Seth Harbuck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Seth Harbuck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:01 am:

My condolences to you and your family. remember the good times it helps you get through the hard times.

I lost my father 14 years ago. All good memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:06 am:

Did Seth lose his dad?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:12 am:

Thank you Denny. I have great memories of my father and always will. We didn't always agree, he was usually right, but we always compromised for the best. Every project he was involved with was better off because of him. His teams always won.

Thanks again.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:27 am:

Sorry for your loss, Seth. You have no doubt been bothered for a long time by his illness. At least it gave you time to prepare. May he rest in peace, and may your sadness diminish with time.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:51 am:

Seth

Our sincere condolences.

Harvey & Karen Decker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:12 am:

My condolences Seth. No doubt the world lost a good man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dena & Dennis Gorder on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:15 am:

We are so sorry about the loss of your dad. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I can onlt imagine your loss. I am fortunate my father is still with us at 92. He taught me how to drive a T around age 80.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:50 am:

I'm sorry Seth.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:53 am:

Elsa and I share your grief Pal,
Bob & Elsa Robb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Keefer on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Sorry for your loss, Seth.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

Sorry for your loss Seth, my dad passed away 22 years ago on his 81st birthday. I know your dad had to be a good man because he raised a great son.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 12:51 pm:

Seth,

I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad. You are and will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. When I lost my Dad – it was biggest loss I had ever experienced. It took me a good year to work through the grief and to get back to functioning normally again. I used to whistle a lot before he passed away and when my wife heard me start whistling again she knew I was getting better. If you are not familiar with concept of the stages of grief take a look at: http://www.recover-from-grief.com/index.html or http://www.way2hope.org/5_stages_of_grief_and_loss.htm or one of the other websites that describe those different stages. I know I went through them and back through several of them several different times. It is just nice to know that our feelings are normal and we are not losing it.

If there is anything we can be of help with – just click on my name and the third line down is my e-mail address. I can relate all to well to your comment “We didn't always agree, he was usually right,….” I still remember returning home after my first year in the military and apologizing to both my Mom and my Dad for so many of my actions. I had thought their whole goal in life was to make me miserable and during that first year out on my own, I came to realize they were just trying to keep me from killing myself or wrecking the car or something else really dumb. And I’m still learning how they must have felt at times as my own children are now doing a few things that don’t always appear the wisest choices to me.

I’ve shared the story below in the past. But it is still from my heart and I hope it will be an encouragement to you now. It’s about me and how I felt about my Dad shortly after his funeral and then a few years later. When you stopped by a few years ago – and we walked through the garage – you passed by the same old vice mentioned below.

I wondered through the empty garage and saw the vice sitting there. Partially opened waiting for its owner to return. The same hand made vice that had once been used by Granddad in his blacksmith shop in rural Arkansas. The same one we used to hold my “block of wood” that became my Cub Scout Pine Derby car. The one we used to stretch the inner tubes on and wire brush the nail hole before we would put on the Camel “hot patch”. It was always fun to take them outside, strike the match and watch the smoke fill the air. Where once the hammer pounded or the drill whirled the garage was silent now. Unfinished projects lined the walls and so many items kept “because we might need it someday.” It had been months since you were well enough to drive the T, but you kept the battery charged and kept a tag hanging from the windshield to keep track of when it had last been run. I opened the passenger door, reached through to the coil box and turned the key to battery. Buzz…..How many times had we done that together? Before then I had never had a time in my life that I didn’t have both you and the Ts. And for the first time it sure seemed the coils were singing such a lonesome tune. Like a faithful Golden Retriever I think they somehow knew you wouldn’t be coming back again. How many stories did you tell me about growing up with Ts? About your Dad and his colorful vocabulary when his T wouldn’t start. And how you would often start it and drive it down to the blacksmith shop after he had walked to work?

Now several years later I still rotate the switch to battery and listen for the coils. And it is a much happier tune they sing. They remind me of the many many good times we had together. When a young boy learned how to be more responsible because his Dad trusted him with his T.

Below is a picture of Noel E. Bullock as he raced up Pike’s Peak to win the 1922 hill climb. While I don’t think it is theologically correct – I still like to think of our Dads “climbing towards the sky.” And some day – by God’s Grace -- we’ll make that climb to.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 19l5 Model T Ford Touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl v schlachter on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:21 pm:

Sorry to here of you're loss
Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

Seth,

Very sorry to hear of your loss but at least his last day was a good one and he went peacefully. Remember the good times with him.

Walt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:51 pm:

Seth, I too offer my condolences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:02 pm:

Seth, accept my condolences.
Hap - that was touching!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

Seth, so sorry to hear of your loss of your Dad. My Dad passed away 15 years ago next month and I know how hard it is. Remember, no two people ever agree on everything, and it would be a boring world if we all agreed. The good memories that you have will alway be with you and I'll bet that you'll experience the same thing that has happened with me. Your Dad will always be with you, and as time goes by, you'll find out more and more that your Dad taught you a lot more than you've ever realized before, and for the rest of your life, you'll find out that many of the most important things he taught you had nothing to do with anything he ever said, but just by example and by his very being. I'm sure that one thing he taught you was to be an independant thinker, and that's why you and your Dad didn't always agree. From time to time, things will come up in your life that you will instinctively consider, whether or not your Dad would approve. My Dad was a perfectionest and quite a "finish carpenter". To this day, I have to line up all the wood screw slots evenly,....I just have to. Grieving is natural, but carry on in a way that you know your Dad would approve,...........harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

Seth - You have my sympathy. I lost my Dad 11 years ago, and it's still hard to bear.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

My grandfather died in 1960 and when Neil Armstrong took his first step on the moon nine years later, my Dad's comment was, "I wish Dad were here to see this." My Dad died eighteen years ago this month, and I came to understand what he meant by his comment. There are still things I find myself wanting to discuss with him. My condolences.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:30 pm:

Seth,We all usually go through it,and even though it's been 43 years i still miss my Dad!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:47 pm:

Seth, I've been busy helping care for the ill and injured this past weekend as well as digging out of a blizzard. I missed the notice of your dad's passing. I wish to offer my sincere condolences and prayers for his joyfilled entry to heaven. We've never met face to face, but this forum makes it seem we've been friends for years. I know the heartache you are going through. His love made you who you are today. Treasure that and his memories forever. Live like he would like you to live. You'll see him again someday.
I'm going to be out of touch for a few needed days off. I'm building a cabin a mile off the road in the Black Hills. I'm going to be using the resurected radial arm saw my dad and I used to convert the chicken coops to hog houses, and dozens of other projects. The ache for him is still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:26 pm:

We are sorry for your loss, Seth. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Karen and Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:34 pm:

Seth,
I offer my sympathy and condolence also. My parents passed away in 2005(mother) and 2006(father). They were together for almost 63 years. My parents nurtured my interest in antiques of all kinds. I worked in our family business with my dad ever since I was in high school. I used to hate it and then we grew closer as time went on. Now I miss them. Like your garage, Seth, there are many reminders and memories here at our business.
Sincerely-Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 04:46 pm:

Seth,

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. Hap's story is so touching.....probably to many of us. My father passed away almost 13 years ago; my mom has been gone 30 years. Just like Dick ....I still want to give my dad a call when anything of importance happens in my life. He bought a 24 T touring in 1939 for 15 dollars and drive it through college. It didn't have a top, so he and his friends would tie an old blanket on the winshield standchions and hang it over the back seat. Then out came the floorboards for winter driving. Alva Moore (Hank Kimball from Green Acres) was one of those friends. So many wonderful stories. Much of my first knowledge about the T came from him. Ron would cringe if I told him my dad adjusted the coils by listening to them "sing!" He taught me how to make a muffler out of stove pipe.

Seth, remember the good times and smile....maybe not right now, but you will someday!!!

Take Care,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy A. Moen on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Thou my heart may be filled with darkness and sorrow... yet my wish is for you to look UP and see Gods goodness... for there you find peace. Tim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 05:11 pm:

Seth,sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 1979 and not a day goes by,I don't wish I could call and talk to him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 07:51 pm:

Seth
We often disagree, but in times like this I always liked this passage by the Greek playwright Aeschylus (c. 525-456 BC):
Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget
falls drop by drop upon the heart,
until, in our own despair,
against our will,
comes wisdom
through the awful grace of God.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward J. Baudoux on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:03 pm:

Seth, you summed it up perfectly in your post "I have great memories of my father and always will. We didn't always agree, he was usually right, but we always compromised for the best. Every project he was involved with was better off because of him. His teams always won." Well said. I feel the same way. Dad passed on july 24 this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:13 pm:

I've already sent my condolences but I'll send them again; Sorry for your loss Seth. Eleven years ago
tomorrow we buried my Father and not a day goes by that I don't think of him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:22 pm:

You have all been very kind. It's days like today when I really appreciate my friends.

The memorial service today was the perfect tribute and celebration of my father's full to the brim life.

Certainly, I already miss him but remembering all the good times is easy because there were so many good times to remember.

I thank you all for being there for me. I hope your New Year is filled with joy and prosperity.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:34 pm:

Seth,

Sorry to learn of your loss. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 08:55 pm:

I think about this sometimes. We generally start out as kids and have parents and grandparents. As we grow older, we begin to lose our grandparents. By the time they are all gone, we are often grown and getting married, and having our own kids. Our parents become the grandparents and we become the parents. Time marches on and we begin to lose our parents. When they are gone, our kids have begun to marry and have their own kids. We are the grandparents, our children are the parents and our grandchildren are the kids. Everyone ratchets up another notch and we are at the head of the line. Being at the head of the line is often a good thing, but maybe not always. Anja and I lost all four of our parents between 1988 and 1997. The next time, it will be our turn. Life marches on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By coreywalker on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:15 pm:

Seth, I am sorry to hear about your loss and send my condolences as well. It'll be 10 years in March since my dad passed away. I cherish all the fond memories of him. Those things cannot be taken away. -Corey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kociemba on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

Seth, Sorry for your loss. Sending our condolences to you and your family.
Dave & Ruth Kociemba

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 10:10 pm:

Sorry to hear of your loss Seth. My condolences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:28 pm:

I'm very sorry to hear about your father Seth. It will be easier in time. This too shall pass my friend. He will always live on in your memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:48 pm:

Seth, I am truly saddened to hear about your dad. I lost my own father just two weeks ago, on the 12th. He did it his way, after a long and full life, retaining his dignity and sense of humor. Hang in there, as I know you will. The show must go on.
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:53 am:

Seth, my sincere condolences. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Bowen (Aust.) on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:07 am:

Seth,
I can't imagine what you're going through.
My sincerest condolences.
Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:33 am:

Seth, please add my condolences to everyone else. It will get better but everyone has there own pace. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 04:43 am:

Seth, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. I lost my Dad a couple of years ago now, and gained a daughter a year ago. I wished the two could have met...both special people. God bless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 08:44 am:

Hi Seth, I bet your dad and my dad are talking shop right now. Each generation is different, but indelibly shaped by the previous one. Gone but never forgotten. Have a fine 2010.

Best regards, Erich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:29 pm:

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I was twenty-one I was astonished at how much he had learned."
Mark Twain

I miss my Pop every day and remember the smile(s) on his face when we would cranked up the T and head out.

Those long ago events, now my most treasured memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred E HoustonD on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

Seth; I am sorry for your loss. My dad died suddenly at age 49, after 30 years on Camel cigarettes; common for men who worked in the early oil fields in Oklahoma. He set my moral compass and taught me to wrench. I shall be forever grateful.

Seth, I appreciate your considerable contribution to this forum and your help on several of my projects. Thank you.

Harvey - Great Mark Twain contribution.

Hap - You have a way with words, man.
Where did you get that photo? I did the story on Noel, but my copy of that photo was from a newspaper clipping. Could you send me a copy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Morse on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Seth, I'm very sorry to learn of your loss. I will pray that God comforts you during this tough time.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:58 pm:

Seth,

My condolences to you and your family for your loss.

Bob Cascisa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:16 pm:

Seth,

I extend my condolences to you and your family. Although I don’t know you personally, I feel you are my friend as is everyone else here on the forum and the club.

It is evident that this brotherhood of men and women sincerely care about you in your time of personal loss.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cecil paoletti on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:25 pm:

Seth, please accept my sincere condolences on your loss. I lost my dad in 1985, he was 85 years old and still working his farm. Time helps, but I still feel his loss and remain in awe of the wisdom of a transplanted Italian peasant. We all, as part of the family of man, feel your loss personally. Cecil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett - Australia on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:48 am:

Sorry Seth,

I still remember my Grandpa 12 years gone... It was hard but I can't imagine how you feel losing your Dad.

Don't be afraid to shed a tear, and then remember the good times.

Take care.

Anthony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:53 am:

Again, thank you all. Your thoughts and support mean the world to me.

Extended family has all scattered now and so things are quickly becoming about as normal as they ever will be so the missing of my father is a bit tougher now.

But I'm blessed to have such wonderful friends all over the globe. Sure, I'd like to shake hands with all of you and personally thank you for thinking of me but it's OK that I can't.

I'm mighty lucky to have all of you.

Happy New Year, my friends,

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:07 pm:

Seth,

My sincerest condolences also. Loosing close family is a difficult task, and as Dick lodge said above..we are all unfortunate to see most of those we revered as young ones go before us.

Hap's story was also touching and I'll share a little tidbit of my own. My own Dad passed away 37 years ago and it was a huge hollow in my life and Dad was the ultimate tinkerer and ultimate guru on how things worked and better yet, how they could be fixed...and he could fix anything!

In my garage ever since, his work jacket has hung on a hanger on the wall, above the fray and grease, gets dusted off each year and placed back on the nail. Perhaps a bit silly, but when there is frustration and I do wish I could 'call'..,looking at that jacket hanging there always gives me pause to see my way through. There is also 'his' hammer, and 'his' special woodhandled screwdriver, and 'his' silly opposite screw thread crescent wrench that have a spot in the chest....they are not used regularly, but saved for when 'the going gets tough' on something.

Perhaps silly of me, but it has always worked for me, even though the kids ask from time to time why not just take the jacket down and store it somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By EDWARD R LEVY on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:04 pm:

Seth
A belated note of sorrow regards your recent loss. I am the youngest of three children & I feel sometimes like the most perplexing of the three to my late father(1900-1987). He was a man of great discipline & almost NO MECHANICAL ABILITY who depended on me to fix things (lawn mowers,pilot lights out, oil changes etc). I always tried to help but despite his protests I always offered rather complex explanations , He would get bored & look at me & say " I asked you what time it is and you insist on building me a watch" My y simple advice in your time of sorrow is remember the good times.
Edward R. Levy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:07 pm:

Seth sorry to hear of your loss, call me if you need anything. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie Johansen on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:57 pm:

Seth:

I did not know that your dad passed away. Opening the forum this morning I could not help but see how many of us know you through the forum but have never met you! I hope that as you read the messages you find some comfort in the fact that so many people wish you well in this difficult time for you. Please remember the good times you had with your dad and may we all try to pass some of this "good knowledge" our dads provided to our offspring.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration