Did i learn somthing??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Did i learn somthing??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:34 pm:

While watching the Rose Parade i saw a streached Model T depot Hack that was called a Jitney Buss.It was told the reason it was called a Jitney Buss was because the ride cost a nickle? The talking head said it was a 1924 but there was a nice brass radiator on the front.Anyone see it?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

jitney
noun ( pl. -neys) informal

a bus or other vehicle carrying passengers for a low fare.

ORIGIN early 20th cent. (originally denoting a five-cent piece): of unknown origin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

I didn't see the parade, but the connection to the nickel appears to be legit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_taxi#Jitney

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

Big boost for the "Jitney" was the bus strike in 1927 in New York. There is a photo of a T loaded down with passengers on page 98 in the book "HENRY'S WONDERFUL MODEL T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

If you watched the Rose Parade did you notice that the Grand Marshal was in the '17 touring that George Bailey drove in "It's a Wonderful Life"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Didnt see the parade Bud. Is that corn keeping you warm this winter? Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

Yup!! In a couple of days i will go get another ton,and i think i have enough Cherry Pitts now to last? I missed the 17 touring but i saw a 29 Packard i think? Happy new year! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:20 pm:

We ARE talking Dodge Brothers Touring, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

It was a popular tune in the day.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

One of the first books I bought when I first got started in this hobby ( 1965 ) was the Floyd Clymer book " Henry's Wonderful Model T ".

There is a chapter devoted to Model T related popular tunes of the era.

Best regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 05:23 pm:

Thank you sir! On the bright side i will learn the words and sing that song! On a lesser note,the way i sound it will not be a big hit! Thanks again.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Could this be the Jitney Bus that you saw? It was in the Holiday excursion in 1982. I recall it belonged to Ward Kimball and that may be him in the passenger seat. I am not sure who owns it now. It is in the Holiday excursion pictures that Chris Gorman linked to: http://www.socalhcca.com/holiday-motor-excursion/

If it is still in the LA area and was "Leaving 2015 HME...." that could be the one.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

Thank you for sharing the link.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

Brass radiator but worm drive TT rear axle? Hum,someone took some liberty's and built a nice bus even if it aint quite "correct" So 24 may be the year of the chassis and running gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pierre Dupuy on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

OK Mack, yo are correct. When my father, Frank Dupuy and his buddy LT Gotchy bought the truck in 1949 it was a produce vendors truck. As they were both huge RR and street car fans, they immediately turned it into a Jitney and the Metropolitan Rapid Transit Company was born and they drove the bus on many outings and antique car tours. By the 1970's, the bus had been sitting in the backyard at our house for so many years that the body had collapsed. My dad married my mom in 1954 and there was little time for Jitney frivolity from that time until we decided to rebuild it in about '73. It was then that dad decided to take some liberties with the radiator and added the Cadillac side lamps and low hood. When it came time to list the bus in the parade program, I knew someone out there would say, "Hey, that isn't a 1915 Ford TT. They didn't make TTs then!" Even some of my family members who aren't as clued in to all of that were surprised to know that the bus is not a '15.
That is the late Ward Kimball sitting next to my dad. They were good friends and lifetime RR fans.
Unfortunately, dad passed away last January, but I'm sure he saw the parade and his beloved Jitney. I don't think there's ever been a Model T in the Rose Parade in modern times. A great day for the Model T and a great day for the Jitney!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Pierre Dupuy, It was great seeing you & the Bus in the parade! With the Jitney tied up with the parade obligations I'm glad you had an alternate ride for the Holiday Motor Excursion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:50 pm:

Pierre,

Thanks for the back story. Very cool! How great that it's still going!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 09:25 pm:

I think it would be great to have one sarenated by the Barber Shop Quartet at the OCF,I Diddn't Raise My Ford To Be A Jitney!! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration