Top saddle question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Top saddle question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

Were there two different lengths of the "L" iron that supports the top bow saddles - shorter for roadsters, since there are fewer bows than the touring two-man top has to carry ?

I always thought it mighty awkward to access the turtle deck with the top down, and a short while back Larry Smith commented on a period photo that showed the top furled at a steeper angle. That "L" could be much shorter which would make it easier to open the "turtle". Mine drops the saddle about 5-1/2" below the edge of the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Yes, roadster L-irons were a couple of inches shorter. I can't remember the exact measurement, but touring car irons measure about seven inches from below the tapered socket to the centerline of the "L". That should help to figure which you have there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

The saddle irons on my unrestored 1917 roadster are shorter than the ones on my dad's 1917 touring.

Based on the above, I believe that the roadster saddle irons are shorter than the touring saddle irons for all model years.

Over the years, I have noticed a number of roadsters that have touring saddle irons so the top hangs too low when down. Most of those cars were probably basket cases or "put-togethers" instead of cars restored from complete originals.

Here's a picture of my 1917 roadster. (Ignore the arrows - I had used the photo in another thread for a different subject.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

Thanks fellows, I have a feeling I have touring irons . . . anyone have measurements for either or both ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

I just measured my original L arms, and from the end of the threads to the bottom of the L is 6 1/8". The car also has the original saddles which are quite hard to find, with the rounded bottoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Measuring the same as Larry, my touring car set comes in at 8-5/8".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Thanks much fellows, seems I have the right irons after all - wish they were shorter !! Larry, I'll have to examine my saddles to see if they are right for '13. Thanks for noting that !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:52 pm:

Thanks for bringing this up Rich.
I walked out and checked the 18 Runabout just now and find this:
From the bottom of the socket/mount to the center of the L, 7" on one side and 7-1/4" on the other.
A laser cut picture of the car with the top irons installed shows they are flat horizontal.
I guess we both need correct parts. :-)
Oops, I must be confused. :-)
And people might wonder why this forum is so popular... :-)

(Message edited by duey_c on January 01, 2018)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration