Mercury Go Fast Car at HME

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Mercury Go Fast Car at HME
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:28 am:

They don't get any nicer:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JACK ROSSI on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:38 am:

How do you open the pics to view them?

Jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:41 am:

Patience. If you try to view between the time the words are posted, and the pix are uploaded, you get just the words...

Here's a Chrysler:

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Moore on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 03:08 am:

That is an early Mercury--1921 and one of the first few hunderd built (I think around 212) as it has no door on the drivers side. The correct radiator shell is a really hard part to find.

RD, could you e-mail me the photo's direct?

Thanks,

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 08:15 am:

I thought of you when I saw this car, Tim. I have no idea of the owner. The original pix are 2 meg each. Do you want them in full fidelity?

If that car were mine, I would dump the spare. I never carry a spare unless going more than 100 miles from home, and I've only been caught out once - on the way home from the HME several years ago. That's what friends, family and AAA are for.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 08:35 am:

Ralph,

Very nice. Your weather looks a little more "user friendly" than ours.

Happy Holidays,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 10:14 am:

Couldn't help but be tickled, looks like lots of folks are oohing and aahing over the car (me included) but overlook what appears to be the dreaded water pump (see second picture). Still a very nice car, and it can come live in my Barn anytime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Vagasky on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 05:26 pm:

And the Alternator..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

My Goodness - a distributer! The heresy of it all!

I'd love to own it, beautiful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:31 pm:

Thanks Ricks for the nice post but what or where is HME? It must be a show in LA!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:37 pm:

Complaints about the spare tire? (I agree) Complaints about the modern alternator and the water pump? (I can agree with those feelings, especially the alternator) I think the car would look better without the top also. But I really need to add my complaint about the ca. 1930 downdraft carburetor. Picky, picky, picky, some people are never pleased. (like me?) But really, that is one beautiful boat-tail!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kidwell on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:40 am:

After looking at the OHV setup, I have a couple questions on how the conversion is done. I see that the stock intake and exhaust ports are plugged.

1. Does the design of head block the original valve openings in the block to seal the chamber?

2. Does the OHV assembly use pushrods and lifters that run on a special cam or on a stock cam.

Thanks, Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:01 am:

HME: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/118336.html?1262015838

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:35 pm:

Jim,

The design of the head with a circular combustion chamber and special head gasket block off the valve chambers. The stock (or performance grind) cam and lifters are used with pushrods that go through the valve guide holes and up to the rocker arms on the head.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:38 pm:

1. The pushrods go through the same opening for the old flathead valves and then the gasket seals around. See an overhead valve gasket:
For 8-valve overhead:
http://www.modeltford.com/i/c/947l.jpg
For 4-valve overhead:
http://www.modeltford.com/i/c/946l.jpg

2. The OHV assembly can be used on a stock cam. There were/are however some overhead setups that use a special cam or cams. See here:
http://www.nwvs.org/Technical/Engines/EngineAllThumbs.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bryan Ostregren on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:11 am:

The car is owned by Ron Cressey. He found the body in Topanga Canyon near L.A. about 35 years ago after a brush fire exposed it. It was a rusted burned up mess and he certainly did a beautiful job restoring it. It graced the cover of The Vintage Ford back about 1980-81 or so.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration