Shell Game

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Shell Game
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Naquin on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 05:25 pm:

I have been assured that the '26-'27 radiator shell will also
fit the Late '23-'25. So now I'm looking for a late '23-'27
Radiator Shell for my late '23 Touring. If its nickel I can
paint over it. So...anyone have a radiator shell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:40 am:

I thought it would. This shell was given to me by a guy who had what "I think" was a pre 26 Roadster. He bought a brand new chrome one for his car. (maybe it was an early 26, it had wood wheels on it).
It's pretty "ratty" though. It's going to take some welding to fix the stress crack that runs along next to where the welting goes. It needs work, maybe even more than what you already have. I don't want you to get your hopes up.
I'm hoping that somebody else has one in better shape. The offer is still there. It's yours for what it would cost to ship it to you from Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:27 am:

I checked the barn and I have three,all of which need some little help,so I can't help much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:09 pm:

1923 thru 1925 radiator shells are different than 1926-1927 shells and your hood will not fit correctly. In the area where the top hood panel makes its "curve", the 1926-27 radiator shells are slightly longer.

One would think it would be easy then to tell the difference because the 23-25's were steel and the 26-27's were nickel plated brass. However, for the early part of the 26 model year touring cars and roadsters were produced with a black painted steel radiator shell that fit to the 26-27 style hood.

So, there are 3 different "high style" radiator shells out there. If you end up with the wrong hood and shell combination, you will have fit issues.
1- 1923-1925 black painted steel shell that properly fits 23-25 style hood. Also used on all TT trucks thru 1927)(TT's all used the 23-25 hood and shell, even in 26 and 27).
2- 1926 Model year black painted steel shell that properly fits the 26-27 style hood. (I believe these do not show up in the parts books because they were replaced with the nickel plated brass style for "service stock")
3- 1926-1927 Model year nickel plated brass shell that properly fit 1926-1927 hoods only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Naquin on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:41 pm:

This is a nightmare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:03 pm:

Yup! It's beginning to look like you might want to just fix yours, no matter what it takes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:19 pm:

They do show up at swap meets if you know what you are looking for. You need to find someone who has a 23 and take pictures and measure it. Then when you go to the swap meet, you will know what to look for. As soon as you find one that needs some work and you spend your time and money to fix it, then the next swap meet you will find a better or perfect one and from then on they will appear at all the swap meets you attend! That's the way it is for me. Either I see something very good and don't get it, then later I want one and can't find one, or I will find something I really want, but is in terrible condition, and I buy it then later find better ones. That even happens with whole cars.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Fultz on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:28 pm:

Norman..That's the way it was with my wife. But thank God I chose the first one as it's been a good 48 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob wood on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 06:22 pm:

William, not sure if you are aware. New ones are available from Mac's, Chaffin's, Lang's etc. They show 23-25 as different shell. The hoods are also different by about an 1/2 inch on each side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

Rad. shells are available New?? as far as I know no one has produced them for quite a while

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:01 am:

I thought that one of the ways that the Ford dealers back in the day helped move the earlier cars was to install nickel shells on them to make them look newer. Never had any experience with them myself. I have seen several pre '26 cars and trucks with nickel shells, but I don't know if they were the later shells or earlier ones that had been plated. This is getting confusing! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:07 am:

David - I think I read recently that dealer installed nickel shells as an incentive was a common practice in Australia or New Zealand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:15 am:

One quick note. All of the '26-'27 shells that I have looked at have two small round holes along the welting slots for two small flat-head screws to attach the shell to the radiator with. The earlier shells do not attach that way. Just something easy to look for at swap meets. I mostly have had low or brass radiator cars and do not have a '23-'25 shell. I do have a '26-'27 nickel shell, but it is rough and needs quite a bit of repair. It could be available for cheap though.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:38 am:

Harold, yes , I read that too. What I was referring to was in the U.S. though. I read that several years ago somewhere. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:53 am:

Wayne, my '24 roadster radiator shell has the two screws you mention and the radiator has matching attachment points. How was the radiator secured to the shell in earlier models?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:20 am:

William, I have one off of my 23-24 roadster. Here is a pic of my car, it is a nickled shell.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/EZT1.jpg

There are a couple little cracks in it but if you want it you can have it for $20 plus shipping, I live in Lafayette LA (really Branch but I'm mostly in Lafayette for work). The nickel is bad but it would make a great shell painted. I really dont care for the nickled look so I'm putting a regular one that I've fitted to the original radiator on mine and will paint it black.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/EZFEED/My%20vehicles/Picture247.jpg

Lemme know...I have tons of other parts as well. Here at home I have mostly running gear. Allot of NOS stuff too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:26 am:

Hey, I dont know whay I posted that! LOL! In my mind I was thinking axle parts?:S The above described radiator is free to you if you pay shipping or pick it up. I wouldn't charge for a less than perfect part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:40 am:

Jump on it William. Looks like Patrick has the correct shell for the right price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:57 am:

OK Patrick Martin: You can't post a picture like you did without telling us where it was taken. That is quite a junk yard photo of the red roadster with a nickel radiator. Your back yard? Have a great new year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

I think a few people mentioned they have seen nickle shells on 23-25's as well as plain shells on 26-27's. Yes, you do see this quite a bit, but the next time you see one, look at how the hood fits to the radiator, firewall, and the gap along the hood shelves... Yes, you can make it work, but the fit is not very good. If you work at bending the upper hood panels, you can make the fit look halfway decent, but someone that knows what they are looking at will still be able to pick it out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration