What's Needed to Change the Rear Thrust Washers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: What's Needed to Change the Rear Thrust Washers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nugent on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:28 pm:

What parts, haskets, tools would be need to change my rear thrust washers? I want to order from Langs with some other iotems before midnight. Thanks and Happy New Year!! 1918 T Touring stock axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:46 pm:

If the babbitt is intact you can check backlash and side clearance before it comes completely apart.
Then you can mike the babbitt washers and duplicate the sizes on the bronze washers.
The new ones are oversize and need to be cut down on a lathe or belt sander carefully to get them the right thickness.
A couple paper gaskets are needed also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:46 pm:

Not much. Two bronze washers. I don't use the center line gasket but if you are going to use it you probably should order two or three. They are easy to tear. (dip it in hot water to make it easy to fit)

All you need for tools is two half inch wrenches to separate the halves of the rear end. The usual shop tools to pull the spring hangers etc.

You probably should order some of the pins that hold the steel washers in place as they are often ruined and need to be replaced; also a couple of the .010 & .015 shims make it easier to set up the clearances.

I would also replace the sleeves since I had it apart. Realistically, you probably would do better to tear it down and clean it up, see what needs to be replaced and then place your order.

They won't ship it until next week now anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:48 pm:

Hi Stan...Happy New Year!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration