ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/31/09 TRAFFIC LIGHT VIEWER

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY 12/31/09 TRAFFIC LIGHT VIEWER
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:31 pm:

I thought I would post this original one with the instructions as the accessory of the day, since Micheal asked about these in a thread a few back.
trafficviewer trafficviewer1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 03:49 pm:

Jay what is that for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:09 pm:

Being a Californian, Albert, you can be excused for not knowing. Back in the day, and today still in other parts of the country, there is just a single traffic light high in the center of the intersection, not also at the corners like we have here.

l

If your car has a low windshield, or a visor, you cannot see the central traffic light without scrunching down when you are close to the intersection. The prism lets you see the light.

Some towns in the South used to have a single fixture with just 3 lamps, so in two directions the green was on top and red on bottom, while it was normal in the other two. A color blind friend got caught by a cop, for using position to guess the color.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Gonzaz on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:24 pm:

Thanks for the info Rick, come to think of it I have seen lights like the ones you describe, I was born in the caribbean and some of the islands have lights suspended from cables that cross in the middle of the intersection high up, they are designed to swing with high winds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William E. Harris on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:28 pm:

Right after WW II, when cars were hard to buy, new car dealers added all the extras including a visor on each car. Very hard to see traffic lights with the visor blocking the view, So cars all had a similar prism device.

Bill Harris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 04:38 pm:

When I was a kid, I had a 52 GMC pickup that had a huge visor on it and you nearly had to lay down in the seat to see a traffic light, or stick your head out the window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A,J, Bell on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 05:22 pm:

Hi All

Bruce W. David, was the inventor of the “Signal Viewing Attachment”
in the above photos, which with the use of any suitable transparent
cement could be attached to the inside or outside of the windshield.
However the patent number 1808208 was issued with a change that
eliminated the adhesive mounting method that was apparently blamed
for some windshields cracking.
The upgrade involved using a suction device.

B.W. David
Moonbeam Manufacturing Company
Cleveland Heights, Ohio

Patent number: 1637309
Filing date: Dec 28, 1926
Issue date: Jul 26, 1927
http://tinyurl.com/yb9fvgn

Patent number: 1808208
Filing date: Nov 12, 1928
Issue date: Jun 2, 1931
http://tinyurl.com/ydp34yr

Patent number: 1902322
Filing date: Oct 20, 1928
Issue date: Mar 21, 1933
http://tinyurl.com/ycvo86o

Regards
Art

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration