What Have You Done To Your T In January 2018?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What Have You Done To Your T In January 2018?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Well I guess I'm a little early but I got this neat 12 x 18 wall hanger of my Runabout for Christmas...

Will be doing a lot of this with my son this Winter as well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:39 am:

Not a thing, it is still 2017 here in Paso for another 2 1/2 hours!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:37 am:

New years day here, fitted some new old stock English made Dunlop Cord tyres, really was a waste of time! gum cracks in the side walls!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Clear skies today, I may take Betsy for a drive later if the temperature climbs above +10 degrees F. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:43 am:

Going to back the T out of my tiny garage and staple some sheet plastic up top to insulate the rafters. I have a propane stove in there and a tarp on the concrete floor. Am hoping that plastic sheeting in the rafters and some hanging from the walls will keep in some heat this winter so I can work in there more comfortably. It’s 8 degrees in there right now.

Also need to go through my stash of parts in the garage and sell off all the stuff I really don’t need so that I have some elbow room. Will post in the classifieds this winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:54 am:

Late yesterday afternoon I installed my hogshead on a 25 Touring project. Took a lot of time and I used a lot of dental floss on those springs, washer and nuts so I didn't lose them in the tranny. So I woke up in 2018 feeling with a smile and feelin' pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Nothing! I just got out of bed a half hour ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Well, I opened up the garage door, took a look at her, closed the door. Now having my morning coffee and regular routine of reading the classifieds and Forum on the MTFCA.com

Happy New Year...

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Off to the lumber yard to get stock to mount an Express bed on my 26 TT snowmobile.finished up Warford installation and oil leak repairs and reinstalled engine over the weekend getting ready for first snowmobile meet jan.21 in NH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Going out to the shop to work on the 25's front end and install the speed reduction on my Craftsman 103 drill press. I can get the speed down to about 260RPM with it but will still need to get slower, around 100RPM. Dad suggested 2 speed washer motor 1740/1140ish RPM will get much closer. Because of how the drill are set up, can't do a lot with pulleys. I need to get the speed down to drill the boar holes in my adapter plate. :-)
Now back to T stuff. It's gong to be a survivor type. As bad as it looks, it will run on magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Kowalczyk - Nampa Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

I took my 23 for a quick ride on the icy road out front and back to my garage...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

A water pump EXTRACTION will occur tomorrow. Block flush, new hoses and a new radiator will insure a properly cooling Model T !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

I welded up some well worn hood hooks for my '25 today. Now they look good as new. Bought some of the reproduction ones, made in China, They are made too big & bulky. Put them right back in the bag to sell at a swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

Got the belts and speed reduction pulley installed on the drill press. Well best layed plans...The belts slip too much and the counter bore just bogs down. I am wondering if the 6061 aluminum is just too cold, it's real gummy to work with. I was miscalculating the motor speed, it's 1425 50 cycle 1/4 HP not 1740 60 cycle as I was using to calculate belt speed. I miss read the chart for the 4" hole saw, with the reduction pulley in place the speed is correct but a trial run, it's no go too. At the correct speed it just barely cuts, chatters and bogs down stopping the belt. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 07:41 am:

Mark,

With a 4" hole saw, are you using cutting fluid, of some type, to lube and help remove swarf?

I've always had trouble with the large size hole saws. There are recommendations of drilling a hole or two exactly where the saw will cut, to allow the cuttings to drop out of the saw teeth.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Everyone needs at least one friend with a mill.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

Mark,

When you reduce the speed a lot, you usually end up with one pulley so small that it doesn't have enough surface area to grip the belt. Maybe try some belt dressing to get a better grip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

The sun came out and the temperature got above 20 degrees F, so I went for my first drive of 2018 in Betsy today, one of my standard 16 mile loops. A gentleman in a late model red pickup truck followed me home to look over the car close-up and take some pictures with his cell phone. He told me that Betsy was holding 30 mph on the climb up the hill into town, so that made me feel pretty good. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

Got the 4th wheel done and installed! Now all 4 match again for the first time since I’ve owned it! Also, since the weather was crappy, finally installed the ‘claw’ latches on the tailgate that I bought maybe 7 years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:03 pm:

Betsy has those same latches on her tailgate. I also installed chains and covers originally listed for a Model A. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

Setting up my friend's magnets:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

I was thinking today about belt dressing. It's the bigger pulley on the spindle that the belt is slipping on, not the small one. Part of the problem is the motor is on the light side so may not be putting enough tension on the belt but when I pulled on the motor to increase, it vibrates more then is good. It's a fan motor, 1/4 HP. Need something with a little more oomph and weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Took my head to the machine shop to get it resurfaced. Hope to get it back and back on the car Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

Finished up and painted my headlights for my speedster I Will get them put together in a couple of days

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 02:50 am:

The only fragment of pinion tooth that was identifiable. The rest was a fine powder. Notice how it looks like it was cracked a long time, the tooth rocking each time, widening the crack until it couldn't take any more repeated stress.

Just in case anyone was interested in the 4th main being poured.

Pushed into clay with a stick in the middle. Someone kindly bored it for me.

Didn't have anything to tin it with but normal soldering flux so naturally it hasn't tinned in some places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 09:55 am:

I would not run that 4th main, it needs to be 100%. This is the jig I've had good luck with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Made a few strangling tubes.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Wow Andre, very nice! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Beautiful work Andre.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

I started building a simple side mount package for my '22. This is the lower bracket which will bolt down on spacers using existing running board holes. So far everything is made from 3/16" x 1-1/2" flat stock. The upper will use the windshield base bolts so that no additional holes will be added. It's been too far below zero to do much else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Dave, your spare mount looks a lot like the one that Jack Daron used to make and sell. I have one of his on Betsy and it works great. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 03:41 pm:

Not a darn thing. I need to pull the starter out and get a rebuilt one from Glen but I’m still fighting the damn cold. Man this one hit me like a truck. A TT truck. :-) dropped from an airplane. A ford airplane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Mark, that side mount does look pretty similar to mine. By the look of your picture, it seems that another hole would have to be drilled in the fake door panel to mount the upper piece. I'm trying to avoid that. Time will tell if I'm successful! Does your lower piece attach to the running board through existing holes or did you have to drill new ones?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

I picked up my head after it was resurfaced. I have a Victor copper gasket for it. I will wait for warmer temps to put it back together. Hopefully next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Ouch! That must have hurt. Hope your head heals up soon! :-O

Dave, I did have to drill one new hole in the running board and a small hole in the false driver's door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

Nothing really but I just came off 12 weeks of 75+ hour weeks. I did clean up a nice core 26 NH carb and tested some coils and added antifreeze to my 26 rpu new years eve. Nothing sense but am fix the emergency brake on my newest 26coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

New to me 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Got the block of aluminum so I can start making the adapter for my Winfield carb to mate up to the manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clyde Gibson on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

It was in the twenty' today so I started my 26 ForDor sedan and took her for 20 mile drive. It is still on 6 volt but it starts good. I have to leave it in the trailer so will try to get some work done on it before we leave for the Florida tour. Have a good day enjoy your T as We do ours. Clyde.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Saturday, January 06, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

Hate admitting this, I've been really remiss, but I found someone who will rebabbitt my mains and rods etc... have to deal with rental unit issues, but it's time to pull the motor and get it re-done.

The mag started going, but only when I put the car in gear and pulled off (or tried to). Told me the thrust surface was cooked.

Felt bad putting it off, but I was really not sure if anyone still did this. So spent yesterday clearing space in the garage, need to get a puller and the eyes to yank the motor... pull it apart, and off she'll go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 03:28 am:

I just finished up my headlights got them put back together for my speedster project thanks bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Began stripping down my old top getting it ready to put on new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 09:11 am:

Even in North FL its cold in the garage, so all I have done is little assemblies, like the horn button on the '24 project.

Wire up the switch contacts after lacing the wires up the column.

Slip the housing over the column and feed the switch and wires into it.

Now add the button and align, using a small tool to keep the holes in the switch and housing in the right place, squeeze together, remove the tool and insert the thin long bolt and secure the tiny hex nut underside. Easy even with cold fingers :-)

All done, run the wires out to the engine compartment, twisting them is factory :-) to neat look, and attached the ends, one to the terminal block, (yellow/black tracer) gen/ammeter. The other wire to the horn. Test. Yes. Nice loud 'sick cow' bellowing blat from the Ford!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Boles on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

Rolled the 26 out of the garage to work on the radiator, removed the old hoses pulled the radiator only to find lots of rust. Ended up ordering replacement parts for inlet and outlet to the engine. The hose replacement will have to wait in till another day. Has anyone installed the 160 degree thermostat in the outlet? If so did it work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 07, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

I actually got something done today. Installed new bushings and brake cams and painted the housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 01:50 am:

Which car will be getting the Ruckstell, Steve? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 11:08 am:

It's for the 1923 touring, which will also get AC brakes. I intend to do some touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

Going with a 'Standard' gear ratio ??? Steve ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

Good question. I hadn't thought about it. Guess I'd better look into that.

Here's today. Sanded spokes and gave them a second shot of primer. I hope that's all they need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Making progress on my Winfield carb adapter job. Will finish up the lathe work tomorrow and then back to the mill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 06:13 am:

Just finished two carburetors. Hope they will work well.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Just about finished with the manifold adapter. Need to drill six holes and finish up some cosmetic work.

Milling the last flat.

Fit up, this thing might even work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, January 09, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Continued on straightening my frame. Felt good to get back in the garage after being shut out by the extreme cold for two weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:25 am:

I sanded the second coat of primer, declared that good enough, and painted the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:22 am:

Chad, is it taking a lot of pressure to straighten that frame? I haven't done that job yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 02:22 am:

Yesterday I removed Henrietta's handbrake cross shaft to fix the loose handle. There was little wear at the frame mountings, but the lever required an oversize hole/rivet, which I made. All was cleaned back to bare metal so I could bronze weld the handle to the shaft to make it more secure. I used some special bronze alloy used to sweat bicycle tubing into close tolerance fittings. It all went well. After dinner I went down to the workshop to tidy up, inspected my handiwork and then noticed the frame mounting I had neglected to put back on the shaft!
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 06:13 am:

Pat,

With the 20 ton bottle jack, I don't even feel resistance. It really moves quite easily. I had to jack it in a couple spots to get it even along the whole way. I am not sure if a short piece tubing between the jack and frame would move more evenly or not.

As you can see, I ran a string along the rail. What is a pain is that the chains sit on top of the string---you really have to undo the chains so you can recheck. But none the less it is a good indicator on just how far to jack it.

I also did it several times in each spot rather than trying to push it all at one time.

What was much more of a pain was getting it back in square when measuring diagonally across the top of the frame. That took quite a bit of force--as in I really thought I was going to break my come-along. My frame was badly out of square (I think it got hit on the front right rail). I thought about removing the front crossmember to relieve some of the pressure to make it easier, I was told by someone else that is what they had to do. I eventually got it back to square though.

It has been said it it best to reheat and rebuck the rivets to tighten it all back up. I can certainly understand why after watching it all move now. I probably should have looked for another frame in reality, however, this is for a Gow Job I am building and I will be welding new crossmembers in for the springs so that will keep it all square once done and I didn't hack up a better frame that someone with an original car might have needed. You could alternatively weld the seems on the crossmembers but that does detract from the original appearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 07:20 am:

Chad, it helps to put a block of wood that just fits tight in the frame rail, a foot or so long inside where the jack is placed. Helps to keep the jack from distorting the bottom flange so both the top and bottom flanges are bent at the same time. That's how in a past life, we straightened bent truck frames, but with a bit more persuasion, 20 ton jacks. :-). JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Good tip Dave. I didn't notice any distortion, but will check again to be sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Nice work Chad- I've got a frame I should run up to you..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Chad.
Why not use 3 equally high wood blocks for the string? Two to lift the string front and back. The third for measure above where you put the jack. Then the chains won't be a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

Great tip also Rolf. Actually on the driver's side, I was using some large nuts I had to set the string on as the running board brackets we're in the way. But the blocks of wood would accomplish exactly whats needed.

Tim, I'm usually around on the weekends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fords Masterpiece . nj on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:19 pm:

Steve Jelf : i didnt think you could paint the spokes before mounting ? But it only make sense .
Thats the first time i see that and always wanted to do that way to protect .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Haven't done a darn T related thing. Too cold (unheated garage) and snowy here in the Detroit area. Anyway, this is the time of year to get work done on our nearly 100 year old house and work on the phonographs.

I envy you guys with heated garages and (maybe) newer houses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 07:07 pm:

New cabinet in the back room. 1924 version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

I poured another set of Babbitt bearings today. I have been doing it for many years but each time I get a good feeling by getting another T engine road ready.
babbit pour

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

Prepped and painted a set of wheel bolts & nuts...

... and blasted more nuts & bolts and most of a spare tire carrier. The warm weather (53º) is going south and we're plunging back into the freezer, so more blasting is at least a week away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

Painted those nuts & bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 01:33 am:

Tore down my 1926 SR Frontenac motor for upgrades. The head needs 3 valves and all 8 guides. Ordered a Scat stroked crank and 4 new insert bearings.

More later,

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 05:16 am:

I have the head and starter back on my car. I drained the oil yesterday and left the drain plug out so anything and everything that would can drain out. Tomorrow I will, God willing, put the plug back, pour in the fresh oil, top off the coolant, install my brake light switch, and give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 09:33 am:

Painted the front spring assembly for a 26/27 RPU refurbish. Picked up 3, 10"×96", 1" thick roughsawn white oak for the wooden bed. $2 a board ft. Going to work great for a bed and for $40 for everything minus the floor, couldn't be happier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

This weekend I managed to move the speedster project down the the shed I have been keeping the pickup project in.Switched them out. So the chassis can sit and look at it's body and I can be working on both parts of the project.Spent the better part of the day messing with switches only to find all the 1's I have are sloppy in the same spot and cause the engine to spit and sometimes backfire.

I hope to get back on the project full speed this week. Have 1 zero turn to do a full service on as in change hyrdolic filters and fluid and so forth. I took the wheels off and cleaned them up yesterday. Storage is hard on stuff. Paint is failing a little so they will probably get a repaint. At least the second time they get painted my left arm aint in a sling! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 07:58 am:

for this....

I needed to do this....

to look like this.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Them cylinders are ready to go! Nice...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 03:04 pm:

Chris - That last photo you posted could/should be in the textbook! Beautiful crosshatch pattern that looks perfect for breaking-in new piston rings! You do nice work and take nice photos,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

Today I finished the spare clock. After the cleaning and oiling of the clock works,it ran for 8.75 days. The next step was polish the case and rim,this clock was nickel plated and in bad shape the lower case was painted over the nickel,half hour on the buffing wheel. This clock would be late 1910 early 1911 as the pat.dates run from feb 07 to aug 1910 Before After

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

Head and starter back on and running again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

Not nearly as much as some of you folks! I got my new starter in and had to re-install the manifold before I could get it to start. Today I made a choke linkage so I could operate it inside the car with the carb adjustment knob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Taylor, WA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:23 pm:

Made custom cover a cost of $20.00.Seat Cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

1) Rebuilt my L-4 carburetor.
2) Replaced the head gasket.
3) Switched out the timer and coils for a distributor (a temporary measure so I can drive a bit, whilst I get the coils set up and or replaced).
4) Readjusted the Rockies.
5) Changed the oil and pretty much did the general maintenance thing.
6) Then washed the car for the event this Saturday in El Segundo. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:19 pm:

Last night's piddling little snowfall (less than half an inch) may be all we get for the season, so I got the runabout out in front of the house to sit for its winter portrait.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Monday, January 15, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

I think the amount of snow is perfect for the composition. Well done, Steve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 08:53 am:

Steve, does driving in snow, if you avoid mud, get white tires clean? I remember riding my bicycle in the snow, as a kid (long, long ago) and the tires were clean as new afterward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 12:27 pm:

Colin, Nice job of nickel plating the bezel and case of your Stewart and Clark clock. Did you use the Caswell Plating kit or did you simply buff the existing nickel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Tommy, I don't know, and I'm too much of a cold weather sissy to find out. I drove just a few hundred feet, from the shop you see beyond the house and back. If we have some snow during warmer weather, up in the twenties, maybe I'll drive a little farther. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 01:50 pm:

Hello Bob the nickel was bad what you see is the brass.It took about 1/2 a hour to buff and polish, the clock that is in the 12 is also a brass case and matches the speedometer. I'm going to guess that nickel plated units are for the more pricey cars of the day. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

I'm not sure why but all the brass on our 1912 when freshly polished will look almost white, it takes about a week to go back to gold which is why I polish every week. All the brass is original and that may be why. I picked up a repro motor meter in brass and it will not polish up like the original brass. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

Colin, The polished brass certainly has a “white” element to it. Possibly a brass alloy with higher zinc content.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 09:57 am:

This afternoon I finished and tested my home build carburetor test rig.
Liquid used is distillated water, the level difference between the top of the bottle and the carburetor is 60cm (about 2 feet).
By blowing compressed air in the tube an air flow is created and make the carburetor work (if it is OK)That way I can see the gas flow by idle, full throttle and all between.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

Andre, That is a clever test apparatus you have there. Since you are using distilled water, one can use it indoors being free from combustible and noxious vapors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

Finished assembly of 5 Ideal Timers

I-Timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth E Kennedy on Thursday, January 18, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

Installed and wired spotlights on TT truck

Installed and wired up vintage spot lights

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 12:03 am:

I wired up my brake light and it works. I connected to the bat+ side of the starter switch. I wondered if the light would come on when the hand brake lever was pulled back. It does not. I was prepared to connect to ign+ somewhere if it did. Good as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 02:59 am:

Installed and finished a friends upholstery in his 23 Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

Nice day today and took the Good Ol' Girl for a trip to WallyWorld. Not's so good , car was flooding. Discovered the choke was closing on it's own. Need to replace choke spring and check float needle. Tapped on Carp and raw fuel was squirting out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

OH !! and good job Martynn. Did you get your car on the road for El Segundo Show ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, January 19, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Gave the 09 a rest this week and changed the oil and a lub job on both the 14 Touring and the speedster.
A few months ago I installed friction shocks on the rear of the speedster and I found some small ones for the front but I never got around to installing them. They are not really necessary on the front, but I have seen severe axle tram on the rear of the speedster when I followed it over a dirt road. The front will be set very light, more for looks than any necessity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 02:54 am:

Building a front axle in preparation for the next T build.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 05:10 am:

Had a nice visit with Dallas Landers and his buddy Friday. Found him some more parts for his TT project. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 11:14 am:

Stripped a Frontenac model t motor last week, then started looking for new valves for the SO Fronty head. Found valves very close to what I needed. Just had to cut 1/2" off the stem and cut a grove for the keepers. That done, then started on the rest of the head reconditioning.

Ordered a new stroker Scat crank with model a size journals, plus a set of Scat insert rods. Soon will order the new drum set and shaft for the transmission restoration.

Will balance everything and start reassembly in the next month, or as soon as the crank and rods show up.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

Yanked the carb, removed choke arm (it was practically falling off, reoriented the choke spring, installed arm and staked it down. Hope it stays put for awhile, not much materiel left. Rechecked float level. Since the arm was almost odd and the spring had slipped out of the little hole it was causing the choke to pull itself on and flooding the carb as it was running down the road. Installed carb and hook up linkages tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

There was a 3/8" hole in the left side of the dashboard on my '23 runabout. I don't know what was originally there but didn't like the hole and didn't wan't to screw up the paint on the dashboard welding it up. So, I found a nice vintage Westclox dashboard clock and made a special bracket that used the existing hole rather than two bolts that would have been used. It still allows tilting back the clock to allow winding and setting the time.

Clock

Clock up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eck Sheppard on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

It was a nice day here today so took the 26 out for a spin. Had a wonderful time and got quite a few waves

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

Yeah, I think I’ll leave my upholstery to the professionals!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 12:01 am:

I want my running board space for other things, so I'm putting a rear spare carrier on my touring, and I worked on that today.

My cousin Wally came over and applied heat to the rivets, and I did the mashing.

I haven't done enough riveting to be good at it. They aren't pretty, but they'll hold it together.

Good for another 90+ years.

After riveting, next was bending it into shape to fit. That involved a great big wrench...

...and a great big hammer. It was handy having a spare frame to make it fit.

I got it properly shaped for a rim to fit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration