1927 roadster/touring vacuum wiper accessory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: 1927 roadster/touring vacuum wiper accessory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 04:40 pm:

I have seen the accessory vacuum wipers in some pictures mounted onto the frames but have never had the chance to see one up close, especially the mounting side of the unit (that you can not see in any picture). Does anyone have a few pictures to share with raging masses as to what the correct unit looks like?

Was there a difference between the U.S. and Canadian models? (I know there was a difference in the stop/tail light units). Are they good to run with or do they cause any significant power loss problems with stealing too much vacuum going uphill in the rain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 05:47 pm:

The only one I have seen is at the Henry Ford museum on the 15th Millionth Touring, too bad I only took the rear view pic, should have climbed over the ropes and snapped a pic of the accessory wiper.

Pic from Service Bulletin

I would think the draw of little vacuum on the unit would not hinder any power off the Model T motor. But then, why have this dang new fangled add on, what wrong with swinging that little handle while singing in the rain :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lawthers on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 07:41 pm:

My 26 Touring has one of these units on it that I never really paid any attention to until you mentioned it. I had thought it was a manual wiper only until looking at the picture above.

One of the three owners prior to me had drilled a hole in the manifold and inserted a small brass tube to run this device off of. Evidently, someone thought it didn't work so well since the tube is now crimped over and the hose going to the winshield wiper device is long gone.

Tom L
26 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:33 pm:

Thanks for the picture Dan. In looking closely at it, it seems that there is a bracket that hangs on top of the frame. I had formerly thought it had 2 bolts that went through the frame in addition to the wiper shaft. Hopefully, someone has one of these on a shelf and can show us the fastening side of the wiper unit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:46 am:

Ed

Rather think that the shaft goes thru the same single hole in the upper windshield frame as the manual wiper does.

Ford wouldn't have modified the windshield frame. The unit appears to wrap over the frame and clamped there with the wiper arm fastener (nut or something).

And that shaft probably fastened to that little hand lever, so you could rock the wiper if you lost vacuum or the unit became inoperable. The lower round knob probably controlled the automatic function, on or off or maybe adj the speed by control of the vacuum, an early intermittent wiper ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Mize on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 12:07 pm:

Ed,
There is one of the units on Ebay right now under number 250374550125.
I have an original on my 27 touring.
Brent Mize

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 01:11 pm:

Here's a Trico junior unit with it's box and instructions. Looks exactly like the Ford unit to me without the Ford script. Let me know if any of you need a larger copy of the instructions I am including here. Jay - in Northern Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 02:01 pm:

Here's a link to the full size Trico Jr. unit instructions for those of us with less then 20/20 eye sight.
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll242/fordmodelt/trico/

Posting photo's for the forum at photobucket or like sites allows you to post full size photo's to attach to your Forum posts rather then the Tiny photo size allowed by posting directly to your thread. Jay - in Northern Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry A. Daw on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 05:54 pm:

When going on car tours my dad used to take plenty of Rain-X. If it rained he would use it and share it with others on the tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

I don't have a '26 Ford, but I do have the vacuum wiper. I believe there are two lengths of the shafts for those? Also, it would be nice to see an original routing diagram for the vacuum line. I could swear when I saw fifteen million, the line came up the right side of the windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 07:04 pm:

I also have one of these wipers. Does anyone know if there is a repair kit for these units? Thanks,
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Niedzielski on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:06 am:

Jay, thanks for posting the picture. However, if someone could show what the actual bracket that sits on the frame looks like, that would be helpful. Is it just a simple U shaped affair with a single hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:22 pm:

This is one for the sedan - the threaded post is longer than a roadster/touring is. Is that the bracket you mean?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:36 am:

Hey Ed: I lost your email address when my old computer crashed. Since you don't have a profile I can't contact you. Please email me your email address, Thanks. Jay - in Northern Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHESTER A. VANDER PYL on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 10:53 pm:

I would like to have the measurements for the inner and outer shafts and a description of the bracket that goes on windshield. I am trying to convert a closed car wiper to an open car wiper. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 02:27 am:

$35-00 will get you a good 6 volt replacement that kinda looks the same, from an early model A (reproduction ) with stainless wiper arm and 10" wiper blade, hide the wires under the head cover strip down the window frame in behind the dash, if you want , place a piece of black vac tube over the small exposed wire to the motor, Voila, much better wiper when it rains, not that much out of place from the Trico Vacuum Wiper and you wont have to back off to wipe the rain away when you cant see anymore.
Cheers David,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHESTER A. VANDER PYL on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 05:09 am:

David, I have been saving mostly NOS and perfect parts since I got the car in 1953 from my Grandfather Frank Mossberg, who owned APCO and Mossberg Tools. I have two electric Model A Ford replacement wiper motors, in good shape, on the shelf; but I would rather put on one of my original Ford wiper motors after I modify the shaft and bracket to fit an open car. The motors, that I have, are all for closed cars and have the longer shaft and wrong brackets for open cars. Thanks, Chet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Jones on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 01:42 pm:

I have carefully cleaned and rebuilt two trico vacuum wiper motors and they both will not complete the cycle. They are free but only seem to go one way, then stop. Whats goin on?........Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Miller on Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 07:12 pm:

Bruce,
I have rebuilt the unit I have and not had a chance to install it in the car (26 touring). The flapper inside the housing seems to be difficult to face each side together when assembling. Maybe you have both sides facing the same way and not allowing the unit to reverse. I need to see the routing of the lines down to the manifold. Can you describe how the tubes or metal lines go down the windshield post? Any help would be great.
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 04:04 pm:

For Bruce,

In about two weeks send me your e-mail address with a note "send wiper rebuilding article." I should have my regular computer back by then. I believe I have an article on rebuilding the wipers (slightly later ones -- but very similar). Click on my name above and it brings up my profile. Third line down is my e-mail address.

For Nick,

There was an article on the 15,000,000 Ford with lots of photos. Hopefully someone will be able to post some of those or from another car that shows the proper routing.

Respectully submitted,

Hap Tucker 1915 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and 1907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek-Brookshire, Texas on Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 04:12 pm:

http://www.wiperman.com/
.....Michael Pawelek

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pielechaty on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 06:32 pm:

I have a vaccum wiper on our 1923 Model T, Mac's have never seen one , wonder if anyone else has one or know anything about them.wiper photo # 1 wiper photo #2
John P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pielechaty on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 06:54 pm:

Here are the pictures/image{Photo# 1}, /image{Photo#2}
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Pielechaty on Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 07:00 pm:

One last attempt. Photo's of vaccum windshield wiper on a 1923 Model T
John P

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration