* DRIVING A MODEL T FORD *

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: * DRIVING A MODEL T FORD *
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 06:25 pm:

Driving a T Ford:

Is there another activity (on earth) as Stimulating and Satisfying while using both hands and both feet, simultaneously?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 06:37 pm:

I have heard driving a Model T described as the most fun you can possibly have with your clothes on.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 06:50 pm:

How about a player piano? You have to hang on and pump the peddles also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 07:01 pm:

Track hoe, back hoe, end loader, skidloader, bull dozer. None will make you smile like a Model T Ford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave willis on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 08:09 pm:

i think a pipe organ comes close...but the T smells better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 08:47 pm:

I don't know about that John, after recently retiring from 33 years of playing in the woods and in gravel pits with big iron - I've had some pretty good smiles out there too but my T's are always pleasureable to spin around in !loader

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:30 pm:

First time passengers ask What I'm doing with my feet without touching the shifter (got a Ruckstell). I just look at them, smile & say "fun".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob sell on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:42 pm:

ive had folks ask why are you messing with the turn signals so much!
and why arent the wipers coming on when you move that lever so much?
i also get the shifter question!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BILL DUGGER on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 02:59 pm:

MY GRANDSON AND HIS WIFE WERE HERE, SHE WAS ON A SHORT LEAVE FROM THE ARMY. WELL THE GRANDSON 25 YEAR OLD HAD NOT HAD A RIDE IN THE '19, SO I ASKED HIM, WANT A RIDE , SURE, SO WE GOT IT STARTED, AND HIS STEP KID LONNIE, I ASKED HIM, YOU WANT A RIDE, HE ASKED WHERE ARE THE SEAT BELTS, I TOLD HIM THERE IS NONE, AND HE SAID VERY FIRMLY "I ANIT RIDING IN THAT THING" AND WE LEFT FOR A SHORT DRIVE. THE GRANDSON WAS REALLY SURPRISED AND IMPRESSED HOW IT WOULD GO LIKE IT DID.

BILL D
REDDING, CA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 03:32 pm:

Other than the quad .50 caliber, the Model T Ford ranks high on my list of hand and feet fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 04:11 pm:

Taking kids for rides is fun. They talk about it for weeks afterwards and will probably remember it for a lifetime.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 06:33 pm:

I think running a steam locomotive down the track at high speed would beat just about anything for fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 06:38 pm:

I've been driving this antique fun machine for about twenty years. It's all steam-locomotive gauges, bulldozer levers and submarine switches that go clank, clunk or clack.

Preferred method of navigation is by the time-tested whisky compass, 8-day clock and a pencil on a chart. If it's good enough for Snoopy, it's good enough for me!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon Byers on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 07:20 pm:

The footwork required on a model T is good practice for keeping the C-170 on the centerline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Pullin on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 08:39 am:

Ed - you have my vote for the most fun aside from driving a T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 03:46 pm:

VROOOM!!!
vroom
At the moment I'm working on the motor. Hope to bring it out in acouple months.
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 08:45 pm:

One doesn't ready drive a quad .50, one FEEDS it.

John Moses Browning and Henry Ford are probably best buds these days, whereEVER they are. And both of their oldest inventions are still "on the road." I once worked on an ill-fated program seeking to replace the M1 tank. The idiot program manager (contractor) called me a "$#^%ing former user" when I asked him why he wanted to replace the M2 Browning .50 machine gun as the tank's secondary armamament. Program was killed and guess what M1's are still using???

I once saw one of the waist guns taken from the "Lady Be Good" some 60 years or so after she crashed in the Sahara. I was told that a light coat of oil and some fresh ammo was all she needed. They didn't even have the check the headspace and timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:25 pm:

In 1994 and 1995 I worked for Six Flags over Texas and was charged with maintaining their 2 narrow gauge steam engines. Build dates of 1898 and 1901. I have to say that working on those engines was the most fun I ever had at work and running a steam engine around the tracks by yourself is more fun than driving a T. I also have to say that a T is much easier to start........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:36 pm:

Don't take near as long either!

I've never run a locomotive, but I have run a traction engine. I bet I could figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:46 pm:

Several years ago, before I owned a T, we saw a young guy driving a black era coupe down a rural 4 lane. This guy was probably 25 years old. I have no idea if it was his or if someone was just letting him drive it. He was alone in the car. As we caught up with him and passed, we waved. He waved back. What I remember most was the huge smile he had on his face.

Just a few months ago, we were riding in the TT. I asked my wife "You remember that time we saw that boy driving the T down highway 84?" She said "Yeah." I said "You remember how he was smiling?" She said "Yeah, just like you are now!"

Says it all, don't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 09:48 pm:

Hal,

You are right. From a cold start it does take a while. Firing and driving a Steam Locomotive is intimidating at first but much like a Model T once you learn it becomes second nature. There are a lot of valves and gauges to keep track of.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, September 28, 2009 - 10:45 pm:

By the way while I was working on the steam engines I had to have the eccentric rods re-Babbitted on one of the engines. There are 4 eccentrics that are about 14 inches in diameter and 3 inches wide. The machine shop that did the rods poured 98 lbs of Babbitt. I seem to remember that it takes a little more than 3 lbs to do a T!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 12:51 pm:

This will probably make you smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oziP0PAmqEg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:16 pm:

Thanks Tim. Right handed cranker. Now that guy knows how to correctly crank a T! LOL! Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 03:38 pm:

Our TT has been in the family since 1946, one year before I was born. My grandfather used it as his orchard truck. Occasionally he would load up the whole family and we'd go to the back of the orchard where he had a few peach trees. It was, in modern day terms, like a trip to the ice cream parlor.

When I was about 2 or 3 years old and the family would load up onto the truck for one of these treat trips, I'd tell my grandfather that I would walk. "I'm not going to ride in that junk!", I'd say loudly. So, off they'd go with me trotting along behind. (It wasn't far and he'd drive slow, so it was really no big deal.)

Now, of course, I view it a little differently. When I have the ol'truck out, I often think about that little boy and how his opinion changed over nearly 60 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 04:16 pm:

Henry:

You should put a picture of that ol'truck on your profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 09:27 pm:

Let's see if I can post a picture. (Dave - I dont have a clue how to get this on my profile.)

This is the ol'truck on July 4, 2007 waiting for a load of kids.

July 4, 2007

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

Hmmm, How do I make it BIGGER?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 10:18 pm:

Driving a T certainly ranks right up there on the fun-o-meter, as do the smiles, questions, and reminiscences of the onlookers.

But, getting to spend a few hours in the right seat behind this Wurlitzer many years ago has to have been a high-water mark for me:

B17Panel

This is the panel for a B-17 G named Fuddy Duddy that belonged at the time to the National Warplane Museum in Geneseo, NY. Having a multi-engine rating I got to sit right-seat (co-pilot) on a couple airshow jaunts one summer before moving down to the Phila. area. Between that and getting to help move the PBY around occasionally it was heaven.

Of course the T's and A's offer much greater cost-effectivness per hour of fun...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration