Top socket measurements 1912 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Top socket measurements 1912 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Friday, December 29, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Anyone with original top irons I need to know how long each is from the wood down to the end of the loop where it mounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Hello Bob:

I just took the measurements on our '12 Touring as per the photo attached:
From the rivet or hole center on the left in the photo to the hidden end of the metal on the bows;

#1-Upper iron 29-3/8";
#2- iron 22-3/8";
#3- iron 21-7/8";
#4- Lowest iron 28".

These dimensions plus this photo of the actual irons should help you identify what you are after.
Good luck and Happy New Year! Tom Forsythe
'12 Touring top irons in down position

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel Indiana Truck Logansport In on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Tom,

Thank you so much. This will help more than I had hoped and the picture is a bonus. That is a real nice 12 you have. Is there a story behind it? Sometimes where a car came from or the restoration is just as fun to know as seeing the finished car. I have plans to share the restoration of my 12 as it happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Hi again Bob: Thanks for the compliment. I could write a book on this touring since my purchase in April of 1998! I spent 4 years doing a ground up restoration of a barn fresh machine free of rust; and have not yet stopped with upgrades and safety improvements.(Since 2002 we have clocked 25,550 miles of pleasure!)It was reported to me that this car was sold new in Sherbrooke, Quebec. I have an original photograph of the Ford dealership- Sherbrooke Motormart, taken in 1912 with 1912 Fords in the show window!(As was common practise for many years, the year a building was constructed was often clearly engraved in the concrete block or stone work. In the old black & white photo you can see this new 1912 building. Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I drove to Sherbrooke and parked in front of this same block building, today housing a grocery store, wherein you can still see the 1912 date.

What stage are you at with your 1912 Touring? I can give you many pointers if your interested.
(I have to reduce a photo that I'll send on later.)

Sincerely;

Tom Forsythe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

For your enlightenment a photo of our T about 7 years ago on a trip into Maine and the eastern coast. Enjoy, TomTom's T in Maine

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration