Starter removal...1925 roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Starter removal...1925 roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JACK ROSSI on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

After pulling the bendix cober it appears I have a broken lock washer....Is a puller the only way to get the spring off...i'm just getting started on this project and have let the organization of my tool room get way out of control....I have pullers, but in another location and I hate to start buying duplicates at this late date....I am impressed with the wide variety of approaches you men use for so many mechanical problems...I started my career as an a&e airplane mechanic and pilot, but the genius of Henty Ford as I srudy him and his car is so remarkable as to really put me in awe of this marvelous automobile.....I feel like an apprentice mechanic.....Thanks for any suggestion that will save me trips to the napa store......flivver jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:40 pm:

No pullers required.
Simple bolt removal is all it takes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 09:55 pm:

Remove, not just loosen the bolt on the outer end of the bendix. pull off the end of the bendix, remove the woodruff key then remove the rest of the bendix. Only then do you pull the starter or you will damage the mag coil pack. Good Luck.

Steven

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:27 pm:

Jack
If your asking about removing the Bendix "drive head" after you remove the spring bolts Ford made a special tool for this purpose.
You can adapt a gear puller if you do not have the original tool.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 10:34 pm:

Jack
I should add the end of the armature shaft "drive head" spring screw hole and keyway are commonly upset making the Bendix "drive head" difficult to remove. Hence the puller.
Good luck
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JACK ROSSI on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:17 am:

Thanks very much men, we will get to it right away....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration