A Gentleman, and a Scholar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: A Gentleman, and a Scholar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 08:59 pm:

I consider myself a newbie at this Model t thing, as my historical studies, and works, involve many other fields. After all, Ive only been into this Model T thing about a year now.

I've noticed, on this forum, that there have been many, heated discussions, and outright disagreements, and even a bit of abuse. Yet I've also noticed, that one gentleman, rises above all of this, and always has something contructive to add. Though I've never met him, I have NUMEROUS opportunities, to save,a LOT of information, that this Gentleman has passed on, to all of us.

THANK YOU, Hap Tucker. For ALL that you do. And the wealth of knowledge, that you have shared with us.

I'll let everybody else chime in on this, as I file away, yet more info, that Hap has sent to me. I hope that my Wife doesn't find out, how many pages I've printed THIS time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:10 pm:

He's a southerner. Need I say more? I've met Hap and I wholeheartedly agree with you!

All hats off to Hap!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:12 pm:

Thunder,

Totally agree, Hap goes out of his way to share his knowledge, especially from Historical perspectives & is constantly looking for more to share.
Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 09:29 pm:

I couldn't agree more, Thunder. Hap has been very helpful to me with both my TT and Fordor, and I am always happy to see his kind words offered to newcomers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:08 pm:

Yes without question.

Vince M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:01 am:

Hap has been a fantastic! His answers are always clear and informative. Without his help I would have been stuck numerous times.
Mike Snyder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:07 am:

I have some 'hard to find' parts on my car that Hap has sourced for me and sent down under. Yes, he is an absolute gentleman. Thanks for starting this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:29 am:

totally agree, and with this much support for the gentleman and knowing he won't plea on his own...

...part of a passion of Haps is to also do some correlation on the unknowns....and for stuff not published or generally available, he has been trying for years to correlate actual features versus serial numbers on a body number [where exists]basis.

With that intro, he may still be too shy....but if we all want to say thank you to Hap....do you know where your body number is? and have you filled out Haps questionaire?

He has been quiet on that topic for a while....but just to let newbies know...I would doubt he has let it go far from his mind.......speak up Hap.....new flock for the pickins' :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:13 am:

I discovered this forum about a year ago. I lurked for several months and the main thing I remember about my new discovery was Hap Tucker,s posts. They are always informative and very interesting. He truly loves and lives the hobby. I'm still waiting for his book. Haps posts are always a "must read" Thanks Hap and thanks Thunder for starting this thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:13 am:

I for one am glad that Hap has taken this on. There is a lot of information out there to be found and documented. Keep it up Hap!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Alongi on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:24 am:

Hap,

This is starting to sound like an Obit. Please stay alive, we need you. <big>

Alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:20 am:

Whilst HAP TUCKER may be one of nature's gentlemen, (and he has been a massive help and unwitting (?) mentor to me!), if we are going to be this nice to him his head may swell and he might not be able to get it back through the doorway to he can KEEP CONTRIBUTING.
Good one Thunder - and so say all of us!
John Stokes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:27 am:

I would have to agree, I have never had the privilage of meeting the man himself, however the information he has posted here has been of great use to me as I learn the T. Thank you, and please keep it coming as I still have much to learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:30 am:

I agree with all that is said here and can only add that he must also be on hell of a typist! It's all I can do to type these tow sentneces.... see what I mean!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:52 am:

Hap has helped me tremendously, on this forum, on the Early Ford Registry, and personally with research and knowledge.

I can't thank him enough,

Rob Heyen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:36 am:

Hap is indeed a Gentleman and Scholar of the first order. Lets not forget Ron, Royce, Bruce, Trent, and all the other Gentleman Scholars the Model T hobby seems to attract.

As alot of us seem to be, I'm also a member of the Model A organizations. These are great people too, but the Model T guys just seem to have more fun and have a greater sense of history. Hats off to all the selfless Model T'ers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:35 am:

This is gonna sound like a lie, but I swear it's the truth. When I read the title of this thread, Hap Tucker's name is the first thing that popped into my head. When I read the post, it just confirmed my guess. Funny how some people just stand out. I doubt he's the sort to let this thread go to his head. Instead, he's probably flattered, but embarrassed by the attention.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 11:53 am:

He is as my father would have said -

"A Gentleman and a Scholar. His generosity is only exceeded by his good looks. A shame there are so few of us left."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Elkins on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 01:24 pm:

Hap...you know with this much suckin up, there is somebody wanting something BAD!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe stearns on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:30 pm:

I totally agree with the good comments--I always read what Hap has to add to the thread---He has the ability to get to the root of the problem. Thanks Hap for your time and effort to help us all. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:44 pm:

I agree. Positive comments, no sniping, and lots of good information. A class act.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:04 pm:

All well Said!
Here's to Hap!!!
He deserves some sort of huge award!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave K. on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 05:49 pm:

Hats off to Hap and all of the fine people that have helped myself and so many others on this forum. Hopefully someday down the road I will be able to help someone with the knowledge I have gained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 06:37 pm:

I agree with everyone, but what does he look like? I have not seen any pictures of him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 07:27 pm:

A true Model T Scholar and Gentleman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:07 pm:

Gosh…thanks to everyone for your kind remarks. How very encouraging this thread has been for me. And I’m very thankful that I have been able to be a small help to some of you.

To keep from getting the “big head,” I like to remind myself of the second part of 1 Corinthians chapter 4 verse 7. I often personalize it by substituting the word “I” for where it says “you”. It goes something like this, “….What do I have that I did not receive? And if I did receive it, why do I boast as though I did not?” All of us can think of some locations that if we had been born into a family in that location or country, how very very different and difficult our lives would have been. And in my own case – I was very fortunate to grow up in a great family that had Model Ts before I was born and we still have those Ts. And even as a teenager when I ran Dad’s 1918 low on oil and caused a rod to knock – he didn’t kill me, he didn’t put the Ts off limits, he had me overhaul the engine and learn why it is important to check the oil before you take the T out for a drive. To this day – “knock on wood” I haven’t forgotten to check the oil in the cars I drive. Those kinds of lessons – learning to be responsible – were important and I thank my parents for all they taught me and all they put up with.

And I agree with Wayne – we have so many folks to be thankful for – as he listed Ron, Royce, Bruce, Trent, and many many others. Most of my postings refer to information they have previously cataloged for all of us. There are also a lot of behind the scenes folks. If you look at a set of the “Vintage Ford” on CDs – you will see Dave Dunlavy’s name and phone number listed as the person to call if you have any problems getting the CD to load and work properly. Dave was the primary mover behind putting all that information on the CDs so we could easily access it. (That is were the copy of RV Anderson’s low cowl 1923 roadster rewooding article comes from.) And there are lots and lots of folks doing different things to help our hobby – and we need them all. There are also many folks we can no longer personally thank. They have already departed, but left us the cars they saved or the books they wrote, or the procedure they figured out for doing something on the T. And there’s YOU! As you continue to make folks feel welcomed and help them with the some of the things you have already learned you ensure that our hobby and our club will continue to grow in the future. And as you take kids and others for a ride – you never know which one of them is going to be a future Model T’er.

Above a picture of Hap and our 1907 Model S Runabout (needs a lot of work -- both the car and Hap)

Blatant advertisement: If you have any information or pictures about body numbers for 1906 – 1922 open Fords, please let me know. Please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40322.html for where to look etc.

Thankfully submitted,

Hap Tucker 19l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout (both of those from my Dad). Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 06:04 am:

Hap
Great photo! Good to put a face to a name! Good to see you polishing the brass! You must fire your barber, as he has used the wrong shade of black dye.
Best wishes - John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 06:49 am:

I agree with everything said above, ..and with putting another face with a name. It would be neat to see the same pose but a few years later. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner, LosAngeles,CA on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 02:37 pm:

So selfless. Thanks to Thunder's thread, I think we have just tossed Hap's name into the Yumori hat !!! That or he'll be Beautified .
Respectfully
George n L.A.

PS: And it's true about a lot of other longtime posters, That Hap didn't mention. I met one, in person, two weekends ago, that I've been chatting with for ten years here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 08:06 pm:

Would that be "beatified?" I think he's already "beautified" It's all the silver hair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck, Shreveport, LA on Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 09:24 pm:

And I'll bet Hap doesn't care less what color it turns, as long as it doesn't turn loose. :-)

Mine's turning loose and I'm about 10 years Hap's junior.

See what all that clean livin's done for you, Hap?

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 12:23 am:

Great pic Hap, so glad to see your a young man just a couple of hours older than I. I haven't read a thing I disagree with, so I can say "me too". I don't know the next time I'll be in your area but hope to check in and say hello. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Al Thomas on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:12 am:

I've only been at this a couple of months... definitely a newbie to the model T's (stock)... Without question it's very clear that Hap is just one one of those folks that has a passion for this and lucky for us new guys is also passionate about sharing the knowledge...

Big time thumbs up!

So where can I read RV Anderson’s low cowl 1923 roadster rewooding article?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner, LosAngeles,CA on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:41 am:

Stan, I was born Protestant. Forgive my ignorance, I just spelled it the way I always heard it pronounced.

Respectfully, George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Iversen on Friday, June 12, 2009 - 04:30 am:

SO much information. SO little ego. SO much the essence of what the forum should be. Questions yet unresolved? Address Mr. Harold Tucker with a personal inquiry. He may not have an immediate answer but will refer you to every pertinent discussion that has ever evolved in the arena of your interest. Unusually dedicated Ford historian. More than our sum of recognition.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration