Wrong Spoke Jack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wrong Spoke Jack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Got this spiffy spoke jack on eBay .... but ... it's too short. Can I use it safely with wood or metal block? Or .... is there anyone out there who needs a short one and would trade for a longer one?

Spoke jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

It shouldn't be a problem to make it longer, a new piece of all-thread or cut it in the middle and weld a length of pipe in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Use a piece of hard wood as a spacer. Carving one side of the wood spacer to match the curve of the inside of the felloe would be a nice touch.

Oil the threads on the spoke jack before using to make them easier to turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Ok, thatís what I thought. But .. does anyone out there need a short one and have a long one to trade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

I've never used one or even seen one in person. How short is it? I'd hate to ruin the patina by welding or replacing the threaded portion. However, if it is short enough, could you build an adapter from threaded rod and a rod nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

I can just make a hardwood block to go between the jack and the felloe. So stupid of me ... the seller did have the longer version at auction as well. Itís still there if anyone is interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Don't be afraid, the wood block will work fine. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 06:52 pm:

Yup ... now that's what I'm talkin about. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Mark, about 4 1/2 years ago I gave a longer spoke jack to our friend Jack Daron. It's exactly what you need. If you know Jack's sons maybe they'll trade with you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:24 pm:

Looks to me like one of those wouldn't be terribly difficult to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I saw this home-made one on an earlier thread, using all-thread, a couple of nuts and washers, and some carved hardwood:

jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:44 am:

Hi all ;
Can I use this Spoke Jack on this kind of wheels ???.
Thanks for your answer.
Toon
0339S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

Toon, I don't think those of us with wood fellos should dare that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration