OT - 110 years ago today, a group of Fords made a "Century Run" from Chicago.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - 110 years ago today, a group of Fords made a "Century Run" from Chicago.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:38 am:

Chicago Ford Branch manager Thomas Hay led six Fords on the second annual "Century Run" 110 years ago today. The Ford six roadster below was on the run. Future branch manager R. P. Rice is pictured driving the roadster below during a fall 1907 reliability run, where it acted as the pace car, carrying confetti to mark the route.

Maybe we need to start a new tour.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:40 am:

I meant to add, a new Ford coupe is mentioned in the last article. Too bad there are no known examples of the Ford NRS coupe remaining.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:55 am:

It looks like they may want to fill the tires before heading out .
Happy New Year everyone .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Rob, what is the valve stem devices on the wheels? ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:32 pm:

Lenny,
That's a type of tire to wheel fastener. I have a photo of another car that was on the same reliability run as the Ford taken at the same location. I'll post it later when I'm back at my computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 07:57 pm:

Too cold for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:37 pm:

Another car on the reliability tour at the same street scene as the Ford Six, apparently with "starter" issues:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

Is the last photo you posted possibly a 1909 or 1910 Alco?

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

Sorry, should have read 1907 or 1908 Alco.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

Dan,
It's a 40 hp Berliet, driven by W. W. Shaw:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:15 pm:

Rob,

Regarding the Berliet, there is an interesting Alco connection. I found the following information from the Hemmings website:

"In 1906, Alco began to build the French-designed Berliet under license at one of its former locomotive plants, located in Providence, Rhode Island. At the time, Berliet offered models up to a massive straight-six engine with 9.5 liters--it rounds out to 580 cubic inches. The Alco executives were convinced they could craft a car that was lighter, faster, more powerful and better-built than their French franchise promised".

Two years later, Alco abandoned the Berliet license and the company began to manufacture its own designs. Could be why the Berliet looks a lot like an Alco.

Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Thanks Dan,
I did a little looking too. This must be the $7,500 four cylinder Berliet (listed as 40 hp). The weight is more than the K Roadster, although in this photo it doesn't look quite as long. Looks like the two cars shared one aspect, vanadium:

Also, a photo of the big $9,000 60 hp six cylinder:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

Thanks Chris.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 12:10 am:

$9000 translates to about $225,000 today. Not too many could afford that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Monday, January 08, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

Rob Heyen,
That is a very interesting block letter "FORD" attached to the radiator. You should look into getting one made like that for your Model K Roadster.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration