guess what I’m trying to say is the easy ones I do with Google,
and the rest require a high degree of stubbornness (I call that
“positive thinking") and some outside the box thinking as well.

If your browser (or add on) supports .gif files you can an idea of a
USPTO patent search with the short search I setup on this page . .
http://tinyurl.com/ycfl74e
Click on the patent number (16 on the list), and then click on
“Images” in the center of the page.

Regards
Art
Ps. I see Google strikes again – Your listing above shows the patent
was issued 44 years before it was applied for. Nobody’s perfect <@^@>

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 09:15 pm:

Looks like a forerunner of the Model A brake. Works on the same principle except that the A is a little more developed.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 10:12 pm:

Art
It appears the patent records were scanned and used an optical character recognition program. Many of the dates, pattentee name and titles are misspelled.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

I agree with that Ron - scanning and ocr'ing 7 million
patents is bound to have a few errors. Great idea though.

David
Here is the patent filed in Great Britain for your 2005 photo.
I finally figured out that the pat number in your photo was
111598 and not 10598 as it first appeared.

Patent Number GB111598
Application Date Feb 27, 1917
Complete Accepted Dec 6, 1917

http://tinyurl.com/ycyuezu

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 04:02 am:

Thanks Art!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 04:22 am:

I agree with Royce - some of the vendors should do these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:15 am:

I also agree these would be an excellent candidate for reproducing. None of the other shoes you can now buy for your T have as much drum contact when applied as these puppies do. As we all know, going in a model T is never the problem, it's the stopping that counts! Any extra stopping power you have on board is a BIG plus. I would buy a set for each of my three other T's if they were offered for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:15 am:

Me too. Looks like they would be much better than the cast iron ones that are available now. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:34 pm:

So, help me get my mind wrapped around these, because they look like a great idea. Are these for really positive hand-brake action, or would these be rigged up as a service brake somehow??

I have always been leery of the cast iron shoes, but I thought the vendors now sell lined shoes for small drums. No?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:27 pm:

Yes, you can now get lined shoes for the small drums, but these adjustable would make them work better as an emergence brake in case of failure in the service brake.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration