Potential difference in 26/27 front floorboard hold down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Potential difference in 26/27 front floorboard hold down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:08 pm:

I went to a Model T Ford show over the weekend and think perhaps there is another difference between early 1926 production and 1927 production!

Please look at subject entitled "26 tudor floorboards" in this forum. A message on May 05, 2009 at 7:08pm by Ed Fry shows a picture of a 26 Tudor. On the right side between the top two floor boards there is a bracket that rotates to hold the top two floor boards to the body.

At the show I attended, all 1926/1927 vehicles inspected had these brackets (one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side).

My 1926 roadster does not appear to have these brackets or the holes for the rivet to fit into to mount the brackets. This makes me think perhaps early vehicles did not have this feature to hold the floorboards in place.

I am asking other people who have early production 1926 vehicles (that is produced in 1925 or very early 1926) to see if they have these "clamps/brackets" to hold the front floor boards in place. Dan Trace, Dale L. Myers, and Ron Patterson all have early production 1926 vehicles.

I would like to know if I am the only "odd ball" without the device to hold the floor boards in place, or if other early vehicles did not have this item.

Thanks in advance guys for looking to see if your floor boards are held in place or not. Please indicate the date of manufacturer of your vehicle (if you know it), if it does not have the clamps to hold the floor boards in place so that we can get an idea as to when the change took place. Perhaps I have the only "odd ball" vehicle, but my guess is that perhaps others will find their vehicle without the clamps to hold the floorboards in place! Please look for the hole in the angled metal section were the clamp would rotate, if your vehicle does not have the "clamps" to insure that the clamps were not just removed. The hole in the angled metal adjacent to the floorboards would probably indicate that the clamps originally were there and someone removed them over time.

Thanks,

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:47 pm:

Arnie

I have seen these in all Improved open cars I have messed with, sometimes in the rusted out risers the clip is gone, but since it was riveted at the factory, they ususally are there. Haven't seen a body without the clips, but maybe you and others can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:17 pm:

Thanks, Dan for your rapid reply. Since yours is an early vehicle I was counting on yours not having the clips.

Unless someone also does not have the clips, I will go out tomorrow and look with a magnifying glass to see if I can find any evidence of someone in the past welding the holes shut in my vehicle!

Arnie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:52 pm:

Arnie, have you looked to see if the rivets have been ground/cut off and are still in the holes? That could be why it looks as if there are no holes. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:23 am:

Our May 1926 Tudor has these floor board clamps, rivitted in the centre, rotates with a little effort, slightly raised on the sides.
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 02:17 pm:

Not to cloud the issue, a friend of my has an early 26 touring. His touring has WOOD floor board risers, not metal. I have seen pictures of it and I have looked at it in person and indeed they are wood. His car is an original and has not been restored. I thought all of the floor board risers were metal starting in the early twenties. How many different makes of bodies were there in 1926? I do not have the body number, I will try to get it for future reference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 07:13 pm:

Arnie
My December 9, 1925 roadster pickup has the floorboard clips.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 07:30 pm:

The Australian bodies do not have the clips. They have more wood in the bodies. Mine was produced March 1926.floor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 07:45 pm:

My April 1926 Tudor has the clips. My October 1925 Roadster (the one without the bolts holding the turtledeck)does not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

'26 Fordor has 'em:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 08:33 pm:

The Closed Cab TT also has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 09:40 pm:

Dale:

Thank you for taking a picture of your Oct, 1925 roadster without the "floorboard clips".

Ron, thanks for indicating your Dec, 1925 vehicle does have the "floorboard clips".

Perhaps if others look at their vehicles we may be able to get a better idea as to when the change actually took place.

I took a photo of my vehicle before reading the messages today, so I will attach it here so others can see that at least two vehicles were made perhaps without the "floorboard clips".no floorboard clips for the top two floorboards

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:09 pm:

I have a early 26 Coupe with the piano hinge windshield and it does not have the clips. I do not have my camera here to take a picture but it is a rock solid rust free Oklahoma car and there is no evidence of the clips. I wonder if the answer is different body suppliers.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:12 pm:

PS.

I had a 27 Touring that I sold a few years back and it had the clips.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 10:59 am:

Paul:

Perhaps with more input from forum readers we will be able to tell if it was due to different body suppliers.

As of now I would guess, and this is just a guess, that Ford put the "floorboard clips" in all styles to prevent the floorboards from moving around for example, if the vehicle was towed (with the drive shaft disconnected) and the wind could blow the floorboards from their location.

Paul, do you know when your early 1926 coupe was made (based on engine number)? That will help in the question of when the change was made, if indeed it was not body supplier dependent. If we find others with late bodies without the clips, that would indicate body supplier dependent. If we find only early bodies without the clips, that would indicate time dependent.

I do not know why I am so interested in this, except to find differences between and within the 1926/1927 vehicles. I guess I am fascinated by all the changes that occurred within and during that two year span!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 11:22 pm:

Arnie,

There is no way to tell if my motor is original to the car but the serial number of the motor on my 26 Coupe looks like a October 25 build date. Does some one out there know when the windshield hinges changed from the piano hinge to the rolled type?

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 08:15 am:

Those clips are very good to have installed. I put a 4 inch section of duct tape over mine to keep them from turning from bumps or vibrations, etc.

If they are turned and you hit a bump, the top section of that floorboard can slip down and jam all three pedals, so you have no vehicle control. Your only recourse is to quickly turn the ignition key to OFF.

There was a photo in one of the magazines a few years back of a Model T that had hit a telephone pole or tree after hitting a bump and having that top floorboard slide down to lock the pedals.

I also attached that lower section of the slant floorboard to the bottom floorboard section with two 1/4 X 1 X 12 inch straps of iron bent to the same angle. That helps to hold the upper floorboard in a proper position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arnie on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 10:15 am:

Thanks for all the replies.

So to date it lookes like the "floorboard clips" were not installed with vehicles with engine build dates of October, 1925. Since we have one open car and one closed car (plus my roadster) we know that it probably was not dependent on body style.

The clips were in vehicles in Dec, 1925 based on Ron's vehicle, so the time frame for vehicles without "floorboard clips" is now from introduction of the 1926 models to Dec, 1925.

Can anyone with a Nov, 1925 engine build date look at their vehicle and see if they have the "floorboard clips" to get a better handle on just when the change took place?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration