I need to put '26-'27 Wire Wheels on Small Drum, - How?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: I need to put '26-'27 Wire Wheels on Small Drum, - How?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:06 pm:

I thought we covered this once before here but I just cannot seem to find it on the search right now so please bear with me as we discuss this one more time.

I have a set of '26-'27 wire wheels & tires all ready to go that I would like to (temporarily) install on a small drum rear end that currently has a set of A/C (or Bennett type) external brakes. I am wanting to do this so the wood wheels can be sent out and be rebuilt. Thus I need these wire wheels installed for several months. I also should explain the rear end has a Ruckstell so I can't just do away with the external brakes either.

So do I just order a small brake drum for a wood wheels and re-drill it for the wire wheel hub bolt pattern? Has anyone done this because it appears the small brake drum does not have the same amount of "back-spacing" as the '26-'27 drum does. What am I missing?

TIA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 11:08 pm:

You can redrill small drums or buy new ones already drilled for the wire wheel hub. Where you are going to run into trouble is those outside brakes. I'm not sure that they will work unless you put at least a 1/2 inch spacer on there. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:25 am:

Brent
The lined brake shoes on the small drum work pretty good. You might consider this for a couple of months if you drive accordingly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:12 am:

You can do away with the external brakes with a Ruckstell its unlikely to be able to select neutral if its working properly . Most T's with a Ruckstell don't have external brakes.

Been driving my T for 40 years with only normal T brakes and a Ruckstell no problems, would be confidant to drive it under any conditions without external brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 07:52 am:

I bought a set of the T wood to T wire adapters off of ebay a couple of years ago that I never used. I had a set of T wood to A wire adapters and they worked well so I see no reason why these wouldn't also.

I could be talked out of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:01 am:

Remember Rosenthal.. R.I.P.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:07 am:

quote:

You can redrill small drums or buy new ones already drilled for the wire wheel hub. Where you are going to run into trouble is those outside brakes. I'm not sure that they will work unless you put at least a 1/2 inch spacer on there.

Thanks Jack. Specifically who is selling the small drums drilled for wire hubs?

Also, I am not following you regarding the comment "Where you are going to run into trouble is those outside brakes". Please elaborate. And, exactly where are you speaking of a " spacer? Are you suggesting I use a wood hub and convert it to accept a wire wheel, --thus the spacer outspaces the wheel?

Peter, I may be forced to go this way but I must confess that touring out west this next summer, and in western N Carolina is much more comforting with a little "assistance". Thanks Les.

I was hoping this was going to be a little easier to do. Maybe it is and I am making it more difficult. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:31 am:

The best fix? Front hyd brakes with a slave cyl to operate the tranny brake.

b

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:43 am:

Brent,John McClarin will sell you the new small drums,drilled for wire wheel hubs. The brakes will work if you have enough room to mount them. I didn't on my 15 speedster,and will have to add a spacer between the hub and drum so I have enough clearance.(the back flange on the wire wheel interfer with the mounting .)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:02 am:

I believe the parts vendors have adaptor plates that can be used on the wood wheel hubs without drilling any holes. The adaptors should also give you the space you need so you can use the small drums. This would be the safe way to do the conversion, and would not alter the original hubs.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Ralph
I really like that brake conversion pedal of yours. I trust I will see that in person soon. One of the neat things is that the pedal will still move sideways just like a T pedal so it will look right in operation
I could get those parts cast in steel so it would almost look factory.
I suppose a person would need to make both a wide and narrow pedal version. Maybe cast "4 wheel brake" on the pedal surface for a anti-slip surface.
It would sure work with a hydraulic operated front brake set up!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:46 pm:

Hey Brent I have a 17 roadster which you know with a ruckstell and 3:1 gears that I have driven all over the country in all kinds of situations, Pike's peak twice, Trail Ridge etc. Now I understand a roadster is light weight, but I for sure go up and down hills and mountains in lower gearing. I will say I have better stopping power with standard gears in a ruckstell that is in another car. I use lined small drum shoes and if I get uneasy with my ability to slow down on any given hill I just turn the key off, leave it in gear and get much better stopping power. An engine fully re-tarded is still pulling you forward. Just REMEMBER To advance the spark before you turn the key back on or BOOM!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration