Squirrel Mascot

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Squirrel Mascot
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:52 pm:

My Christmas present to myself is a brass squirrel holding an acorn and mounted on a radiator cap. I have seen a squirrel mascot somewhat similar to this one but holding a nut instead.

I would like to replicate the squirrel mascot and I wonder which one is authentic. I believe it would make treasured gift. I ask for help.

c:\my squirrel.JPG

WILLIAM CUDDY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:56 pm:

my squirrel.JPG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:58 pm:

c:\my squirrel.JPG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

squirrel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:49 pm:

THAT is COOL!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Stinson on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:10 am:

Is that the one that was sold on T-bay UK about 2 weeks ago?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:35 am:

A friend used to have a soft-toy squirrel wired on the back axle, got 'em every time at shows: 'What's that!?' 'He's there to pick up the nuts when they fall off'

I have a 1 1/2" high metal squirrel on my rad-cap and, like you William, I was thinking of doing some with a hex nut in his hands - the tricky bit is doing a nice bit of sculpting of the figure, getting it cast is easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:37 am:

You got to be careful of extra's on top of the riad. caps as they tend to break off the rad. neck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:39 pm:

Thomas

Yes, I purchased it on e-bay just before Christmas.

Jem

If I can be assured that my squirrel is authentic, then I plan to have it copied "as is".

John

I will be careful of the extra weight - it will only appear on special occasions!! I would be more afraid of theft rather than breakage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:16 pm:

William

Here is an original squirrel radiator cap, this picture is from the collection at Gilmore
antique car Museum in Mich.
pic here

Now Bob S. makes new castings for the Henry bust I think, maybe we can get him to make this nutty one.....I would love to have one too!

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:06 pm:

I did make this one for a Canadian friend's T. It's Canada's national symbol.

Canadian beaver

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:32 pm:

...Also the MIT mascot - Natures Little Engineer. Appears on the MIT class rings which are called "Brass Rats" in recognition of the rodent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:49 am:

If I were to integrate the cast of the squirrel with the radiator cap, along the lines of the Gilmore Musem mascot as posted by Dan, what are the Dye specifications so as to make the thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

William
Typically on something like this you would "single point" it on a lathe. The problem becomes gripping the casting. You would want to have a new rad neck loose handy to use as a thread gauge when you did this. A die like this would cost a small fortune to buy and would be a bunch of work to make.
I suppose for a fixture to machine it you could use some "Bondo" to make a holder that would mount to your lathe face plate. I imagine those originals used something like that when they were produced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

How about buying a rad cap and casting the squirrel around it?

Of course the reason the figure is usually 'loose' on the cap is so you can twist it straight once it is screwed on, otherwise you have to be a bit fancy to get him looking straight ahead, such as putting a grubscrew in the filler neck (which is a good anti-theft idea anyway).

Happy Healthy 2010 everybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:06 pm:

Jem, if you use one the rubber O-Ring type of radiator cap gaskets the some of the vendors sell, you can turn the cap where ever it needs to be. That's what I do with my MotoMeter. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:27 pm:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but Dan's photo reminded me of something I haven't thought about for years (and years!).

My grandfather called his T (it was actually a TT) his "Baby Lincoln". At the time I just thought he was being funny. Later I read that the Model A's (1928 et seq. versions) were called the Baby Lincoln becasue they were modeled after the Lincoln cars of the day, only a much smaller and more econimical version. It also seems to me that there was some connection to Edsel Ford, who had around that time, I think, aquired Lincoln. Calling his dad's car the "Baby" was kind of a play on the reality. However, I'm not sure about this.

So, if any of this is ture, wouldn't it be kinda out of sequence to call a Model T a "Baby Lincoln"? I always thought it was just my grandfather, but the radiator ornament in Dan's photo demonstrates others also called the Model T by that name.

Anyhow, I'm just curious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:30 pm:

I went to the local "farm store" And bought a big thick O ring, like Dave suggested, then flattened one side a little on the belt sander, It was actually a little to thick and my dog-bone cap fits just right. Sure beats using a stack of gaskets.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration