Model A and model Tgenerator, one housing.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Model A and model Tgenerator, one housing.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pep C. Strebeck on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:15 pm:

With winter here I have the chance to go through and do some projects that I have been putting off. The first one that I pulled from under the bench is a generator that I bought at a swap meet a few years ago. I gave it a quick glance when I bought it, model A pulley, model A mounting, $2, I paid for it and really never gave it a second look until today.

The generator will fit on a model A but it is actually a model T generator, but not a Ford generator. The end of the armature shaft has been turned down to a taper to accept a model A pulley and a stamped end plate and bottom bracket have been added so it will mount to the model A timing cover. Aside from the modified armature shaft and the two added brackets it is a model T generator.

I am working under the belief that this is just an aftermarket generator that was sold to fit either the T or the A. I am sure that someone else out there has seen one of these before. Would anyone by chance know who the makers might have been or maybe even have an old ad for them? I am just going to rebuild it as a spare T generator and keep the other parts in a box. The bad part is, it is a good armature with the wrong end on the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:25 pm:

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so if you dare try to upload one, then that would be a big help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pep C. Strebeck on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 01:10 pm:

I have tried over and over again to post pictures on this forum with no luck. I stopped trying to post photos on here almost two years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:09 pm:

Hi Pep,

Happy New Year...
and with that comes new challenges...new obstacles..just like driving a T...a new brain teaser. Photo posting recently became more difficult, but as you can see, it can be done. I tried to send you an e-mail, but your profile does not allow it.
Pictures are wonderful - as Michael just said. Would you consider picking someone on the Forum that you know and forwarding to that person the picture you wish to post? Perhaps that person will do the job for you, and the rest of us can be educated, informed, and perhaps entertained!
A Happy & Healthy New Year to you...and great success to you in avoiding the potholes as you travel the road ahead.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:35 pm:

You may have an early 1928 Powerhouse style Model A generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pep C. Strebeck on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:54 pm:

Nope, not a powerhouse. It is a model T generator with an adaptor plate on the gear end and a bracket mounted underneath. These two pieces make up the standard shaped model A mounting bracket.

The adaptor plate on the gear end uses the six mounting screws for the original end cap to hold it in place. These are no cheap cobbled togehter brackets either, they are real nice finished stampings. When I had bought the generator originally I didn't even bother to look at the brush end, everything was model A up front, but model T in the back.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration