Houston...we have a problem...this is Model T related.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Houston...we have a problem...this is Model T related.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Ok I guess I should mention this, because I'm beginning to lose hope that anything can or will be recovered...

I survived the Creek fire, my house survived, as did my car (all to the good)...my drive that had ALL my drawings both originals and Jpgs. the photos I got from folks like Larry Smith's for his original Rocky Mountain Brake System, Glen Chaffin's Ruckstell's and John Stoltz's Distributor, Oil Filter, Rear Axle Truss and more) and the art all on that drive...every drawing I had every picture I got all gone! Because that stupid drive was damaged by the smoke. Now about this time you're probably saying..."didn't you back up?" Well, no, I didn't...stupid as that sounds and I'm kicking myself now because of that very thing. I thought because it was an exterior drive, that it would be safe...I covered my computer, but the exteriors I didn't bother, thinking that if they're not running, nothing should bother them. One of them still works...it's the one with Model T Encyclopedia and all of McCalley's books on it...the other drive was my working drive...that's the one that's kaput.

I sent it to a data retrieval guy, who so far has tried everything he knows, including contacting the company that made the drive and asking them, so far, he can see the drive, it says "hi", but when he asks to see the data the damn thing says "NO"! I don't have any super duper critical encryption on the damn thing, so I don't know why it's being so darn unfriendly. Anyhoo, he's not giving up, told me there are other things to try and has never run across a drive that has done this before, so it's become a challenge for him...I'm hoping he can at the very least get the file folder called Model T and if I'm really lucky maybe the one called Model TT as well. That would be the bulk of my drawings but as of now, I'm sunk.

The drawings that I've posted here are Jpg's but since the drawings I've posted here are half size and 120 dpi, they're sort of useless for printing in a book format...the only place that has all of my Model T stuff to date is Langs. The MTFCA Forum has a lot, but not all, since Chris didn't really post any other than the 1909 stuff and was trying to figure out what would be a good way to categorize them...but things get in the way and soon whatever was a hot thing to do becomes back burner stuff. Anyway...the Forum and Lang's are the only ones I've sent full sized 300 dpi drawings to as Jpg's...the art...well that's still on my drive...I hope. And of course Lang's and the Forum only have the Model T stuff, none of my Model TT (which I was planning on releasing to the forum for correction in Dec...before the fire) or Glen Chaffin's Ruckstell's or John Stoltz's products either.

So what I've got to do is get all those jpg drawings back, retrace them, so I have art and then back the bloody things up so I never have to go through this again...I'm sure I can get them back from Lang's and Chaffin and John Stoltz too, but Larry Smith's stuff I'm going to have to go out there and rephotograph everything and all start over again (and I was nearly done with his stuff too, damnit!)

Well I hope 2018 is a hell of a lot better than 2017 was, I burnt my Bayberry candles to the socket and waved the only silver coin I had out the door for money throughout the year (you're supposed to use a silver dime...but I don't have anything but the clad's, so I used the only silver coin I had...a 1922 Silver Dollar), if a dime brings you coin, than a silver dollar should work a hell of a lot better...right (since it's 10 times greater than a dime)? Well that's what I'm going to put my faith and hopes towards...and that the data retrieval guy can get my stuff off that blasted drive!. :/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Martin, there are several solutions where everything you have on your PC is mirrored in the Cloud.
I personally use DropBox and have moved the Dropbox folder so that all userdata are mirrored on Dropbox in the cloud. I can even kind of archive as I can remove a folder from mirroring. That removes it from my PC but it remains in the Cloud. If I later need it I can just enable mirroring again. Depending on your speed towards the Internet, it will reappear on the PC.
I pay 10$ a month for a terabyte which is twice the capacity of my PC. And I have migrated from one PC to a new like piece of cake. Install Droppbox on top of a clean Windows, move the Dropbox folder to the right place in the foldertree and logon to Dropbox. Leave it online overnight and you are done.
You're mileage may vary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:14 pm:

Martin - Don't give up yet. Shop around for data recovery services. Just because one guy wasn't successful doesn't mean all is lost. It can get really expensive, but some advanced services will take a dead drive into a clean room and physically transfer the platters into a new drive.

Whatever you do, don't toss the drive. There are a lot of creative people in the data recovery field. The last time I looked into this, the ante was $600 for a platter transfer. If your files are that important to you, keep going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Martin, the chance of my knowing something that your data retrieval guy doesn't know is infinitesimal, but I had a hard drive failure about six years ago and talked to a Model T friend who was also a computer guy. He told me to bring the computer to his house and he tried something that he admitted was a real long shot. He took out the hard drive and put it in his freezer overnight. The next morning, he was able to get about half the stuff that I had said was important. Then it went back into the freezer and later in the afternoon, he got most of the rest of what I really needed. I have no idea why it worked and he really didn't either, but he said he had heard about it and it sometimes works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

Ummm, I think everybody has gotten the wrong idea when I said "drive"...these drives are not disc drives, they're USB's Flash Drives 64 GBs. I wanted to stay away from anything mechanical since I've had those in the past and they don't always hold up well when I take them to other computers. I thought that a solid state storage device would be the way to fly...I just didn't realize that a bit of smoke and or static electricity would foul up their works too.

I haven't given up and nor has my retrieval guy, she seeing this as a challenging subject and I think is having more fun trying to figure out why this little bugger is being so damned obstinate. I say this because he's not mentioned money...yet but seems bound and determined to get into the stupid thing even if he's got to change it's operating system...not sure what that would do to my files, but he assured me that they would not be harmed...hmmm, wish I was as confident as he is on that score.

But all is not really lost, it just means I'd have to start completely over. I drew the damn things in the first place, I can redraw them...it's just going to take some time...a lot of time to do is all, and I was hoping to put things together a lot quicker than that and be finished with the chassis, so I could start in on the bodies.
Oh well, I guess I'll give the guy a month or and then I'm going to start over re-laying them out again...fun never quits...right? :/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 08:06 am:

Martin, I have been talking to a guy I work with.
He said to Take the USB apart and clean the chip, If it is smoke damage, he has done this with alcohol wipes and let it dry very completely and then see if it will work. He said the smoke is what is shorting the circuit board.
once you get it apart you will see how bad the damage is..BUT IT MUST BE CLEAN AND DRY!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:24 pm:

A USB thumb drive is not as simple as a hard drive because a physical disk does not hold the data. Try looking at a couple of these sites and see if they help.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/usb-drive-is-corrupted-and-unresponsive-recover -files/

https://www.cleverfiles.com/usb-flash-drive-recovery.html

https://en.softonic.com/articles/how-to-recover-a-usb-or-sd-card

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

Steve,

Excellent thought. The "smoke" is probably composed of carbon: a partial conductor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 04:10 am:

Hmmm, something to think about those sites are.

The retrieval guy has the drive, I suspect he's tried the cleaning thing already, but just in case he hasn't I'll ask and see. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Martin, he may have only have cleaned the contacts, it-the dust/smoke may have gotten inside from a poorly designed enclosure and the plastic case may need to be forced open so the board/chip can be cleaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, January 05, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Martin, we have 48 of your files on the server.

There are only a few that I put on the Drawings web page.

I have sent you an email with the details.

Any luck with the recovery??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration