Starter problem I think

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Starter problem I think
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Went to start the T today and it cranked a few times then nothing. Battery has power, fuel pump works. I bypassed starter switch and still nothing. Could bendix be jammed against flywheel? Or something inside Starter? It was rebuilt about 9 years ago. I am kinda stummped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Fuel pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

I just put a used starter on my '21 Touring a few weeks ago. It worked fine until a few days ago. I tried to start the car on a cold morning and the starter attempted a couple of tries then quit working completely. I removed it and tried it with jumpers direct from battery to starter. The starter runs but seemed sluggish. I have now disassembled it. The brushes are worn, but not much. I plan to clean all the parts and reassemble it and see how it does. You might want to do the same.
Would it cause problems if I immerse the end cap, where the brush holders are, in cleaner then blow it dry with my air hose?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Ran into similar thing just this past week. I wound up pulling the starter and cleaning it well and replaced some insulation material. It ran great on the bench but after I put it back in it wouldn't work. Even jumped strait from the battery to the starter... Could hear it pull in but no cranking. Took it out again works on the bench. I've determined it's the battery. It's a couple of years old and voltage checks fine but just doesn't have it to turn the load in the car. The engine turns over fine by hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Fuel pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Tim

If running other than 6v battery, with your fuel pump, sometimes the Bendix takes a beating. If the engine is locked up, and you can't hand crank her over, then the Bendix gear may be jammed against the flywheel gear. Try pushing back on the car and rock it back to unlock the Bendix, that may help.

Otherwise, you may have to disassemble some parts and pieces :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

I have one of those maintenance free fuel pumps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

You can get a battery load tester now at Harbor Freight for around 25 bucks ,cheaper with coupon,that will put a 100 amp load on a battery and test it. Works well to confirm ye or nay on a battery. They have 1 that puts a greater load on a battery for more money,but the 100 amp works.
You could put a analog volt meter to the battery and hit the starter switch and see if there is a large voltage drop and do about the same thing as the tester.
Also,Make sure the starter housing is clean of rust snd stuff and the hog head. A bad ground will make for goofey issues to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

We don' need any steenking fuel pomp."

When I bought my 1923 touring the previous owner told me it had a bad starter. I installed a new battery and the starter cured itself. That was nine years ago and it still works fine. Something to check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

Thank you all for your advise. I will start with the battery and make sure that fully checks out then move on to starter.

Mack- I do have a HF load tester, I just have to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:23 pm:

I have a Texas T carb on the car and it needs a fuel pump to run. I should have explained that in the original post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

A good ground is as important as a good battery connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

Hal- That's the first thing I am going to check when I get back to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 12:00 am:

Update,

No starter problem, all battery related. Check and cleaned terminals and put battery charger on slow charge, 2 days later I tried it and car started right up. Lesson leared: start with the simple stuff first. Good thing I didn't pull starter unnecessarily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:39 am:

Like Hal said, I replaced a weak ground with a better ground and the starter worked a lot better.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration