Used front wheelbearings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Used front wheelbearings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:24 am:

I have a pile of used front hubs plus a box of old front wheelbearings that I've been given.

I'm putting aside all the threaded Timken outer wheelbearings that look as though they might be reusable. Since the inners are much cheaper and readily available, I'm not spending too much time on them.

Most of the outer bearings in the box have been separated from the cups. Is it possible to purchase new cups for the outer bearings? Or is this false economy and am I being silly tying to preserve these old bearings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:13 am:

It's never foolish to preserve Model T parts. One never knows when he might need one when no new part will be available. Right now we are fortunate to have many new parts available, but in the future?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George House on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:45 am:

Nevin,
You're smart to save those outer wheel bearings. I have many myself but I'm not necessarily smart. The races or cups are, indeed, readily available and relatively inexpensive. Happy New Year ! .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:46 am:

Nervon:

What I did was to take all my bearing that I have and washed then in gas(petrol) and then used a good grease and hand packed them and wrapped them in a waxed paper and put them in a two pound coffee can and put the lid on and put them on the shelf. Those that had the races I matched a race to each bearing, those that did not as I said iI just wrapped them up. The grease I had was just a good cup grease. When and if I need or sell them they can use a good wheel bearing grease when installing them in the hub. Just for thoughts.

Happy New Year to one and all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 05:48 pm:

Bill, that's exactly what I did except I wrapped them in plastic with grease. It could even have been a coffee tin too!

Most of the bearings had been put ungreased into a box and left about 30 years ago, so I think they are toast. They were right by the beach too!

I'm assuming that any 'shadows' on the rollers or cups will mean that they will be noisy and won't last.

I've been put in charge of cleaning out the basement of a T owner who recently passed away. It had been 30 years since he had a T.

So far I am up to two trailer loads of stuff, but the damp salty environment has not been kind to any parts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration