Piston notches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Piston notches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

I have the head off of my '21 Touring to replace the gasket and resurface the head. The engine was rebuilt, but not cranked when I bought the car. The pistons are new, stamped .030, aluminum and flat top. They have two notches side by side on each. The notches are facing the rear of the engine. All the pistons that I have replaced, in non-T applications, had notches that were supposed to face the front. I don't know if the pistons have the slots in the skirt area. If they do, I have read that the slots should face the camshaft side, and I have heard just the opposite. Should I remove the lower inspection plate, remove the rod caps, rotate the pistons/rods 180 degrees and bolt them back up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Split skirts on a T block should face away from the cam side, but have come across several high mileage T's with them around the wrong way and showing no ill affect for it. Just turning the rods 180 shouldn't be done as the wrist pin bolt needs to be facing the cam on a T engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, January 01, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

OK I took some pics of the engine internals, with the inspection plate off when I first got the car and I can tell that the wrist pin clamp bolts are toward the camshaft. So I guess I will leave the pistons and rods alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary j. baker on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

on my 26 engine the slots are on the correct side,but the wrist pin clamp bolts are on the wrong side.should i correct this? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 03:27 pm:

Gary,
The engine might run for a long time without a problem the way it is, however if you have it apart, now is the time to fix it. It is very hard to remove the rods from the bottom without pulling the pistons. In fact if you have the original type pistons with one ring below the wrist pin, you would need to be able to compress that ring to push the piston back up. So the easiest way to correct the problem would be to remove the head and pull the pistons from on top and turn the rods around. However if you do this, you should hone the cylinders and replace the rings or you are likely to use a lot of oil and lose compression. So unless you have the engine apart, just leave as is until some later time when you work on it and need to remove the pistons.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary j. baker on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:25 pm:

Norm thanks for the reply. it is a used engine i am freshening up for my 26 coupe.while it is apart i will make it correct.thanks again

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration