Rather than continuing to bang my head against the wall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Rather than continuing to bang my head against the wall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 07:26 pm:

Someone on here must have some photos of a 23 touring car top - in various stages of assembly? Please post or better yet - email me the full size photos? mtfca@modelTengine.com I need a good shot of the straps and bow coverings right now, something is not quite right at the moment and I'm going cross-eyed trying to figure it out.

I found this page using modeltmotor.com: http://fordfarm.net/23-5RdTopSockets.html but it does not show what I need and it's the wrong body type anyway. It found six pages of search results "top bows" from this forum but none show the whole picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

Tim,

I looked but didn't run across any good photos showing many one man top details. I filed the ones from the 1925 roadster (thank you Phil Mino for posting that type of information!).

Note a word of caution -- Ford of Canada introduced a "one man top" in 1920. And they had approximately 5 different versions. So if your top has had parts replaced or if it was built up from parts be sure they are all from the same series (i.e. USA 1923-1925 or one of the Canadian versions -- but not a top with mixed top irons from various year ranges or countries. And of course there were also accessory one man tops sold to replace the earlier 1922 two men and a boy tops.

If someone wants to e-mail photos rather than resizing and posting them -- I'll gladly resize and post them if you "cc" me on the e-mail. My address is on the third line of my profile -- just click on my name at the beginning of this post.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Naquin on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 11:46 pm:

I'd send you pics of my '23, but I don't think the bow coverings are right. Not near enough cushion- my top is probably 40-50 years old and it is splitting where it didn't get enough protection- I like the old, tea-colored look of the underside, so I'm fixing to patch it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:42 am:

Phil Mino also has touring info on his site:
http://www.fordfarm.net/25TrgTop.html
http://www.fordfarm.net/25TrgTop2.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:09 am:

John - thank you! I will check the dimensions later. I bought all new bows and sockets. One middle bow is sitting crooked and I'm not happy with it. Maybe the straps and pads will hold it straight, haven't gotten that far yet. I thought it wise to seek council before nailing and cutting.

One thing I see right off the bat is the bow covering in Phil's photos. I can't tell from the photo if it's spiral or linear-ly wrapped. The instructions say "wrap bow" - with no photo.

FYI - I'm using Cartouche kits for everything on this car. I'll post comments later on how it all worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:23 am:

John,

Nice looking 1924 touring with a future Model T owner on your web page. Thanks so much for pointing us in the right direction. And Thanks again Phil for posting the information so others can use it again in the future.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:55 am:

Tim,

I put all new bows and sockets on my '15-'16. Although they at somewhat different, the agony is the same. Call me and we can co-miser-ate.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:00 pm:

This is test message

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration