Information needed on 1940 windshield wiper vacuum motor rebuild

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Information needed on 1940 windshield wiper vacuum motor rebuild
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:06 am:

Iv been all over the web trying to find a rebuild kit for my 1940 Chevy 1/2 ton truck vacuum windshield motor. Iv contacted Wiperman and he said he does not work on that type of motor. Its a 1 inch wide bowel. Is there anyone else that can help on this. Iv got the flapper soaking in brake fluid right now hoping it will soften some. The fiber washer that the spring connects to is broken at the spring contact. I'm trying to glue that back together. Be so much better if I could find the right parts to put it back together with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:09 am:

Ficken in New York used to advertise regularly in Hemmings, they did a good job rebuilding vacuum wiper motors. Are they still around ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:23 am:

Will you might try posting a question on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America's tec forum. Good chance someone there has the needed info.
http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary
You will have to sign up but it's looks to be a good place. I have used it when working on vintage Chevrolet's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:36 am:

Until you can get that wiper motor rebuilt, get a electrical motor conversion from

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/year/1940/Truck.html

once you get used to steady wiper speeds and not having the blade stop when you accelerate, you might not go back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Fickens rebuilt my Model A wiper motor and it is amazing. Been playing with old cars for 40 years and never had a vacuum motor run so well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Windshield Wiper Repair Service
Ficken Wiper Service
132 Calvert Avenue
W. Babylon, New York 11704
631-587-3332

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 12:02 pm:

The January 2018 Issue (Volume 42 No. !) of Skinned Knuckles Magazine contains an excellent article on how identify, repair and service "Vacuum Windshield Wiper Motors"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

The Wiperman is Mr Ficken, He told me he doesn’t work on my type of wiper motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

I got the motor working. Between the brake fluid soak and gluing that fiber washer it seems to be working great. Im going to take it apart again and coat the barrel with a light coat of grease.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration