Houston...we have a problem...this is Model

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Houston...we have a problem...this is Model
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:42 am:

Ok I guess I should mention this, because I'm beginning to lose hope that anything can or will be recovered...

I survived the Creek fire, my house survived, as did my car (all to the good)...my drive that had ALL my drawings both originals and Jpgs. the photos I got from folks like Larry Smith's for his original Rocky Mountain Brake System, Glen Chaffin's Ruckstell's and John Stoltz's Distributor, Oil Filter, Rear Axle Truss and more) and the art all on that drive...every drawing I had every picture I got all gone! Because that stupid drive was damaged by the smoke. Now about this time you're probably saying..."didn't you back up?" Well, no, I didn't...stupid as that sounds and I'm kicking myself now because of that very thing. I thought because it was an exterior drive, that it would be safe...I covered my computer, but the exteriors I didn't bother, thinking that if they're not running, nothing should bother them. One of them still works...it's the one with Model T Encyclopedia and all of McCalley's books on it...the other drive was my working drive...that's the one that's kaput.

I sent it to a data retrieval guy, who so far has tried everything he knows, including contacting the company that made the drive and asking them, so far, he can see the drive, it says "hi", but when he asks to see the data the damn thing says "NO"! I don't have any super duper critical encryption on the damn thing, so I don't know why it's being so darn unfriendly. Anyhoo, he's not giving up, told me there are other things to try and has never run across a drive that has done this before, so it's become a challenge for him...I'm hoping he can at the very least get the file folder called Model T and if I'm really lucky maybe the one called Model TT as well. That would be the bulk of my drawings but as of now, I'm sunk.

The drawings that I've posted here are Jpg's but since the drawings I've posted here are half size and 120 dpi, they're sort of useless for printing in a book format...the only place that has all of my Model T stuff to date is Langs. The MTFCA Forum has a lot, but not all, since Chris didn't really post any other than the 1909 stuff and was trying to figure out what would be a good way to categorize them...but things get in the way and soon whatever was a hot thing to do becomes back burner stuff. Anyway...the Forum and Lang's are the only ones I've sent full sized 300 dpi drawings to as Jpg's...the art...well that's still on my drive...I hope. And of course Lang's and the Forum only have the Model T stuff, none of my Model TT (which I was planning on releasing to the forum for correction in Dec...before the fire) or Glen Chaffin's Ruckstell's or John Stoltz's products either.

So what I've got to do is get all those jpg drawings back, retrace them, so I have art and then back the bloody things up so I never have to go through this again...I'm sure I can get them back from Lang's and Chaffin and John Stoltz too, but Larry Smith's stuff I'm going to have to go out there and rephotograph everything and all start over again (and I was nearly done with his stuff too, damnit!)

Well I hope 2018 is a hell of a lot better than 2017 was, I burnt my Bayberry candles to the socket and waved the only silver coin I had out the door for money throughout the year (you're supposed to use a silver dime...but I don't have anything but the clad's, so I used the only silver coin I had...a 1922 Silver Dollar), if a dime brings you coin, than a silver dollar should work a hell of a lot better...right (since it's 10 times greater than a dime)? Well that's what I'm going to put my faith and hopes towards...and that the data retrieval guy can get my stuff off that blasted drive!. :/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Sorry to hear that.

Don't forget your picture albums on Facebook.

Were they uploaded there full size?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:51 am:

I had a friend that was a world champion wood carver. He taught classes and since I did his lawnmower repairs and such, he didn't mind me watching the class work long as I didn't make noise or bother folks.He got me into making pens with wood. Anyhow, 2 of his students were way up in the fbi.
1 of the other guys ask them 1 night about computer data. The answer was even with a nail driven thru the drive, the remaining data could be recovered. In high profile cases, were the data on a drive is important enough, the manufacturers will actually rebuild the damaged portions of the drive so it can function and the data be recovered.
The guy said the only way you could stop them from getting data off your computer drive was to literally demolish it with a sledge hammer and BURN it at high temp.
So if all that got to yours is smoke,I can't see it being a problem for the right guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Most likely carbon from the smoke shorting something out.
You might try a good blast of clean dry air to see if it dislodges.

Another possible way to clean it is to wash in IPA and then let it dry. Maybe low heat to help it dry.
I would only do these last steps as a last resort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:59 am:

In all likelihood, the disk platters themselves are OK. There is only a tiny vent to the interior of the drive to equalize pressure, and it has a filter of some sort on it. Seems unlikely that much smoke actually got inside the drive. The right people should be able to recover it, but it may not be cheap.

For future reference (and for others), a remote backup service like Mozy is simple, automatic, cheap - and invaluable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:06 pm:

Unfortunately, picture quality on Facebook may be worse than here. You can upload any size file there, but it will be reduced. A 2.6 MB photo I uploaded is posted at only 156 KB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

Can sympathize. Lost a hard drive with photos of family, cars and homes we'd had. Total loss from Hurricane Wilma. That drive was my back up. So beginning in 2006 we began with a new drive and more pictures. When we moved here that drive along with a lap top were in a suitcase that had been inspected by the TSA (their calling card was inside the suitcase). Once settled and after plugging in, both of the drives were empty :-(
Thankfully we had quite a few pictures on discs we had on our carry on and I had also uploaded a few photo albums to the old Google Picassa Web that I was able to retrieve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

Martin,
I feel your pain, as a year ago my drive literally crashed (the computer was pulled of the desk while in use--long story, not going into here. At first, it worked fine--for about 3 minutes, then "click-click-click, and no information coming out.
I didn't feel my data was worth the $1500 recovery with no promise offer I was given, so all that stuff is just "gone."
It was cheaper in my situation to just replace the computer, and I bought a 2GB backup hard drive system. However, since the Wall fire, when I grabbed my computer tower and kept it, that backup drive doesn't work! Auugh!!
So, like you, although I KNEW and KNOW to back up stuff, well. . . . I'll get a round tuit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Martin- If you e-mailed the files to someone as attachments and you still have all your "sent" files on your e-mail account, you can retrieve your files from those attachments.

May not be 100%, but it may be a way to get some of the files back.

Just FYI for everyone- solid state hard drives or even memory sticks are a great way to have a secondary backup to a mechanical hard drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

Mark, the jpg's I posted to FB aren't full size nor are they 300 dpi. They're like the ones I post here...4 x 6 120 dpi...they are quite useless for book printing, they're ok to download and use for you guys though.

Fred, they're thinking there's a little bit more than smoke going on here...something about static electricity, screwing up the file access program ( I hope that's all it's screwing up).

Steve, also I don't know if you know this or not, but FB reformats everything you post...they'll not be jpg's if you put them in an album, they're some proprietary format to FB...which made it impossible for me to retrieve them from there...besides they're only half size and 120 dpi anyway.

David, I always have problem find them blasted round 2it's...I know I've seen them but finding them, well that's something else entirely.

Dan...hmmm that's something that hasn't occurred to me...I'll have to look into that, thanks. :-)

Still doesn't help with the stuff I haven't sent though, like Larry "Original" Smith's Rocky Mountain Brake System or my Model TT rear axle drawing which I was going to post here...but then we had that stupid fire come over the hill towards us...damn homeless folks, they've started 4 out of the 6 fires burning here...1 was trying to warm himself (in a wind storm with 80 mph gusts no less), 2 were trying to heat up some food also under very windy conditions and the 4th one was just being stupid or careless or both.

But Dan, I'm going to check my sent file...maybe I'll get lucky and at the very least have the jpg's there...still will have to redraw them, but it's something at least.

The ones I'm really smarting over are the other drawings...the duplicates of the ones you've seen, only those were for the book I want to publish...they've got Factory Numbers and Change Dates...they look more like what you'd find at an auto parts store than just an artsy fartsy drawing. Which means, I've got to go and look up all those numbers and dates again too....fun never quits, I guess...right? :/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

All-same thing goes the other way- If Martin has sent you any files and they re still in your e-mail in box, you can send those back to him!
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Really sorry to hear that Martin. I hope you can recover at least some of the lost data, glad to hear that your house and "T" survived.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

Martin,

Sorry to hear of your situation. It might be worth a call to the computer evidence recovery people who work at a crime lab to get a recommendation from them to help you.

Best of luck and happy new year,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

The advantages of using Mozy or a similar service are that you don't have to remember to do a backup, and the storage is physically in a different place. Once you have it set up, the backups happen automatically multiple times a day. It doesn't take much resources because they just grab anything that has changed. The storage is off in the cloud somewhere. A local backup drive sitting next to your computer doesn't help much if you have something like a fire or a flood - or if you don't remember to do the copies.

Mozy costs less than $10/month for up to 3 computers and something like 125 GB of space. It's saved my butt a couple of times.

(I have no connection to Mozy other than as a happy customer. There are other similar services available.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Martin,

I'm sorry to hear of the data loss. I also suspect that the "right people" could recover more of the data -- but you may or may not be able to hire the right people?

If you have a college / university near you that offers a Cyber Security degree they may be able to point you in the correct direction?

Good luck and hang in there.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

If it's an external drive, just remove it from the case and mount it INSIDE the PC and see if you can read it. Could be the case or cable that's bad. Or get another external mounting case. Most often, the case goes bad before the drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:34 am:

Not sure if this is is germain to this situation. My wife owns Subaru Centers and she has had all data transfered to the cloud what ever the heck that is.

Our IT guy sez in plain language our computers send everything in our system up to the cloud in pre timed intervals through out the day. At the end of the day it compresses all our daily transactions, bank records, inventories sales and service records into a second cloud location. So we have all company records safely stored in 2 cloud locations that my wife can access from even her cell phone if necessary.This information also is accessible to her where ever in the world she may happen to be.

Not sure if this is cost effective for individuals but might be worth looking into.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 07:54 am:

brasscarguy - That's exactly what Mozy and plenty of other services like that do for $6-10 per month for home use. Well worth it in my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:13 am:

I would second what Stephen has said, but I'm sure your friend has tried swapping it into another case. Another trick I have been successful with is mounting the hard drive from a Unix/Linux OS and being able to recover files. Was able to do that for my wife's laptop when her HD died and recovered most of her files. - Good luck and hope you don't have to redo all your hardwork. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

Matthew, that's what this guy's using Linux Mint...and he hasn't been able to do jack, other than to exchange pleasantries with it and when asked to show him it's files, it tells him to go stand on his head in a bean field. He told me he had never encountered a drive before that wouldn't open for him, so now I guess it's more personal than professional with him, which is probably why he's not mentioned money...yet.

I just want three files off the damn thing "Model T" and "Model TT" and one other one that I'm not at liberty to say (but it is Model T related)...I'm wishing now that I had put that file inside the "Model T" folder...but since they're all AWOL at the moment, I guess it really doesn't matter all that much...oh well, fun never quits...right? :/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

Tried to take a picture with my Kodak Easy Share camera but had a problem in that I could not view any pictures currently in the camera. Got a message my SD card was bad and needed reformatted but if I reformat all data would be lost. Most pictures had been down loaded to the computer but I don't know how many and which ones were not copied. Lesson - Back up data cards often.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration