Wilwood disc brakes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Wilwood disc brakes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwight Romberger on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 05:52 pm:

I'm a newbie interested in being able to actually STOP my 26 tudor. An earlier thread mentions wilwood disc brakes, but I called them and they said they do not have anything for a T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard G Goelz on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 05:59 pm:

Dwight, call Bill Tharp at 970-667-3992 he makes the disc brakes for Ts using Wilwood components.They work great, no fade,work backwards,and will slide the tires.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwight Romberger on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 08:18 pm:

Richard,
Thanks for the info.
I did call Bill.
Except for the welded tab on the brake pedal, is everything removable in case the person after me wants to go back to an original T?
Does it change the obvious appearance of the T?
Dwight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael F. Thomas on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 08:29 pm:

I have set on my 25 coupe. Everything except the tab on the brake pedal bolts on. You can put it back to original at anytime. In my opinion, they are no more obvious than Rocky Mountain Brakes and maybe less. The only thing I did different, was to mount the reservoir under the seat, rather than on the firewall. I just didn't want to look at it on the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwight Romberger on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 08:40 pm:

Thanks Mike.
Dwight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, July 27, 2009 - 10:23 pm:

The 26 Wide drum transmission brake will stop your car as good as any aftermarket brake. It is more than capable of locking the wheels. Further, in the 26 rear axle, you have a very capable large drum brake for emergency use should the transmission brake fail. If you keep these in good working order,in my opinion, this is all you need.

If you want to improve on this setup, the place to start would be floating hubs, not disc or Rocky Mountain brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim from ModelTengine.com on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 08:58 am:

Ted - wrong again. the 27 e-brakes activated by pedal and yoke would NOT stop my car. Three sets of linings and two set of drums were tried. The drums are too thin and the shoes aren't shaped right.

My aftermarket Colorado brakes will stop the car so fast that all three of my girls will come up out off the back seat a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwight Romberger on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 10:00 am:

The way it is now, the transmission brake does not come close to locking up the rear wheels. I have ordered new kevlar linings. I hope that improves it.

Thanks all.
Dwight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael F. Thomas on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 - 11:07 am:

My 25 coupe has the 26 transmission with the wide drum, and kevlar bands. We tour quite a bit. I have been in several situations, modern drivers who don't understand Model T. The disc brake set up will get me stopped, when the original set up would not. I like the idea of a seperate braking sytem, not dependent on axles, drive shafts, and transmission. I still drive my T "like it doesn't have brakes", (some of the best advice I ever got!). I tend to be a "purist", my car looks very original, but safety comes before "purist".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble on Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 05:00 pm:

Dwight,
I recommend the Stoltz Ranch brake equalizer for the 26-27. Mechanically links the parking brake to the brake pedal and augments the transmission brake. Many old threads regarding the various auxiliary brake options, more for the 26-27 due to the larger parking brake drum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, July 31, 2009 - 12:43 am:

Jeff, will that equilizer setup work on a TT with accessory rear brakes? I have a set of Rocky Mountain type(don't recall the name) for my TT and haven't been able to find an equilizer to go with them. Thanks. Dave

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration