Curved Dash Olds

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Curved Dash Olds
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 08:27 pm:

I just bought an old CDO replica chassis that's ready for restoration. I've heard there are plans for bodies, maybe from an old Popular Mech.

Anyone have a link?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 08:39 pm:

http://www.smallcarplans.com/1901oldsplans.htm

A 15 page plan for you.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken - SAT on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 10:55 pm:

Those plans are for a 3/4 scale version. Okay if you're building a go-kart.

Here's a full scale version: http://www.horselesscarriagereplicas.com/oldscdo.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 11:57 pm:

Huh, the Hovercraft shop I visited last year had 2 of these in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:09 am:

Perfect, Erik, thanks.

Here's what it's supposedta' gonna' look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:34 am:

Ralph,

Thought you might like this, a bike shop that sold Olds in San Diego (Now basically an off ramp)

There is a used car dealer in Chula Vista which has a reproduction made in Mexico.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:01 am:

An afterthought the one on the right with the wood spoke wheels & top seems to be a larger model. So I'm thinking, the one in the middle may be a 3/4 size.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:23 am:

No, I think they're the same car, Alex, thanks.

Artillery wheels became optional in about 1904, and soon took the market, as the early wire wheels had little side load strength. It wasn't until 1913 that wire wheels with deep hubs came out, and it took many years for them to regain buyer confidence in the market, except for racing.

The chassis I have is full size. I'm tempted to use T wheels on it, as the wires it has are shot. As for drivetrain, 1.5 hp electric industrial stuff is available cheap, but I'd rather use gas.

This is another whole project I don't need, but it's helping a T friend.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:39 am:

The good thing about T wheels will be the ease of finding tires, and visually they don't look that far off from what was on some of the curved dash Olds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady Puryear on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:02 am:

A while back when a similar thread came up, I asked this same question but never really got an answer. I had at one time a picture of my Dad in one of these, I want to think it had a tiller and not the circular steering part, he had the bowler hat and all. My qusetion is, what time frame was this, if 1901 would be about right, how long a period was this ? The picture was supposed to have been made at an Olds dealer in San Marcos Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:56 am:

The CDO was made from 1901-7.

Here's Humble Howard and Dorlyne in the '05 they had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:01 am:

The car on the right has stagger spoked wheels with wooden hubs. They were not a success. Both CDO's are of the 1901 - 1903 vintage. The one in the middle is most likely a 1901 and the wood spoked version more like a 1903.

The artillery wheels Ralph mentions were standard equipment in 1904, '05 & '06. They were the type of construction that us T guys would be familiar with; steel hubs, wooden felloes, steel rims... The stagger type spokes were abandoned by then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Tobias on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:02 am:

What is the larger vehicle at the left in Alex's picture?
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:15 am:

It's a steam car, maybe Locomobile, approx. 1901 - 1902.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:16 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 11:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

Thanks Jerry for the Great Photos
-Take a second look at the photo with the 3 ladies,that sure looks like Princess Di,even the way she slants her head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:17 pm:

The fellow in the last photo is Roy D. Chapin, one of the founders of Hudson Motor Car Co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dave willis on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:47 pm:

i think the cdo had 28X3 tires...a bit smaller than t tires.
i actually built a car from the MI plans in the '60s...i'll have to find a pic. i started with a clinton lawnmower engine but finally had a 4 hp hit miss single in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:54 pm:

Try this link. It's from the Curved Dash Olds Club website and acknowledges replica resources.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/cdoclub/Replia_Cars/replica.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:12 pm:

You know a lot about them, Jerry; do you have one? Thanks for the pix 'n stuff, btw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:25 pm:

I bought a 1904 CDO last August. I'm just finishing up a new set of transmission gears. Not so very different than a Model T transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

Jerry, how does the lubrication of the transmission work in a CDO? Are the transmission drums holding (& leaking) grease like a NRS Ford?
A museum here in town has a clone made by another manufacturer - can't remember it now, but it has two cylinders, otherwise just like a CDO - even the medallion on the body side is there, but with another name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 03:03 pm:

Roger,

Yes, the 1904 transmission is lubricated very much like an NRS Ford. Some of the earlier CDO's have a portion of their gears running in the open. I'm not as experienced on the earlier version however. (And I am no expert on the car I own. I'm learning new things every day)

The 1901 - 1903 CDO's were very different from the 1904 - 1907 variety. Almost no parts are interchangeable. The later cars were better built and heavier in all aspects. More horsepower too with the bore going from 4.5" to 5".

I would love to see photos of the clone car, if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 04:28 pm:

Interesting that on both covers of the sheet music the woman is driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 07:40 pm:

Roy Chapin (picture above) a really important figure in the establishment of the US auto industry - he is the driver who drove the CDO from Lansing, Michigan to the NY Motor Show in 1901 (I think it was 1901??) which ultimately resulted in the contract to supply 1,000 of the CDO for New York City - this was more cars than were already on the roads of New York!! It also resulted in Michigan - ultimately Detroit - becoming the centre for auto making, rather than the eastern states and it also became the thorn in the side of the European carmakers.
Had Ransom Olds survived as Oldsmobile it would have been fantastic competition for our good friend Henry Ford, as the two shared the same views about what was needed to kick start the business.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:54 am:

Stan,

You're right! Especially considering that song goes... "Come away with me Lucille, in my merry Oldsmobile...", Not in YOUR merry Oldsmobile.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration