Best way to sell a Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Best way to sell a Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 10:44 pm:

Hello,

I have a Model T that I am looking to sell. What is the best way to go about this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 11:02 pm:

I'd start with a classified ad on this site. Give year, body style, condition, other details, price, and contact info. I've bought two vehicles from ads in the Vintage Ford. That's also a good place to advertise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 11:14 pm:

How do you advertise in the Vintage Ford?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harris on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 07:52 am:

You might also want to place an ad in your local Chapter newsletter. This way your car has a chance of staying where you can still see it, and there is no problems with trying to arrange for shipping to other locations.

-Kathy
Lone Star T's Newsletter Editor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 08:47 am:

Location and condition facts are important in a ad.
Price,PLEASE for goodness sakes a price.There is nothing more agitating than to look at ads in a paper or carlot and no price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 08:47 am:

Location and condition facts are important in a ad.
Price,PLEASE for goodness sakes a price.There is nothing more agitating than to look at ads in a paper or carlot and no price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 09:12 am:

The magazine comes with MTFCA membership. http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/howtojoin.htm

MTFCI also has a magazine and a website, but based on what I've seen of their forum I think the bigger audience is here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David_Cockey on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 10:48 am:

Depends on how fast you want to sell. Vintage Ford is the MTFCA magazine but it will take several months between when you submit an add and when the magazine is mailed.

I assume you don't belong to a local club. If there is one in your area it would be worthwhile contacting them. They can probably list in their newsletter or website, and frequently club members are looking for another Model T.
MTFCA chapters: http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm
MTFCI chapters: http://www.modelt.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=15

The classifieds here and on are a good place if you want to sell more quickly.

Local classifieds and Craig's list are other posibilities but the potential buyers will be limited.

eBay is another possibility and will provide the largest audience of potential buyers. Take time to write a good description and include lots of photos. Make sure there are photos of the both sides of the engine, front and rear axles, and interior in addition to the exterior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 11:12 am:

EBay is fast if you are realistic about a reserve. If you have time and want top dollar, try all the print and internet classifieds you can find. Good pictures that show off the car to its fullest and an accurate, detailed and enticing description are important, especially on eBay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 12:29 pm:

You don't necessarily want to meet reserve on Ebay. It is actually better for you as a seller if the car does not meet reserve, then you sell the car directly without paying eBay a commision on the sale.

The key to selling anything on eBay is to be honest and provide enough great pictures and great description to attract a buyer. You always want to include your phone number in your eBay advertisement for a vehicle. Include enough pictures so that you don't have to become a internet pal to people who don't see the view they need to make a decision.

Compare these two auctions to see the difference between good and poor auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-Touring-1915-Original-Well-Restored_ W0QQitemZ200347083434

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:I T&item=260419617774

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 12:47 pm:

I agree about listing a price. Seeing ANYTHING for sale without a posted price is a deal-breaker for me. It tells me that a game player is on the other end of the deal. I have always walked right past those types of sale items, and always will. If it's for sale, post the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 12:48 pm:

"Does anyone know what time it is" - email me if you want some help selling your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 04:46 pm:

Thanks for the advice. I have it listed with the price and will update with more photos of the axles. It is currently listed on Hemmings.com

Will see how that goes before I go the Ebay route.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 05:59 pm:

Lots of photos and contact information is listed here for our new friend from Binford Tools...

http://modeltengine.com/forsale.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Pullin on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 06:00 pm:

have you got a link for us to have a look at it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 06:14 pm:

"You don't necessarily want to meet reserve on Ebay. It is actually better for you as a seller if the car does not meet reserve, then you sell the car directly without paying eBay a commision on the sale.

The key to selling anything on eBay is to be honest..."

Hey, Royce -- I believe you're contradicting yourself there. When you sign up to sell something on ebay, you agree not to do what you just described above. I know the above happens a lot, but it's not playing by the rules.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 07:20 pm:

Mike,

I don't play by the rules unless they benefit me. I just shared a way to make the most money from the sale of your car. You can either use it or not, your choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 08:54 pm:

What a guy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Monday, June 15, 2009 - 01:25 pm:

It looks like a decent car to me.

Glen, the last line in my posting above is the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 02:18 pm:

Just a reminder for anyone looking for a new T. There are three now listed for sale with photos on our website. www.ModelTengine.com/forsale.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 05:58 pm:

Make that four - A nice looking TT in NY has been added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 07:44 pm:

Tim, I didn't see anything about where the touring is located. New York? California? Tierra del Fuego? Outer Mongolia?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 08:58 pm:

Ask "2 L Time" if your interested. Not my car. I'm just trying to help the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 11:23 pm:

Hi,

The car is located in Des Plaines, IL

Please give me a call if you wish...

I have started the T tonight and will try to upload a link to YouTube with it running.

Thanks,
"2L Time"
Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 11:24 pm:

Phone # (847) 390-6552

Thanks,
Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 11:40 pm:

After all this discussion, I would say the best way to sell Model T is for cash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 12:41 am:

YouTube video of my 1917 Ford Model T that is for sale:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TRWRacing

Thanks,
Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim ( www.ModelTengine.com ) on Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 08:45 am:

That is a sweet looking T, someone on here is sure to want it!

And remember - If it doesn't say Binford on it, someone else makes it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 2L Time on Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 08:34 am:

Other things that are included that I did not mention:
Bruce McCalley's book
Reproduction Ford Service Manual
MTFCA rebuild carb and Ford electrical system
8 Spare used coils ready for rebuild
Misc Ford tools and original jack
Org. Riverside Spare
Show quality rebuilt Holley NH carb
2 spare original mag lights
new spark control rod w/swivel

and more...

Thanks,
Eric

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration