Connecting rod conundrum......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Connecting rod conundrum......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

I just realized that I posted this on the 2017 forum!

I'm building an engine and just discovered that none of my spare connecting rods are the same.

I have a mixture of connecting rods....heavy, medium and light. There are four of the heavy rods, so at least that's a "set". Is there anything really "wrong" with using them? This engine will be in a regular T, not a speedster. I'll be doing the babbiting myself and will match the rods by weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

If you use the older rods I would use aluminum Pistons. If you use the original cast Pistons I think it would be OK too. From what I have read Ford went to lighter rods and lighter cast iron Pistons to improve performance. I think the key thing to do is to match rods and Pistons no matter which type that's used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

Don't be afraid of the early rods. They were used on almost 4 million engines. They were discontinued in 1920.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

See your post on the 2017 forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

One of my cars had mismatched rods. Actually 3 different kinds when I bought it. Later I did some work on the engine and replaced them all with the lighter rods. It seemed to run OK at least I didn't notice any unusual vibrations with the mismatched rods.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:24 am:

The tooling I have to Babbitt rods is only a good fit with the light rods. This is probably the reason that both Langs and Antique Engine will only accept light rods as cores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

I have always believed or suspected the other reason is the Babbitt layer was a lot thicker and each rod took twice as much Babbitt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

What is the difference between the light and heavy rods. Can anyone post a picture of the different ones I have a lot of rods and would like to identify what I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

I took a picture of two rods , one light one heavy.
The light rod on left weighs about 365 g and is about 0.84 just before the flare on the rod.
The heavy rod on the right is 429g and 1.02 just above the flare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

I use either set as long as they are matched
Dont be affraid the heavy rods run just fine just harder to get new babbit in them

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration