What exactly is a "Doctors Coupe"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: What exactly is a "Doctors Coupe"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:46 am:

Greetings Everyone,

I often see Coupes of various makes listed as a Doctors Coupe. What makes them such?

THANKS!
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:55 am:

Nothing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:28 pm:

I Love It!!!!! Here we go!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:37 pm:

Yes, Stan, my first reaction was also that this could become a lo-o-o-o-ng thread... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:41 pm:

Doctor's coupe ------- Black
Dentist's coupe ------ White
Hemotologist's coupe - Red
Proctologist's coupe -- Brown

With tongue firmly in cheek, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

Between Marshall and Stan alone, it could be long - but it'll be good entertainment, for sure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:42 pm:

Congratulations, David! You've hit one of the trifecta of subjects guaranteed to start a long list of replies. The other two are the oil you should put in your engine, and the kind of transmission bands to use. Stan is right -- Here We Go!!

Seriously, and there will be some serious answers and some not-so-serious ones, the designation "Doctor's Coupe" is not original. It was added over the years through custom and by sheer numbers.

The "Coupe" model of a Model T, which is an enclosed car with one seat and a trunk, was very popular with country doctors for several reasons, some of which are:

-- It's a Ford, which meant Doc could usually get where he was going.

-- It's enclosed, because Doc had to be available in all weather.

-- It has a trunk, so Doc could carry extra equipment that wouldn't fit in his little black bag.

So, over the years, the sheer number of doctors who drove Model T Coupes made it a commonly-known designation. That's all there is to it.

But, interestingly, if today you see an advertisement for a "Model T Doctor's Coupe," no further explanation of its body type is necessary. So I guess it has a reason to keep being used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:43 pm:

The only thing I ever saw was an advertisement from Ford titled something to the effect of "The Doctor and His Car". The ad pictured a coupe. I think this ad was reprinted somewhere later on and some hobbyists began refering to coupes as a "doctors coupe". I've heard the term used to describe coupes of other makes as well. I don't think Ford ever actually called any of their coupes a "doctors coupe".

Maybe someone has some evidence to the contrary?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:44 pm:

David,

There just coupes, Doctor's, Lawyer's & Indian Chief's all drove them, it's a marketing thing like a 1940 Opera coupe. I think the only car Ford advertised as a Doctor's car was a Model C or F can't remember which.

Stan, You hit the nail right on the head. I'm just gonna sit back.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Boe on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:46 pm:

Come on now Stan, this is not like the Distributor/Timer, Detergent/Non-Detergent, or the Water Pump/or not debates. This all being said by one of the "New Age" Model T'ers. I have a distributor, water pump, alternator, detergent oil, and even an ACLU membership card.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:56 pm:

David,you need to add to your list: Tell everyone you also have a yellow paddle . (for stirring the S--T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:56 pm:

David, I don't have a Coupe at all. I have a Translator's Touring.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

Sorry, back, There is a movie "One Man's Journey" Lionel Barrymore plays a country doctor, driving a one horse buggy, close up of the rear wheel spinning, suddenly becomes a spinning wire wheel of a 26/27 touring "Doctors Car"

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:00 pm:

Dick:

The original owner of my '17 roadster was a Swedish bachelor.

I am also a Swedish bachelor (actually, 3/4 Swedish) so I own the appropriate car.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:03 pm:

David & Dick, These are the threads I enjoy, I find it much more enjoyable talking symantics than technology.

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:06 pm:

Erik, is that "Swedish bachelor farmer," as in "Prairie Home Companion"? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:13 pm:

Dick:

Exactly! There are Swedish bachelor farmers and Norwegian bachelor farmers. There are also more specific categories such as "Swedish bachelor farmer brothers," etc.

I had to leave the word "farmer" out of the description of my car because I was born in and have never left Minneapolis.

Erik Johnson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:18 pm:

If you mean that you've never been to St. Paul, that's pretty typical for the Twin Cities, isn't it? :-)

(My sister lived in St. Paul for a while....)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

I was wondering the same thing (What is a Doctor's Coupe) myself and am really glad someone else asked it cause I've seemed to be the one lately that keeps asking the hot button questions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:25 pm:

As a doctor who recently acquired one of these Coupes, there are a few tidbits I'd like to add. Until the advent of Medicare, Medicaide, and group policy insurance offered to employees, the average physician's income was relatively poor. If patients couldn't pay for their services, he often received chickens, labor in trade, or nothing. Being a physician meant you were in service to the people in need, regardless of their ability to pay. Most other professionals made much more income than the "Country Doc". The Model T was an inexpensive vehicle, reliable, and could traverse the muddy rutted roads of the day to call on the sick in all kinds of weather. Like Peter explained above, it had room for the doctor, perhaps his nurse, and room in the trunk for medicines, tools, and perhaps a cot and bedroll if he had to stay at a residence while the ill recovered (or not!)
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:28 pm:

Al, this is as good a thread as any to ask you why your posts here appear in a font different from everyone else's....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:37 pm:

Dick:

The only time I go to St. Paul is when I drive my Model T to the annual All Ford Picnic at the Twin Cities Assembly Plant (har, har).

Erik Johnson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:39 pm:

OK here goes.

My 1922 "Doctor's" Coupe in front of my 1950's "California Ranchette" (I didn't call it that the City did).

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:45 pm:

Erik, there was a routine on PHC once where two guys meet, one from Minneapolis and the other from St Paul. The first one asks the other where he's from, and then says, "St. Paul... that's east of here, isn't it?" The other asks the same question and then says, "Minneapolis..... I went there once."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:13 pm:

I didn't read anything accept the introductory thread so here we go again.

It is a marketing label. Doctors are Trustworthy: right?, Doctors are Dependable: Right? Doctors are Johnny on the Spot: Right? Doctors drive more miles in any kind of weather to make there calls: Right?

That's the image they wanted to project about the coupe de grass and it probably worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:28 pm:

Where is Marshall Daut when we need him????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:30 pm:

Coupe is a word borrowed from the French language. In French, when used as a noun, it simply means "car." Early US auto manufacturers, such as Ford, usually used this French word for a body style that was an enclosed car that did not have a back seat.

Most of the words associated with the early automobiles were existing words that were given new meanings. For example, I was recently reading old newspaper articles from the 1870s about the Jesse James gang. One of the articles stated that the gang members were well armed and riding "roadsters." Apparently, the 19th century meaning of roadster was a horse bred for traveling quickly over long distances on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:35 pm:

Stan,

I caught the opening thread earlier but was in a hurry and had to rush off...but was going to type...Good heavens...here we go again! :-) Ya beat me to it :-)

With all respect to David Boe, it is a very legitimate question to ask and the answers are somewhere in the upper responses :-)

David will learn in time...the fun, trials and tribulations of the forum there are a very few topics that take on a mind of their own from time to time...and this just happens to always be one of them......

So...does the veterinarian drive a TT, or a Coupe...or does he too now ride around in a Mercedes SL600 since there is now 'pet insurance' for health care??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

Marshall is probably waiting until the perfect time to pounce....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:39 pm:

Somebody who knows how to do it should post the entire thread from about 6 or 7 years ago where we discussed this in great length, detail and with much amusement. It was one of the better threads and I don't think anybody ever got mad. Confused, maybe, but not mad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:46 pm:

quote:

Al, this is as good a thread as any to ask you why your posts here appear in a font different from everyone else's....

Simple really... I've never experienced a forum with this format so I've just been playing around with the format options to get a better understanding how it all works... Being that this is a forum about old cars, I post with old typewriter font (Courier), so really it's nothing other than that.

If it's a problem, I could change...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By will_vanderburg on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:47 pm:

Coupe (pronounced KOO PAY, in France: COOP in the US) is a French word (noun) for a 4 wheel, enclosed carriage with seating for 2 people, with a separate driver's seat outside the vehicle.

The actual use of the word varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. The term "Doctor" was most likely used to market the car to that particular profession. However, it did not roll off the assembly line with the moniker "Doctor's Coupe".

For example, a business coupe would have no rear seat, OR the rear seat could be removed so a salesman could carry his wares as he made his sales rounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 02:52 pm:

Most of the terms used to describe car bodies were carried over from horse and carriage.

A "doctor's coupe" or "physician's coupe" was originally a type of horse carriage. It really has nothing to do with a doctor's image of being dependable. These types of carriages were marketed as physician's coupes because doctors made house calls and, especially during an emergency, had to be able to call on patients in all types of weather, day or night. A solution was a carriage that would protect them from the elements.

http://www.carriagemuseumlibrary.org/doctor_buggy.htm

Whether or not any car company actually had a vehicle in their catalogs listed specifically as a "doctor's coupe" is debatable.

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:01 pm:

A "Doctor's Coupe" is a small, usually ramshackle, building in which doctors are kept. Very similar to a chicken coupe except more expensive to maintain and no eggs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:04 pm:

I was able to locate this by the Ford Motor Co:

To see 10 page pamphlet click here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:07 pm:

Thanks, "strange font" Al.

Please don't change the font, BTW...

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:11 pm:

and I was able to locate this one too:

To see 10 page pamphlet click here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:18 pm:

George,

Back in the day in jolly old England, Dr. James Herriot, a veterinarian, drove an Austin Seven two-door sedan. He might have longed for a Ford Doctor's coupe but never mentioned it in any of his books, if I remember correctly.

Today, my pet's veterinarian drives a Toyota Four-Runner though based on what he charges, could probably drive pretty much anything he wanted to. Unless his wife is expensive, of course.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:27 pm:

Because there is just barely enough room on the narrow seat for the doctor and his bag (medical bag, that is, not his wife). Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:28 pm:

Back in the day when I had horses, my Vet had a good old work truck to carry all his equipment and such... His wife of course had her choice between the Jaguar XKE Series 3 V-12 , the Mercedes 500SL, or the town car...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 03:46 pm:

Here's an intertesting thread from February, 2008 on this subject:

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47700.html

Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 04:21 pm:

My contribution to a longer thread.

Your font looks fine Al because you must have put a new typewriter ribbon in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 04:55 pm:

Seth, I knew a vet once who had an F-250 with a super heavy duty rear. Plain and simple enough, that was his 'doctors coupe'....until he hooked up his paint matching double horse stall with hot and cold water people berth trailer and then it became what he called 'heaven' when he went to the 'hunts' :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

Okay, I get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sherm Wetherbee on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:07 pm:

To be considered a Doctor's Coupe, it must be for sale and at least $1,000 over priced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:19 pm:

quote:

Your font looks fine Al because you must have put a new typewriter ribbon in.

There ya go Dick... I think ya got it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:27 pm:

All I can add to this is that a doctor's coupe smells completely different than a plumbers coupe

Regards all,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:51 pm:

If you want a "Doctors Coupe" you must first make an appointment to go see it.Three months later, rush to the show room to be on time and wait 3-1/2 hours before the salesman will show it to you. Then he will want to perform several driving tests. You'll go to two other show rooms for other opinions. Make another appointment to go see it again and then buy it finding out that your not coverd by insurance.

Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By james dimit on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 06:17 pm:

Al, you should have told them your posts looked different because you had a Doctor's keyboard! Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 06:36 pm:

I drive a 1915 doctor's phaeton.

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Mason on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 07:58 pm:

daffynition:

Doctor's Coupe = coupe owned by a Doctor

There could also be a Doctor's Sedan, Doctor's Tudor, Doctor's Runabout, Doctor's Touring and Doctor's Pick-up.

Heck, that just covers the later black era T, now add in all of the other manufacturers and body styles and you could build one heck of a collection of Doctor's vehicles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 08:24 pm:

And, just to add to the discussion, the word "coupe" is actually from the French word "coupé," which is the past participle of "couper," which means "cut." So a coupe is a car that has been cut (off). In other words, there is no back seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 08:46 pm:

In my case, a "lawyer's coupe" is one that could be black or white, good looking or bad, Ford or Chevrolet (even if it's a Ford) all in the same car.

It's only a matter of perspective. My wife tells me I'm bent. Yes, I own a '24 Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 09:21 pm:

There was a Ford marketed and named "Doctor's Car", but it was pre-T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aaron on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 09:35 pm:

Coops are for chickens.
If the top will go down the price will go up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

I'd be willing to pay a few bucks, for copies of those Doctors pamphlets. Are they available anywhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 11:49 pm:

They show up on ebay from time to time. I got a copy of "The Doctor and His Car" there. Interestingly, that booklet promotes the Touring, Torpedo, and Commercial Roadster, but there is no mention of the Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 12:15 am:

Hmmm... I have a 26 Coupe that I have to Doctor on once in a while to keep it running. Maybe I have one of them rare Doctor's Coupe's after all. Grin

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard_D on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 01:29 am:

The Answer is Marketing..Marketing...Marketing. The first Doctor's car was 1905 Ford Model C which provided an all weather dependability. I also think Doctors may not have had the money of today, expecially in the rural small towns and an economical car was essential to their success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 01:59 am:

We'll what if the coupe was primarily used by doctors where the lack of roads made forced the doctor to mainly drive across open fields. Would it then be a Coupe de Grass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 02:28 am:

I'm sure you've been emailed the comparison of 1908 to 2008. Engineers had more training and made more money than doctors. Early on, enclosed cars like coupes were considered dangerous, as you couldn't get "thrown clear" in an accident.

BTW, I saw an Austin Chummy on tbay the other day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 02:36 am:

quote:

Al, you should have told them your posts looked different because you had a Doctor's keyboard! Jim

Jim - I'm confused... If this were a Dr's keyboard, would anyone but a Pharmacist be able to read it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 03:38 pm:

This thread will only become a long one if Stan and I face off against each other on the absurd misnomer "Doctor's Coupe" topic. Oops! It's too late! The thread is ALREADY a long one without Stan's and my flailing at each other from opposite sides of the COUPE. (ha, ha, ha!)
Marshall,
whose coupes never went to medical school

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:13 pm:

My friend Al, recently deceased, lived in a converted chicken coupe. He was no doctor, but a potter. It only had one door, which was centered. So I guess it was a Center Door Potter's Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:55 pm:

If a doctor inadvertently drove off a cliff at high speed, would you say that he flew the coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 07:43 pm:

So what color is a "Lawyer's Coupe". Clearly lawyers have made so many meaningful contributions to society as we know it - shouldn't they get their own color on a coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 07:54 pm:

Green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 08:10 pm:

I just went out to the garage and found that I do not own a 26 Doctor's Coupe. After much investigation I have discovered that I own a 26 Chicken Coupe.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Drake on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 08:10 pm:

John, it depends on what the meaning of "color" is.

Or something like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 08:15 pm:

Why does a chicken coop have 2 doors?

If it had 4 doors it would be a chicken sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 03:24 am:

Paul... I think I just ruined my keyboard... your post caught me just as I was drinking some coffee!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:28 am:

Paul, I wanna kno where that rooster got that egg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:37 am:

Stan you and me both. Maybe he's just babysitting or it got just laid it their?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:47 am:

That cartoon reminds me of the gorgeous secretary we used to have in our office. She couldn't touch-type; she was a hunt 'n pecker.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Fenton on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:05 am:

Doctor called his mechanic and says,"my bands are slipping" . Mechanic says "take two aspirin and call me in the morning"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:11 am:

Is that the same as a pick 'n pecker?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Johnson on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:18 am:

That is one hell of a chicken to stand there and pose with an egg on a window sill.

Question: Do you know which came first? The chicken or the egg.

The chicken is the egg's reason for having more chickens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:26 am:

Harvey: Or he did.

Jim, I don't think "hunt n' pecker" is the same as "pick n' pecker." Might be wrong but I don't think so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:28 am:

I had no idea that computers came in sexes, but clearly that computer is a male... It's Hen Pecked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:47 am:

LOL! Thanks, Stan. I wasn't sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 04:42 pm:

Stan,

I am fairly sure that the rooster snuck in and got the egg out of my refrigerator. LOL

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 04:54 pm:

The rooster is probably divorced and has joint custody of the egg.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 04:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Since the T is sharing a garage with a Ford King Ranch pickup I think it is really a Chicken Ranch Coupe.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:03 pm:

Which all begs not the question of which came first, the chicken or the egg, but which came first, the rooster or the Coupe'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:40 pm:

Paul post reminds me of a joke..........

One day near easter, a farmer wanted to surprise his wife for the morning egg gathering....

He went out and planted decorated colored eggs in the hens bins, and took away the morning egg leavings.....

However, before the missus got a chance to go to the coop, the rooster came by and took a look....

On the way out to the coop, the Missus found the pet peacock brutally beaten and near death....

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A. Erfert on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 12:19 am:

I was at a friends house in 1977 when his phone rang and he talked to a man in Michigan that wanted to give him his Doctors Coupe. The man in Michigan was a doctor and his coupe was a 1928 Dodge. My friend had a 1921 Ford touring car and it was the first T I ever drove.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 12:39 pm:

OK guys. I think we've pretty well covered the Doctors Coupe. Now, where did Turtle Deck come from? I suppose you could put some turtles in there, but who would want to do that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 01:27 pm:

You don't eat turtle soup, Larry? I never had turtle soup, but the turtle steaks we had on Isla Mujeres in 1961, near what was later to become Cancun, were pretty tasty. I'm glad they eventually outlawed the killing of sea turtles.

Or, the Turtle Deck could refer to the car's speed...

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 12:08 am:

I'm a doctor, got a roadster and a TT but no coupe. Dang.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hester, Riverview, FL, 26 & 27 touring, 22 TT on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 11:01 am:

Larry, I don't know where the expression, "turtle deck" came from but here in the South we call it a cooter hull. Who knows why. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 11:50 am:

My dad has been playing with Model T Fords since 1948.

He always calls Centerdoors "Camel-backs" or "Camel-back Sedans" because of the height of the cars, especially when compared to other sedans of the era. Has anyone else heard of this term?

Erik Johnson
Minneapolis, MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Evan Mason beat me to it.

Very simply a doctor's coupe is a coupe owned and driven by a doctor.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

Stan, I dunno about you, but the hunt'n-peckers I used to know were the ones that danced too close to the stage and left their phone or room numbers on napkins with the bartender. :-)

But, as for T's and doctors, I found this ad that talks about dependability...from personal experience I think the oath meant a little more back then. If my T was as dependable as the doctor, just to take it for a drive I'd have to talk to a smart-a** woman after she finally gets off the phone gossiping with her friend and makes some smart remark about how she has to go because there is a very impatient man standing at the counter, fill out 15 pages of crap that repeats itself every page, then wait for a minimum hour before I can go in another room to sit and wait.

Funny thing these doctors around here...you miss an appointment and they bill you. You sit and wait for them to keep their appointment and they think that is just fine. Phooey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Sandberg on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 04:33 pm:

When I was a kid my neighborhood girlfriend & I would get into grampa's 2 door and play doctor. Does that make it A doctor's coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 06:46 pm:

You bet, Doctor Sandberg. Though I am curious; what ever happened to Hot Lips?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie in Houston on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 09:16 pm:

does my 1922 coupe qualify as a doctors coupe?

Four  passenger coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 09:26 pm:

Are you a doctor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bud scudder on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:09 pm:

Before this subject comes to an end, been wondering if the all steel doors will fit my 1920 coupe. I would just about bet they will fit, but still don't know for sure. What about availability of the steel doors? I'm not too concerned if they are correct for my car. Thanking you in advance BUD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Otto Baron on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 10:13 pm:

Aren't Mad scientists considered Doctors? Would this then be a doctors coupe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:43 pm:

I had a 1946 Nash Statesman Sedan that converted into a double bed and it had ankle straps too, but I didn't call it a Dr's sedan.

Seriously I believe that the early 1903 -4 -5 one cylinder enclosed Cadillacs were called Dr's Coupes.

The name connotes and denotes the meaning that it is a dependable car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kent on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:18 pm:

I imagine a "Doctor's Coupe", would have a compartment especially for the golf clubs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 06:30 pm:

No, no, no.... It was all a misunderstanding. There was a Ford dealer in New England who painted all the sedans he sold in light, pastel colors, but left the coupes in the original factory black. Naturally, they were referred to as "dahker coupes." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 09:48 pm:

And, as I think about it further, there may also have been some confusion about the coupes that Henry manufactured in the capital of Senegal to save money. He closed down the operation because of shipping costs, but the ones that did make it to the US were known as "Dakar coupes."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:07 pm:

The early coupes were painted bright colors, but the later ones were black and thus darker couples.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steamboat on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 11:36 pm:

The 24 Ford I drove to high school and college was a bootlegger's coupe. I got it from my uncle who bought it from his bootlegger.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration