24 Touring Barn Car Revival - Part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 24 Touring Barn Car Revival - Part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

Looking forward to continued progress as I try to get this old touring car back on the road after a nearly 50 year slumber.

Here's the link to the 2017 thread if you want to go back to the beginning of my project.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/732050.html

I built a new barn on the back of my property to house the car and will soon be pulling the rear axle for a rebuild. After that, I'll pull the engine and give it a diagnosis and probably take it on a trip to see Ross Lilleker.

I've made a deal on a set of wheels that I'll pick up at Chickasha....so hopefully after that, we'll be getting close to a first drive.

(Message edited by rustyfords on January 02, 2018)

(Message edited by rustyfords on January 02, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Glad you continued this thread :-) You have an exciting Summer lined up and look forward to your progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Ok now ... get to work! I bought my unrestored '23 runabout in November 2016. Had it apart by late December, rebuilt all the mechanicals, stabilized the sheet metal and had it inspected for the road by August 2017. And that was mostly in my unheated garage during the winter here in Rochester. You can do it in warm sunny Texas! :-)

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Thanks guys!

I love your runabout Mark...everything about it is just perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Thanks Don. Let me know if you need help, encouragement or parts. I might have extras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

Don - I need to do the rear at some point. Have not had the courage yet! Interested in how it goes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

I've dived into the rebuilding of the rear axle on my car. Here's a link to the thread where I'm documenting the rebuild.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/848839.html?1522193301

I continue to be delighted at the ancient farm repairs I find on the car. The forensic evidence points to most of the repairs being done sometime in the second world war. I like to imagine rural farmer in west Texas, with rationing and scarce resources...doing what he had to do to get by. I may be off the mark. I'll probably never know. But this is part of the joy of bringing something this primitive back to life.

Here's my latest find. A nail being used as a cotter pin on a rear axle nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

I would say a perfect replacement looking at the bent portion.
As a 5 year old Grandpa kept me busy during visits by straightening nails salvvaged from farm buildings torn down. He would place me on a stool near his anvil, give me a small claw hammer and a bucket of mangled nail to straighten. After all nails were expensive!
Push Truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 12:48 am:

I'm a naughty naughty boy...
As of last year, I was still using a nail or a piece of wire if I didn't have a correct key. :-/
I bought a pack of cotter keys since.
Push Truck, I've done that for me. Oof.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

This weekend I cut down the original 1924 spare tire carrier to accept a 21" split rim.

I cut the main cross beam, made it fit the rim, then welded it together, then did the same for the bottom hoop.

I still need to use the heat wrench to make the bottom hoop fit the shape of the rim a little bit better. Then I'll clean up the welds, sand the whole thing down and put a coat of flat black on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

While I'm saving up for parts for my rear axle rebuild, I'm tackling the floorboards.

I bought a beautiful set at Chickasha from Jon Anderson and am staining them and installing a set of metal trim pieces and a heat shield that I removed from an original set of floorboards that looked ok but were falling apart.

My only issue is that it looks like they're going to turn out way too nice and look to new for my weathered car. But I'm sure enough time and miles will give a more worn look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

Looks good. Better than Flintstoning it if the others fall apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

Yeah Dallas, once I took the metal trim pieces off, the old floorboards fell apart.

Plus, they were too narrow for my car. Was there a narrower floorboard size for an older series Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 05:07 am:

Don, I had a '65 Custom Cab Ford. I see you have a '66 F100 hauler behind your T....as a Native Texan I know how the old trucks down there survive compared to here in the East. Nice T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 08:15 am:

I had a 65 ford pickup with a wood flat bed and holes in the floor your feet would fit through. It had barn door hinges on the hood as the hinge mounts were rusted away. That was 30 years ago. I paid a $100 for it. They dont last long around here either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Don: Are those rivets holding on the draft deflector?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Yes Larry...they are rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Gary and Dallas...this 66 is the most exceptional one I've owned.

It's a completely rust-free truck from Oklahoma, wearing original factory paint. It's been a long time since I've come across one this clean and unmolested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:54 am:

This morning I installed a set of original pedal hole cover thingamabobs (donít know what their real name is) and a baffle thingamabob on the set of Anderson floorboards I bought at Chickasha.

I stained them last week and they were dry enough to work with today.

Theyíre WAY too nice for my car but hey...you canít always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

The only slotted screws I could find in my stash that were the right size, were brass.

So Iím proud to join the ranks of brass Model T owners.

I have the only known 24 T with brass floorboard screw known to exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Hehehe! I caught those quips. That Stones line is actually quite fitting. Kinda goes along with the "Just get 'er done" thread.
Those JV Anderson floor boards ARE nice! Don, does your 24 have the steel or wood risers for the front boards?
Maybe the narrow floor boards were from a different mfgr?
My tight front boards that came with my 18 are gonna stay out for a couple years until I can perhaps stand the body on end and fix my wood risers as they're splitting where the boards lay and there's ONE screw that's covered by the body so they can't come out for repair easily. Don't like 'em anyhow. Never had such niceties as full floor boards.
Get in and out of your car a few times to start the scratching (weathering) process. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Hehe...glad you caught that Duey. 😁

My front risers are metal.

Yeah...the surefire way to ďageĒ the floorboards is to use them. Iíve also been sort of carelessly sitting them down, etc while working on them and fitting them to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:14 am:

The brass slotted screws look nice, but Larry Smith told me that the floorboard trim and draft deflector were originally fastened with semi-hollow rivets:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3631DDR.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:48 am:

Mark, Don had posted that they were held by rivets. As in keeping with the theme, he used what he had on hand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Oops, my bad, thanks for the correction! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Yep...trying to fix the old girl with what would've been available pre-1945.

If it's already in my parts and fastener bins and has some nice weathering, even better. That's not always possible though.

I'm not a fan of faked patina. It always seem to be really visible and takes away from old cars rather than adding to them. So...sometimes I just have to apply a matte finish and let the item age naturally. And sometimes, depending on the item, I can speed up the aging process by placing an item on my P.A.S.T (Patina Acceleration Semi-Transmogrifcation) device....aka, the roof of my shed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration