Red White Steam: not the Red Green Show...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Red White Steam: not the Red Green Show...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:29 am:

Mid way through the donut stop at the HME today, I spied a crowd in the parking lot. Although this thing is huge, it was hard to get a good pic for the crowd. Jay doesn't know if it's as big as the Olds Limited at the Nethercutt, but Randy Ema said not. This 1907 White rides on 36x5 tires. I checked my files, and the Olds is on 43 inch wheels. Still, this thing is huge.

This 1898 Loco is for comparison.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 12:41 am:

This is the pic of the Olds I meant to show:

o

You can't appreciate its size in this pic.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:01 am:

It would appear in the seventh picture from the top that there is a lamp to illuminate the dash instruments! Is that a White steamer?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:26 am:

Hmm, hadn't noticed the sidelamp for cockpit illumination.. Yes, it's a 1907 red White steam car. Whites provided vital transportation in the great San Francisco earthquake and fire.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:35 am:

Guys bad news that 1898 Loco, lost both back wheels going up a hill, just before we went over the 134 Freeway I think, the axles snapped right at the hub, Jeff looked very disappointed, I think he had AAA pick him up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:04 pm:

There's a nice video of this White steam car in operation on Jay Leno's garage website.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By david willis on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:47 pm:

unless i'm mistaken..the locomobile is a kit car that was available in the UK a few years back..you paid a certain sum and a sub-assembly was shipped...with each sub assembly you slowly got a car together...not too far off as i recall except the boiler..the giveaway is the drop center motorcycle rims and the disc brakes.

i think the olds was [is] a bigger car...i also think the bugatti royal holds the record tho...and i dont think jay has one of those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:54 pm:

This photo of White steamers was taken in Franklin Pa. in 1908.
My maternal grandfather is at the wheel of the car on the left.
whitesteamcars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:52 am:

What is it we see under the hood of that White? Is that the boiler like on the Stanley Steamers? Or is it the cylinders? And if the latter - where is the boiler then?
I love these steam cars! We have one operational here and is amazing to see it accelerate with no sound but a little wuiiish!
Problem is that you must be educated engineer to be allowed to operate the steam engine! And apart from passing regular DMO the steam equipment must obtain a certificate that it is sound and healthy - just as steam locomotives! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 03:04 am:

Michael,
the boiler is under the front seat, but it's not really a boiler, it's a steam generator, very efficient design. what you are seeing under the hood is the engine.
Over here, you just need a driver's license!
S'
David D.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration