Old Picture of Barn Find

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Old Picture of Barn Find
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 09:45 pm:

A few months ago I posted pictures of a couple barns finds that I acquired. One was a 1920 Center Door and the other was a 1922 coupe. I received a picture this week of the 1922 coupe from the early 50's taken with the person who owned the car. The picture appears to have been staged as the young man is holding a map and the car is pulled up to the road closed signs. After seeing this picture it comfirms my decision to return this car to it's original beauty.

picture
picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:04 am:

Now that is what I call a nice coupe. Properly returned to its former glory and it will be a REALLY nice coupe.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:09 am:

Ken,

I am currently restoring a '22 Coupe also. It looks like there is a visor over the front window. I was told they didn't have them in '22 but my car had holes in the front upper frame where a visor could have been. I also purchased an original photo from the 20's that shows a visor but it is not a good shot of the car front. Would you please post some pictures of the front the Coupe and the visor for me. All views of the car would be appreciated too.

Thanks
Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:04 am:

My unrestored "22" coupe shows no signs of having provisions on it for a visor but I would like to put one on when I get around to restoring it. Would also like to put one the almost finished "22" center dr.

22 coupe 22 center dr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:05 am:

The visor is probably aftermarket. The Coupes came with tops which protruded about an inch and a half in front of the windshield, but no actual visor.

I had a nicely-restored '21 Coupe which I traded for a '15 Coupelet in "project" condition. The '21 was a very nice car, and we enjoyed touring in it. It's an advantage to have a closed T sometimes.

Kenny -- I know you'll like the car a lot when you get it finished. That paint stripe around the belt line is a nice touch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan C on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:35 am:

Bob,
There are three cars in that photo. Are they all yours? !!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:27 pm:

At what point did they add the metal to the upper part of the doors? I know they did in '23, so what about '22? The car pictured is a nice car. If I had a closed car, I would want one like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:40 pm:

Yes, I know I have more then I can work on now but having been an automotive instructor for 31 years it was hard to turn down good buys when they came along. I have 3 Model A's and 6 Model T's plus some other types as well as 6 antique tractors with one being a "23" Fordson. Here a couple others I have.

23 touring

fire truck

MB

Model A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 06:28 pm:

Wow, neat herd there; nice lookin' Briggs Fordor too.
T'
David D.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Gebeau on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 06:48 pm:

Bob, those are all nice cars. I noticed the XK140 Jag roadster in the garage. I had a 1955 XK140M in 1958-9 that I traded for a 1958 XK150S roadster, wish I had one or both back. Art Gebeau.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 06:54 pm:

Art
We missed you at the State Fair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:02 pm:

Here a period picture of a 22 coupe, not mine, that was given to me by a friend. Looks like a little dent under the side window. Pretty good washing his car with a tie on. Bob

22 coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:24 pm:

Here's pictures of the visor. I assumed it was original but could be after market. It's been on there a long time though. This car is unmolested so I'm not sure?

Denny, let me know what other pictures you'd like to see as this one will be disassembled soon.

picture
picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:35 pm:

Larry, The upper parts of the doors on the '22 are wood. Not sure what year they went to metal, must have been in '23.

I had a conversation with another member last night wondering if any of the wood portions of the doors were ever left with natural wood rather than painted? I assume they were all painted but does anyone know for sure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:59 pm:

They were painted black originally. But some folks just can't help themselves when they are redoing a car and see bare wood. Wheel spokes are a good example, as are the upper portions of the Coupes and Sedans.

That visor is very well done. I'm sure they were a popular accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:45 pm:

Just a thought for you taller fellows; my Centerdoor had a visor on it when I purchased the car. I quickly discovered that my 6'4" frame was too tall to enjoy a closed car with a visor. I simply couldn't see very well without scrunching way down in the seat. The visor had to go! I enjoyed the car for several years without the visor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:53 pm:

Early '50's Pontiacs had a half-moon shaped prism mounted just above the speedometer on cars that were equipped with a sun visor. (mainly to make it easier to see overhead suspended traffic lights) I wonder if there is any "antique-looking" prism that was available as an accessory from Western Auto or somebody during the Model T or Model A era? (closed Model A's had a visor too) Maybe Jay would know,...???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:39 am:

Regarding painted spokes: A good source, apart from era photos is the original spare part catalogs. In my danish 1930 Model T spare parts catalog I can get new spokes in various colors - including no color = natural wood. Now that could be for the paintshop to give them whatever color the wheel may have got, ut it could also be that some of the cars may have had unpainted spokes originally.
If you look on my profile and my car it is an example of a car that restored have got unpainted wood. The car was originally all black.
I have considered a lot what to do, but then one other veteran car guy came to me and said: Michael, your car got this look in 1958. It was then 33 years old. Now it have had this look for 50 years and this is how we all know the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:39 am:

Bob, the sunvisor that Kenny photographed is exactly
the same as Ford furnished on their late '23(wood-
framed door coupes). Kenny, I don't believe your's to be an aftermarket item.
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:43 am:

Harold,
I have one of the traffic light viewers you are referring to on my '55 Chev. In '55 I believe it was a $4.50 option. They are now repopped at at about $45.00.
Floyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 08:53 am:

Thank you Kenny for the photos.

I am just completing the entire re-wooding of my '22 Coupe and have started to reapply the sheet metal. The interior is next.

The door handles someone put on mine were garage door handles and I want to find the correct door hardware

If you get a chance I would like to see photos of door hardware inside and out, any interior shots that you can post would also be appreciated. Does your car have an interior and/or exterior rear view mirrors?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:46 pm:

Denny, send me an email and I'll send you some pictures of the interior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:38 am:

Kenny,

I sent you a message.

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:54 am:

The visor on the coupe is a Ford part, just not original to the coupe.

Looks like somebody took the visor off a T sedan in the junk yard and added it to the coupe. Ford did not equip coupes with visors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration