Old Photo - Brass Era - Outfitted For Winter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Brass Era - Outfitted For Winter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:23 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Great pic!

I wonder what's up with the slats between the frame and front axle, rebound straps? License plate mounts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:40 am:

That is the lic plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:30 am:

I think it's part of the winter front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:45 am:

License plate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:57 am:

Early plates in some states were vented, most cars then had front plates hung in front of the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:30 am:

This is what makes the forum so great !! I have never seen nor heard of vented license plates ! Thanks for the picture, Dan !!
( I can't say I'm smarter, but now I'm better informed ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

It would seem that the states that had the longest cold winters would have the vented plates. I would think using a piece of tin or plywood would have been used also. I can remember my Father using a piece of cardboard on the cars we had in the 50's. In that era you could put it on under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:49 pm:

Ha ha ha, John, if only gummint agencies operated on logic !
If that were true, I reckon Idaho winters are at least as long and cold as any in the lower 48, but they never issued ventIlated plates here ! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

This thread makes me wonder how many states had the vented plates and if they command a premium to license plate collectors. They didn't have vented plates here in Texas that I know of. But it goes to show what can be learned on the forum. I just found out about the vented plates today!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

Thanks Dan...learned something new!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 07:10 pm:

Great picture of a nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

As we see here the tradition of "vented license plates" continues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BJ-LIC-CNN-370-VINTAGE-OREGON-AUTOMOBILE-LICENSE-PLATE-V ENT-COVER-9006-/370622886075

Good ideas carry on forever. 8o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:45 am:

At one time it was common for folks to display their plates in front of the radiator. I believe the vents were primarily for summer, so the car would be less likely to over heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Wayne has it right: the slots provide air flow should the plate be hung in front of the radiator. With most vehicles not having a factory supplied mounting location for the license plate, the motor car owner used his ingenuity to hang the plate or purchased one of many styles of aftermarket plate holders and often the plate was in front of the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 10:37 am:

The best part of that photo is, in my opinion, the side curtains! So many people in this club don't have a clue as to what they really looked like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:00 am:

In are part of the country it was common to see a big heavy long coat over the radiator and hood. A neighbor built a corn cob fire under his tractor, the oil on the motor caught fire and he was beating on it with a gunny sac to put the fire out, broke the settlement bulb and gas run down and burnt his tractor up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:23 pm:

I believe the tires on the car Bill Harper pictured are Morrilton Ar. If not they sure look like them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

Hi Bob,

The tires are P.J.A. Pneumatics manufactured by Petit Jean Attractions, and you are correct, in Morrilton Arkansas. I don't know when the last run of them were produced. These likely date to the late '60s or perhaps the very early '70s, when this car was restored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

I have what I think is a vented plate, but it's a different design. The characters are mounted on screen wire.

I have just the one plate and assumed that they were all the same. Then I saw a pair of plates. One was on screen wire and the other had a solid backing.
The owner of the pair said the screen plate was for the front of the car and the solid plate was for the rear.

Please don't anyone tell the wacky Calif. DMV about my transgression. They might come out to the house and confiscate the plate (or maybe the whole car !).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration