Stolen parts spread the word .... Please

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Stolen parts spread the word .... Please
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

On Sunday 12/17/17 someone broke into my storage facility and stole my six Dayton 30X3 1/2 knock off wire wheels and two small drum Ruckstell rear ends. All the items were older restorations. The wheels are a complete set of six, non pin driven, painted cream yellow, complete with tires mounted, hubs and brass knock off nuts in excellent condition. The Ruckstells are painted black and "Just Ruckstells" If anyone hears of this stuff for sale please contact me right away. 510 581 4911 $500.00 reward for information that leads to the arrest or gets my items returned Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

Sounds like the scumbags knew just what to grab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

Ed, sorry to hear that. Thanks again for the deal in the top bows you sold me, Tommy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Someone had a shopping list and knew where to get them. Bet you know or have met the thief.
Sorry for the loss, hope the items will be recovered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

Ed, That sucks .. But it sounds like someone familiar with T parts that bring high dollar. Probably not much of a chance of them showing up here in Arkansas, but you never know. So I will keep them in mind .. Hope you get your stuff back ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

I think Walter is right. This doesn't sound like a smash and grab by some clueless druggy loser desperate for a quick fix. More like a pro who knows what he's after. Keep an eye on CL, eBay, and other media where parts are sold. The chances may be slim, but it would be nice if you could nail the SOB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

I had some stuff stolen about ten years ago. I never saw the items again, the police were of no help, though I did file a report. Insurance did pay some of what the value was, but then cancelled my policy. Keep an eye out, the world isn't always as large as people think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

OH, CRIMINY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Ed Archer - Wondering what you mean by "your storage facility"? If you mean a rented commercial storage unit within a whole block of other storage units, those parts may not be very far away! In other words, an "inside job"! Another storage unit renter, or an acquaintance of one. Again, if commercial storage facility, was the fence compromised and point of thief(s) entry determined? If not, an "inside job" for sure! Find out if any other storage unit renter "victims" besides you. I can tell you that you'll have to do some investigating yourself if this is a commercial storage facility because if there were other units broken into, the manager probably won't tell you, because the manager and/or owner does not want that kind of information to get out and discourage his business. Be sure and make a police report, even if storage facility manager didn't, and get case number as you'll need it for insurance claim. Sometimes these things end up with at least some recovery,.....hope you "luck out",....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Friday, December 22, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Inside Job, Back track any and every one who knew about Your storage unit what you had stored there, even people that might have dropped by when you were there and You talked to about cars or restoration, also did management know what you had stored there, often no or little background check on personnel and as long as they are sober more or less most of the time no problem, and as they said in WWII lose lips sink ships, Is any one that knew about your items being stored, having financial problems or spending beyond their apparent means, this list should includes friends and relatives as well, There may be surveillance camera footage of the theft, but you need to check on it quickly since often they don't often keep the video too long, Hope You are able to find Your parts, You are the best detective to crack the case, X-Cop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 01:05 am:

Ed, that's disappointing. It's been my experience that people who know what these parts are will lowball you and try to get the better of you face to face on deals but they don't steal them. I hope this is an isolated incident. Best of luck on recovery and we will all be watching for your stuff being offered for sale.
Fordially Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lew Morrill on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Sorry for your loss. I agree with several other posters. This smells like someone familiar with those parts and where and how they were secured. Think about everyone that might have known about your cache of parts and start with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:35 am:

I hope it wasn't anyone in our hobby, but it sounds like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Ed,

Sorry that you have to deal with situation. Another thought to consider. While I'd like to think no one I our hobby would commit such an act, they may have unwittingly contributed to it by talking about seeing these items and describing their value and/or rarity.

An unscrupulous so called friend may be a more likely suspect. I wouldn't overlook "friends" of a friend.

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

Like Steve said, I'd also check the local swap meets, Car shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

Thanks guys for the concerned comments. 99% chance it's not an insider or one of "us". A little more about the storage "facility". I live in the "city" more or less and not a lot of storage area. 20 years ago I lost my rental storage 'barn" and a good friend of mine who has a ranch in a remote area near the town of Westley, CA. (kinda between Tracy and Modesto) said if you buy a container you can put it on my property. So I bought a 40 foot container and it worked out great. Well, he died late last year and his wife has finally put the place up for sale and she let me know a few months ago that I'd have to move my stuff. So I took one load and had a couple more to go. Only a few of my friends knew that I had a storage facility, and literally no one knew where it was and even if I said it was in Westley, it's farm country, you'de never find this place. I think the person that broke in was knowledgeable enough to recognize "wire wheels, any kind of wire wheels are worth a few bucks" So they may be car guys but doubtful that they know what these wheels will fit. Just my thoughts.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

Looks like we need lots of eyes out and about at Turlock- its only a month away. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

Ed You said You have had no problem for 20 years it is located in a remote area, which no one knew the location, What has changed, Ranch went on the market most likely a MLS listing with photos of the place on the web some of which may have shown the storage container, prospective buyers who probably asked about the container and if it stayed with the ranch, the realtor may know what's in the container and may have mentioned it talking to prospective buyers. When estates are for sale it can attract a lot of attention. Just a few thoughts, wishing you success in locating Your property. And A Happier New Year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Saturday, December 23, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

Dang that's terrible Ed, I will keep a eye out in the Seattle area. Craigslist, Swap meets, and otherwise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 07:28 am:

In a coastal state like CA I would say sadly there is a good chance the stuff is in another container headed to a foreign country. Alot of T's are over seas and folks want parts. We have alot more parts here in the US.Just thinking out loud here.I hope like heck i am wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Jim Davis,

You are spot on .....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:11 am:

What a terrible shame. Yes, I'm afraid there's some likelihood of your parts being on a container ship headed across the ocean. You'd think, in a close-knit society as we Flivverites have, fencing such stuff would be difficult—but not overseas.

I'm reminded of how the 1964-5 James Bond Aston Martin, from the Goldfinger movie, was stolen. -Now, how could anybody get away with possessing one of the most conspicuous, rare and most recognized cars in the world? -What on Earth would they do with it? -Well, my guess is that some ridiculously wealthy monarch or relative thereof has it in his extremely private collection and it just sits there like a work of art.

https://jalopnik.com/5728724/where-is-james-bonds-aston-martin-db5

So sorry this happened to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

I just went through Westley today. I-5 runs right through it, but the old part is on Hwy 33. I still think it's an inside job, or is that all you had in the container? Try to have a Merry Christmas Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, December 24, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Hi Ed, I'm sad that this happened. I hope the blankety - blanks that did this are caught and get the book thrown at them, and that you get your parts back in good condition.

In spite of this, please have a Merry Christmas.

Best wishes,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 12:28 am:

I want to visit Harry Yeaggy’s Private Car Museum In Ohio to see what else he owns ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, December 25, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Ed sorry to hear of this will keep a keen eye out
Might suggest rat rod and other vintage car groups be watched not saying but had be someone who knows stuff as a thief would bother with a rear end unless they know its value

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

ED, Sorry to hear this news but we'll pass the word and keep a sharp eye out down here in SoCal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, December 26, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

ED, Sorry to hear this news but we'll pass the word and keep a sharp eye out down here in SoCal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Wednesday, December 27, 2017 - 09:54 am:

Around my neighborhood we have to deal with scrappers taking any kind of metal they can get. The business next to the company I work for had an iron ladder bolted to the side of the building stolen proving that even if it's bolted down they'll still get it. They break into houses and rip the copper pipes out of the walls.

Check the scrap metal yards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sayer on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 01:12 am:

Sorry to hear that Ed, when you stated on the phone you had been busy I didn't realize with what. What a crummy thing to happen before holidays.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration