My 1918 is Now Running

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: My 1918 is Now Running
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:32 pm:

Hal and Karen drove all the way from Lyons, GA to help me get my Model T running. Hal was a blessing as he easily navigated the electrical and mechanical aspects of this car. He had this car running smooth as silk for the first time in 41 years. The car is oiling great, running smooth on mag. and a 6v bat we added. All cylinders are firing. Hal then took me out and taught me how to drive this thing - although I am in the backseat with my daughter in the photos below. Now its time to begin working on the small things - tinkering, as it is called. Thanks Hal and Karen!!!

run
run2

more photos at http://www.3dwoodcraft.com/t.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:50 pm:

That is just awesome. She looks just great. I see there is air in the tires now, too. Have a lot of fun running around in that little piece of history. You'll be the hit of the neighborhood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:39 pm:

Mark, that is SWEET!! What did your daughter think of it? Play your cards right and you might have some help with that "tinkerin'" Way to go! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:03 pm:

Mark,

Way to GO!!!! It looks like you will soon need to be giving driving lessons to others in the family.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap Tucker l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:22 pm:

That was mighty nice of Hal And Karen. They drove quite a ways to help you out - my hat is off to them. Just wondering how much Hal had to do to get it running? No starter. If he has magic fingers let us know, or just a good strong crankin arm.

Glad to hear you can run it on mag. Henry built one tough machine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:24 pm:

Way to go! believe me when I tell you, your fun has just started!

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:34 pm:

Hal checked all the wiring, set the timing, checked the coils, turned it over a few times and it started and ran smooth. I actually had 4 free starts - I think that is what he called them - starting when turned to BAT without cranking. Once it started running he switched over to MAG. For the next 2 hours it would start on first crank. Not a lot of cranking involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 07:38 pm:

Heartiest congratulations, Mark! Oh, are you ever going to have a fun spring/summer! In the meantime, imagine how cool it'll be picking your daughter up from school in a Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:19 pm:

Mark,Great New's!! Watch the quick steering and slow breaking! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:32 pm:

Hats off to Hal & Karen! Model T people are Tops!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:17 am:

Looks great,and enjoy the "T" I have 1919 Touring and am working on a 1917 Depot Hack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:30 am:

Mark, you have a beaut! What a wonderful way to start the New Year.
Lee Crenshaw
P. S. Bless the young man's heart from South Georgia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Sanders on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:45 am:

Boy is that a good look'n machine Mark! Now you can really enjoy it and piddle to your hearts delight.
Congrats...Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:47 am:

Hal and his family are good people.You wont find much better.
Glad you got it running.Now drive it till the cows come home!:>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john b joyce on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:06 pm:

Mark, what a gem! Two gems actually, the daughter and the car. Happy New year. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Rigdon on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:31 pm:

What a great New Year's posting Mark. Sounds like you have a really great running T. They are all wonderful, some just run better than others. Enjoy.

Bill R '25 Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:12 pm:

Congrats Mark, I know you will have a great time driving that car around, and wait to see the faces of your girls classmates when you show up at school, when I pick up my boy at school the kids love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:48 pm:

Congrats, Mark! Today you learned not only a bit about running and driving a T, but a bit about the quality and enthusiasm of the people in this hobby. Over the years, I've been involved in several different sports teams, clubs and hobbies, but I've never found a group of people like I've met in Model Ts. This hobby seems to be chock full of wonderful people like Hal and Karen. People who will drive an hour or more to come to your home and help you with your car, often seeking as their only reward, the opportunity to share the road with you on a tour some day. Kudos to Hal and Karen for serving our beloved hobby so well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:02 pm:

Boy, thanks for all the kind words. I hate to think I have to live up to this reputation now. It was a sheer pleasure to help Mark out with his T. I hope I don't have anyone buffaloed into thinking I'm an expert, though.

Mark's car is in really good shape. You would never know it had been sitting for 41 years. After a few preliminary adjustments and some safety precautions, we tried to start it. It coughed a few times and then started. When it did, it purred like a kitten. You should have seen the look on Mark's face! I bet we didn't pull it 10-15 times before she started. The only reason I shut it down was because the accessory water pump was not turning and I was afraid we would wear his belt out. A few turns by hand and a turn or two of the grease cups and it was freed up. I think it started on the first pull every time after that. Switched over to MAG and it still ran! We pulled one of the front dipper tray bolts and it seemed to be getting plenty of oil. We did some band adjustment and went for a ride. The car is great shape for 92 years old and like I said before, you would never know it had been sitting up for 41 years. The previous owner must have taken very good care of it. I attribute our success to the car being in such good shape, not to any magical abilities of my own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:09 pm:

Cute kid, Bless her heart, what a sweety.
George n L.A.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration