Painting wood wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Painting wood wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan C on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 12:53 pm:

What do you think about painting wood wheels. I stripped mine of old road tar and such but never could get all of it off. I stained and polyeurethaned them and they don't look too bad. But I noticed that some people paint them black. Can't afford to replace them yet with new wood-spoke wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:09 pm:

It is a matter of personal preference. If you do key word search, you will find many postings on how people paint them--this is almost like, "what kind of oils should I use."!! :-) I think there are multiple routes one can take to have nice-looking wheels.
T'
David D.
PS and I'm sure someone will mention the use of tar!:-)
PPS, and if y'all are from the southern states, "Tar" is what you put on your wheel to hold the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

To my knowledge, all T wood wheels came off the assembly line painted black. I have natural finished wood on one car and black on another. Having taught wood working in high school for a number of years, I appreciate the effort that some put in on natural wood finishes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 01:22 pm:

Harry

The Improved Car, 1926-1927 was available with optional varnished natural wood finished spoke wheels.

pic here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan C on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:02 pm:

Thanks fellas. Like the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:27 pm:

Susan:

I always strip my wheels and verathane or Urethane them. You will find if you do this where ever you go you will get a lot of compliments on your wheels.

If you want to take the time to do it, you might consider taking your felloe, hub and Flange in and get them powder coated with a glass black. By all means powder coat your rims.

A380a 16 wheel

A380b Minwax

I did the wheel in this picture 35 years ago and it still looks good.

A380c 24 wheel

I have been powder coating my rims for awhile. They hold their coat much better than paint. You can get a powder coat that is very similiar to galvanize.
A380d rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:51 pm:

We're doing a set right now. 96 years of paint on them when the car came in. They have been dipped, stripped, sandblasted, painted, and the clear poly is next.

Free advice: Take your time and do the best you can. If you have a professional furniture stripper nearby - suck it up and pay to have it done right. You'll be looking at them every time you use the car - for as long as you own it.
wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:05 pm:

I stand corrected Dan. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:11 pm:

Susan:

I am going to try some pictures again, please bear with me.

The first is a picture of one of the wheels I put on a 16 that I am slowly working on.

\image}A380a 16 Wheel}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:12 pm:

Susan:

I am going to try some pictures again, please bear with me.

The first is a picture of one of the wheels I put on a 16 that I am slowly working on.

A380a 16 Wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:15 pm:

Susan:

This is a wheel on my 1924 Coupe that I drive daily in the winter. I did this wheel about 35 years ago.

A380c 24 wheel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:20 pm:

Note the RIMS that you see in the two wheels above and I hope in the next picture are powder Coated.

I try to coat the RIMS as close to being galvanized as I can.

A380d Rim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:21 pm:

Dave:

First, Did you live at Brush Colorad at one time?
I t seemas as though I met you at a meet in Burlington, Colo. This wheeel looks great except blurred. Mine on my '19 is natural, done by Garrigan in California. These are none dempuntable. Will be changing to demountalbes very soon. Have to order some tires and tubes but looking forward to beaing able to change to a spare tire and go on.

Bill dugger
Redding,ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:23 pm:

Susan:

I have tried all kinds of finishes, Urethane and Verethane and who knows what else. On this last set of wheels I am trying Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

A3806b Minwax

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:35 pm:

Bill:

I lived in Aksron, Colorado near Brush, Colorado. I moved to Berthoud about 10 years ago and really like it here except for all the traffic. One nice thing is we have pretty mild winters. Usually when it snows it only lasts one day and then is gone. I was usually driving my Center Door when I drove to Burlington.

A277 CD in Front of the River Rock Cafe

This is a typical snow storm for Berthoud and not too often. This is a picture of my currant Ts.
365a Ts in front of my Shop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susan C on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:24 pm:

ALL of them are yours!!!! Can I come live with you?

Well, I cleaned the wheels as much as I could and sanded them although there is still black in the cracks which couldn't be removed. I think that I will probably paint them as they can never be cleaned so they have no blemishes. But I really, really like the look of natural wood rather than painted wood. You know I just can't get enough of your pictures Dave. Wow!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration