OT - Are Dutch people crazy?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - Are Dutch people crazy?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:31 am:

I leave it to all of you to judge. It is a tradition in Holland that on New Year's Day, thousands of people gather on beaches around the country and run into the sea. (That's probably why we haven't seen any posts today from the Dutch members of the Forum - they're still drying themselves off.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muN7o2mqczg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Perry Kete on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:46 am:

I don't know Dick...With the orange and brown hats on are you sure that they are not Cleveland Brown football fans trying to end it all after the regular season of 0-16?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:49 am:

Dick ; Not all the Dutch are Crazy , I just post a question on the 2017 Forum [ wrong spoke jack ]
All the best for 2018 !!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:51 am:

You could be right, Perry, but it's also true that if you see a bunch of Dutch people, you'll probably see orange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Somehow, Toon, I thought you probably didn't go to Scheveningen today.... :-)

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham Bellflower Ca. on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Being only half a Dutchman I only know what Grandma taught me. House of Orange, Klompen and a few words I shouldn't say from the other Dutch kids at Church. I miss my BIG Gingerbread cookie from Grandma every year and both Dutch stores have closed nearby, re-opened but not quite the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

THAT looks like FUN ....

I see several generations and families enjoying themselves - nothing could be better .... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

NOT crazy, but maybe braver than I! Remember what George said on Sienfield "Do you think she understands shrinkage?" That shrinkage might be permanent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

While the numbers are smaller there are lots of crazy people in many different countries that do the New Year cold water plunge, not all of them Dutch!. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Hendrikx on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 03:11 pm:

we are lucky now the temp is +7 ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:17 am:

Water was 11C air was 7C. It just give you a kick.
I do this every year for 40 years on the Belgian coast near to Oostende, just this year I wasn't.
Sometimes temperature and weather are worse.
The run and the dive takes only 5 minutes. After you get the feeling to be reborn.

Happy New Year.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:35 am:

I'm dutch too, certified crazy, but definitely no swim for me these days....
Happy New Year to all of you !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Andreasen on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

Not Dutch, but Danish. I've swum in Lake Tahoe in winter. You have to do a modified breast stroke to push the ice out of the way. That was 30+ years ago. If I did it today I would do a different kind of stroke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 07:42 pm:

I'm with Leo. I do crazy things sometimes, but none of them involve a combination of cold air temperatures and cold water. Andre, liever jij (of gij) dan ik!

Best wishes for 2018! Beste wensen voor 2018!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

In the first part of the video, with all the people running toward the water, I couldn't help thinking of lemmings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 09:08 pm:

Now you see what happens when you make left handed tobacco legal!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

Looks like opening day of deer season on state ground with all the orange hats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

That looks like a bunch of people that haven't forgotten life should be a little bit of fun! Great video!
For a polar plunge, I'd be behind the fence and watching!
They'll do similar next month here, announced it a couple times in the past. I stayed up on the ice. :-)
Here on lake Minnewarshtub, they shuttle the plungers out of warm fish houses, into the water and back into other warm fish houses.
"God is great, beer is good and people are crazy."
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:19 pm:

Exciting, fun, healthy.
Gets their pump going a little faster to lube parts of the body that are nearly starving.
By the looks of most of those people they should do that every day.
They all seem to be having great fun.

Now if you want to see a stupid, senseless bunch of people check how folks dress and act in the U.S. at Halloween.
Now there is a lame excuse for a day of tradition.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration