Non-starter generator block off

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Non-starter generator block off
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

On the non-starter cars, was there a different casting, or just a steel plate blocking off where the generator goes? I've got a generator, but no starter on an engine I'm putting together so I need something to block off the hole. In the Mac's catalog it shows, as an unavailable item, a steel plate, and a different casting so maybe either were supplied?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:50 pm:

Corey:

I have both the front and the back block offs. Email for pictures and details.

Consitpation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

Corey
Here is a photo of the generator block off plate.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 03:09 pm:

That's what I need, I guess I just put nuts on the ends of the generator mounting bolts, instead of the generator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 04:37 pm:

After seeing the question I went out to the barn and took a look at the no-starter/no-generator engine out of my TT project. As the pictures show, there's a square plate in place of a starter on the front side and a bendix cover on the back side. The generator hole takes a cover like Ron shows above, with nuts on the regular bolts instead of a generator.
A B C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:35 pm:

There also was a different casting that was installed in place of the generator mount casting and used the earlier non-generator front cover. They are few and far between, although I've seen maybe two dozen in the past 30 years.
I do not know what years they were used or maybe they were for non-automobile engines as I recently mentioned in another thread. Maybe someone out there knows the answer. I am still learning.

W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 05:39 pm:

Should have mentioned also that most non-starter cars (maybe except 1919) did use the block-off plates as previously shown. W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:03 pm:

The piece Wayne is talking about was (I think) used only in 1919 or 20. It is sort of a half shell piece that closes off the area between a non - starter front cover and the engine block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:06 pm:

Wayne Sheldon is right, there was a casting produced for non electric cars. Please see the generator cast block off on my Motana 500 car.
All the cars I know of in the Monttana 500 run withoug generators. In case your wondering I can run for weeks including using my starter with out charging the batter. Saying that I do want to include that I will only use Interstate batteries in my cars. Wayne was also correct when he said the cast generator block offs are scarce.

A372a racer motor

If you can not find the cast gerator blocks offs please see a different block off for the generator on the far right of the picture.
The block offs are from left to right
1. Starter
2. Bendix
3. Generator

A372b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:14 pm:

Dave
Interesting.
I have never seen a Bendix drive hogshead hole cover block off plate. I always understood the usual cup shaped Bendix cover was used. You taught me one.
Ron Patterson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 08:35 pm:

Ron,I have at least one,you should have asked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:02 pm:

I like that bendix cover posted by Steve Jelf. I think that must be one of the early ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

In a pinch, we cut the end out of the proper-sized tin can, put in some holes and bolted that on along with a gasket. Worked fine until we got the actual plate. Gotta think like a depression era farmer sometimes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

Larry:

The early (19) bendix covers were two piece with a flat end.

A274 cars on Cameron Pass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 02:55 pm:

I have made block-off plates out of 1/4 inch plywood. It takes a long time for the wood to become saturated with oil.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration