24 Touring Barn Car Revival - Part 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 24 Touring Barn Car Revival - Part 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

Looking forward to continued progress as I try to get this old touring car back on the road after a nearly 50 year slumber.

Here's the link to the 2017 thread if you want to go back to the beginning of my project.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/732050.html

I built a new barn on the back of my property to house the car and will soon be pulling the rear axle for a rebuild. After that, I'll pull the engine and give it a diagnosis and probably take it on a trip to see Ross Lilleker.

I've made a deal on a set of wheels that I'll pick up at Chickasha....so hopefully after that, we'll be getting close to a first drive.

(Message edited by rustyfords on January 02, 2018)

(Message edited by rustyfords on January 02, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Glad you continued this thread :-) You have an exciting Summer lined up and look forward to your progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Ok now ... get to work! I bought my unrestored '23 runabout in November 2016. Had it apart by late December, rebuilt all the mechanicals, stabilized the sheet metal and had it inspected for the road by August 2017. And that was mostly in my unheated garage during the winter here in Rochester. You can do it in warm sunny Texas! :-)

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 01:53 pm:

Thanks guys!

I love your runabout Mark...everything about it is just perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 02:04 pm:

Thanks Don. Let me know if you need help, encouragement or parts. I might have extras.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

Don - I need to do the rear at some point. Have not had the courage yet! Interested in how it goes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

I've dived into the rebuilding of the rear axle on my car. Here's a link to the thread where I'm documenting the rebuild.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/848839.html?1522193301

I continue to be delighted at the ancient farm repairs I find on the car. The forensic evidence points to most of the repairs being done sometime in the second world war. I like to imagine rural farmer in west Texas, with rationing and scarce resources...doing what he had to do to get by. I may be off the mark. I'll probably never know. But this is part of the joy of bringing something this primitive back to life.

Here's my latest find. A nail being used as a cotter pin on a rear axle nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Spyker on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

I would say a perfect replacement looking at the bent portion.
As a 5 year old Grandpa kept me busy during visits by straightening nails salvvaged from farm buildings torn down. He would place me on a stool near his anvil, give me a small claw hammer and a bucket of mangled nail to straighten. After all nails were expensive!
Push Truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, March 29, 2018 - 12:48 am:

I'm a naughty naughty boy...
As of last year, I was still using a nail or a piece of wire if I didn't have a correct key. :-/
I bought a pack of cotter keys since.
Push Truck, I've done that for me. Oof.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 01, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

This weekend I cut down the original 1924 spare tire carrier to accept a 21" split rim.

I cut the main cross beam, made it fit the rim, then welded it together, then did the same for the bottom hoop.

I still need to use the heat wrench to make the bottom hoop fit the shape of the rim a little bit better. Then I'll clean up the welds, sand the whole thing down and put a coat of flat black on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

While I'm saving up for parts for my rear axle rebuild, I'm tackling the floorboards.

I bought a beautiful set at Chickasha from Jon Anderson and am staining them and installing a set of metal trim pieces and a heat shield that I removed from an original set of floorboards that looked ok but were falling apart.

My only issue is that it looks like they're going to turn out way too nice and look to new for my weathered car. But I'm sure enough time and miles will give a more worn look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

Looks good. Better than Flintstoning it if the others fall apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

Yeah Dallas, once I took the metal trim pieces off, the old floorboards fell apart.

Plus, they were too narrow for my car. Was there a narrower floorboard size for an older series Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 05:07 am:

Don, I had a '65 Custom Cab Ford. I see you have a '66 F100 hauler behind your T....as a Native Texan I know how the old trucks down there survive compared to here in the East. Nice T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 08:15 am:

I had a 65 ford pickup with a wood flat bed and holes in the floor your feet would fit through. It had barn door hinges on the hood as the hinge mounts were rusted away. That was 30 years ago. I paid a $100 for it. They dont last long around here either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Don: Are those rivets holding on the draft deflector?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Yes Larry...they are rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Gary and Dallas...this 66 is the most exceptional one I've owned.

It's a completely rust-free truck from Oklahoma, wearing original factory paint. It's been a long time since I've come across one this clean and unmolested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:54 am:

This morning I installed a set of original pedal hole cover thingamabobs (donít know what their real name is) and a baffle thingamabob on the set of Anderson floorboards I bought at Chickasha.

I stained them last week and they were dry enough to work with today.

Theyíre WAY too nice for my car but hey...you canít always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.

The only slotted screws I could find in my stash that were the right size, were brass.

So Iím proud to join the ranks of brass Model T owners.

I have the only known 24 T with brass floorboard screw known to exist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Hehehe! I caught those quips. That Stones line is actually quite fitting. Kinda goes along with the "Just get 'er done" thread.
Those JV Anderson floor boards ARE nice! Don, does your 24 have the steel or wood risers for the front boards?
Maybe the narrow floor boards were from a different mfgr?
My tight front boards that came with my 18 are gonna stay out for a couple years until I can perhaps stand the body on end and fix my wood risers as they're splitting where the boards lay and there's ONE screw that's covered by the body so they can't come out for repair easily. Don't like 'em anyhow. Never had such niceties as full floor boards.
Get in and out of your car a few times to start the scratching (weathering) process. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 11:15 pm:

Hehe...glad you caught that Duey. 😁

My front risers are metal.

Yeah...the surefire way to ďageĒ the floorboards is to use them. Iíve also been sort of carelessly sitting them down, etc while working on them and fitting them to the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:14 am:

The brass slotted screws look nice, but Larry Smith told me that the floorboard trim and draft deflector were originally fastened with semi-hollow rivets:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3631DDR.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:48 am:

Mark, Don had posted that they were held by rivets. As in keeping with the theme, he used what he had on hand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Oops, my bad, thanks for the correction! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Yep...trying to fix the old girl with what would've been available pre-1945.

If it's already in my parts and fastener bins and has some nice weathering, even better. That's not always possible though.

I'm not a fan of faked patina. It always seem to be really visible and takes away from old cars rather than adding to them. So...sometimes I just have to apply a matte finish and let the item age naturally. And sometimes, depending on the item, I can speed up the aging process by placing an item on my P.A.S.T (Patina Acceleration Semi-Transmogrifcation) device....aka, the roof of my shed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Finally have the $$$ to order the parts to finish my rear end rebuild.

I'd have it done by now but life gets in the way sometimes. My wife had two unexpected surgeries, had to buy new car for her as well (she's expensive). Throw in my daughter's college expenses and sheesh!

Aw well...I'm grateful to have the super family to spend the money on.

I'll place a couple parts orders this week, then shipping time, then I should have the rebuilt axle back under the 24. Then it's on the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 07:04 pm:

Hehehe! Ain't it amazing how expensive rear axles and families can be? :-)
Fun updates Don!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

Last weekend I bought a 1925 chassis that a hotrodder was getting rid of when he pulled a coupe body off of it.

I paid very little for it ($300) but it supposedly has an engine that ran when it was taken apart. The plan is to get this new engine running and plant in my 24. The engine's serial number makes it a 1925 model. It has a 4 dip pan...which is kind of cool.

It's also sporting an accessory engine support (I've heard they're called "belly bands") that I'll be moving over to my 24.

I'll also do a really quick and dirty check up on the rear axle from the donor that will involve me cracking open the housing, replacing the thrust washers and sealing it back up with new seals and gaskets. Then I'll install that and the rear spring on my 24.

That will give me a running/driving car while I finish the more careful axle rebuild that I'm doing and will send my old engine out for a professional rebuild.

And...in case you're wondering...yes, I do plan to paint the engine (probably flat black) before I install it. I claim no responsibility for the hideous color choices or the gooping of RTV all over the gaskets. This is how it came. I know...it's ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

Oh goll, even the head gasket got the goop!
3 hundred bucks? :-p I wish there was a better way to stick my tongue out at you Don. Hehehe!
Good for you and hoping that 25 engine is quiet as a mouse. You deserve it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 12:01 am:

Thanks Duey. I have no illusions of it being quiet. I just want it to be something thatíll run for a year or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

I pulled two of the four connecting rod caps from my 1925 temp engine and I think I'm in good shape....maybe some of yall with more experience can tell me if I'm correct in my assessment or not.

The caps both look like this one (from #3). It has a matte appearance and when I run my finger over it with my eyes closed, I can't discern any flaws.

There seems to be a fair amount of babbitt left in place and it was still using a shim.

Here's the crankshaft surface.

Nice and shiny...and again, nothing that my fingers can feel as a flaw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, June 11, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

So...my amateurish questions:

- Should I polish these caps a little bit?

- The caps were pretty loose. There was fore and aft play and also some vertical play. The shims seem to have about 4 or 5 layers left on them. Should I remove a layer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 06:11 am:

I would pull shims to get the clearance tightened up and run it. From a couple used motors I have dealt with, that looks real good. Wish I had babbit in that condition on mine. Good score on that chassis.

Front to back movement on the rod journals not so much a big deal. Obviously the crankshaft you want a minimal amount of fore-aft movement. You need about .0015-.00175" clearance on the main / rod journals. Plastigauge is an easy way to check it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 08:13 am:

Don,
That matte finish on the bearing is telling me one thing, it's more than likely lead based babbitt, not something you really wont. Lead babbitt is used for low speed aplications and will not give you a long life engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:06 am:

Frank...thanks for the input.

If that is the case (and I'm certainly not going to test the chemical composition), it'll be perfect for my application.

This engine is a stop-gap measure who's purpose is to get my T running again, mainly as a glorified golf cart around the neighborhood while the "real" engine is waiting its turn for a professional rebuild.

It need only last a year or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 - 11:07 am:

You watch though...the thing will probably be running fine ten years from now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - 08:31 pm:

Expecting big rains in the Houston area over the next several days. So...the spare T chassis is up on jack stands.

Itíll also make it easier to disassemble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

Just put in an order with Langs for all the misc bits, bearings, seals, etc that I'll need to swap this engine and rear end into my car and hopefully make it a runner.

My wife and one kid are headed to her sisters for the 4th of July week and my older kids will be out of town as well. So, it'll just be me and the dogs for a few days and my goal is to swap engines then.

Here's the smaller of my two mutts with the T's shelter in the background.

Until then my T waits patiently in its temporary home on the back acre. (Note one of my "new" wheels at the bottom right of the photo...it'll be installed at the same time.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, August 13, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

I have made some minor progress on the T, but nothing noteworthy.

The spare T engine is taking a bit longer than expected and I'm now a month away from the big national convention for the 54 Ford Club of America. And since I'm the president of the club, it's starting to consume all of my spare time.

This means the 24 Touring will have to wait until I get back from Memphis in mid-September.

The nice thing is that I have A LOT of parts in the queue for the T, waiting patiently. I'll be pretty much over-saturated with all things 1954 Ford by then and will be happy to move my old-car efforts over to the happy, smiling little T. I can't wait to make it a runner, then start slowly making it more and more roadworthy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 01:06 am:

Don. What kind of enclosure is Your T parked in looks cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 02:04 am:

Don, that smiling little T will be ready for you when you are. :-) Enjoy your 54 time! That's an order.
I get busy with 12 other things too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 06:44 am:

Jim...It's a 12x20 portable garage made by ShelterLogic. I bought mine at Tractor Supply and have been really happy with it. It's taken some pretty nasty storms with no problems.

Here's a link:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/shelterlogic-landowner-series-garage-i n-a-box-roundtop-12-ft-x-20-ft-x-8-ft?cm_vc=-10005

Thanks Duey. I'm really ready to move my efforts to the T. I love my 54 tudor and have had it since high school (1986), but there's something captivating about the T. Even when I've had it parked in the driveway, the neighbors will stop and ask about it, and the neighborhood kids will want to sit in it. I've had that happen a couple times with my newer old cars, but nothing like the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 04:12 pm:

Is anyone reproducing the 1925 draft deflector? This one is narrow compared to the '26. BTW, the original floorboards pictured above look good to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, August 17, 2018 - 07:45 am:

Larry....the original floorboards pictured above are ok. They fell apart when I removed the metal bits.

I still have all the pieces and I guess a guy could glue them back together.

I'll probably take them to Chickasha next year to find a home for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

Happy to have the 54 Ford Club convention behind me. It was great but now the 54 gets put in the barn and the happy little T gets put into the garage to be made roadworthy.

I have some great parts in the queue that I've accumulated...a very nice original set of wheels and rims, a spare engine, enough top bows to make a complete set, a hood, leather hood straps, a gas tank, brake rods, a spare rear end, and more.

I'm also in the process of buying the big multi-piece rails that go around the backs of the seats as well as some other wood bracing.

I may take my spare engine to Ross Lilleker and have it just do enough to get it running (with or without a magneto)...just to get the little car running under its own power.

Anyway...I'll report it all here as I go along, stumbling in the dark as a Model T novice tends to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

Thought yall might enjoy a photo of some of the cars at the 54 Ford Club convention in Memphis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

Don;

Memphis, TX, or did I miss out on seeing these cars in Memphis, TN?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, September 20, 2018 - 02:45 pm:

Memphis, TN Bill.

We had a great time. In addition to seeing all the cars, we visited Sun Records, Graceland, Beale Street and all the cars attended a big car show at Central Church in Collierville.

(Message edited by rustyfords on September 20, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Finally...some T time this weekend!

Iím going to put my 54 Ford in the little shed and the T in the garage, so I needed to make the T mobile enough to tow.

The quickest way to do this was to put the rearend from my parts chassis under the car. That took the better part of a day due to a snag I hit in the process. But I got it done.

Once the T is in the garage, Iíll have a ton of things ready to do to it and plenty of parts that Iíve collected

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Finally...some T time this weekend!

Iím going to put my 54 Ford in the little shed and the T in the garage, so I needed to make the T mobile enough to tow.

The quickest way to do this was to put the rearend from my parts chassis under the car. That took the better part of a day due to a snag I hit in the process. But I got it done.

Once the T is in the garage, Iíll have a ton of things ready to do to it and plenty of parts that Iíve collected

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, October 07, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

I managed to get the T and the 54 swapped out...which was a bigger project than it sounds. The gate to the back part of my property was wide enough to allow the T to pass through but not the 54 Ford. So...all day Saturday I tore down, then rebuilt that section of fence.

Today I swapped out the cars...in between the frequent rain storms.

Nothing in my way now of diving back into the T and making it a real car again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 12:57 am:

Wha? The 54 relegated to the back shed? Holy XXXX! Insert your own personal adjective here. "Hats" Is a good one to use.
Yessss!
All kidding aside Don, that's just plain cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Thanks Duey. You have a way with words ;-)

I'm like a kid at Christmas now that I have the cars switched and have a pile of T parts ready to work with.

And, to make matters more exciting, the 4 month stretch of "non-summer" that we substitute for winter here in Houston, is just kicking in and that means it won't be 90 degrees with 100% humidity for while. And that makes for superb weather in which to work on an old car.

I really want to have the old girl running by the Spring. I'll document it here and will be asking loads of questions that continue to show how ill-informed I am on all things Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 10:07 am:

The pickup is charming too. 65?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 11:00 am:

Thank you Richard.

The pickup is a 66 (nearly identical to a 65). If you scroll up in the thread a bit, there's a short description of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 11:40 am:

Thanks Don. I have a short memory. Also a '65.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, October 08, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

A 65 and a whole slew of neat Model T's.

Too cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 07:34 am:

Don, Im looking forward to watching your progress on that T. Lots of photos would be great. You will be driving before you know it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 08:41 am:

Thanks Dallas. You've set an example for me with your sweet RPU.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Replacing the very cool but almost certainly unsafe wheels that came with my car, with a much more solid set.

Hereís a before and after of the right front wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, October 13, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Here she is with ďnewĒ wheels front and back.

Iíll need to buy some decent tires before I try anything faster than a crawl.

Iíve placed an order for the rear/top/seat/belt wood...should have that relatively soon.

Making progress.

Iím so dern busy with work...I may just take my spare 25 engine over to Ross and have him do a cheap refresh on it...just to get it running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 09:30 am:

Don, you better block the wheels. Looks like its trying to sneek out of the garage into the sunshine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, October 14, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

It did make it out into the sunshine today Dallas...if only for about an hour or so.

That's what I was limited to, time-wise, so I chose to tackle a couple minor projects.

First, I installed two items that I robbed from my parts chassis...a gas tank and a battery cable support bracket. My car came with a round gas tank that was in very good condition but is not correct for the car and didn't fit under the seat like it should. And, my car was missing the battery cable bracket.

After that, I installed the beautiful floorboards I bought from JV Anderson at Chickasha. They needed some massaging/adjusting to fit right. I attribute this, not to the floorboards, but to my T...which has lived a hard life and probably doesn't have a straight panel or line in the whole car. Once I got them to fit however, they looked great. It's always nice to work with high quality parts.

The incremental progress continues. It's slow but I've restored enough old cars to know that success will eventually come to he who plods away slowly but surely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Rich, you can't be a '65. I'm a year older than you? Impossible'. (think French)
Don, you are moving at a fine pace and you also say great things! Trundle on as we can to move to the end or at least toward "A" finish. Stuffed right here now with OT antique things. :-) Gotta get a lot of sxxt done before it freezes down up here for the year.
You Southerner's are tough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, October 15, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

I don't envy you folks in MN during the depths of winter. I was stationed at Grand Forks Air Force Base, ND and wow was that rough on this "Tough Southerner"!

Winter was from August to the following August. Summer was the middle two weeks in August.

Snow constantly blowing sideways at 60mph....I was never so glad to get back to the Texas gulf coast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 10:38 am:

Jon Anderson makes nice floorboards, but your originals look fine. A little wood glue and some clamps should make them as good as new. I guess no one makes the draft deflectors. I've had pretty good luck finding them at swap meets. I bought a NOS one from Bob Bergstadt recently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

They werenít original to my Larry and they were way too narrow to even be close to fitting. So...I went with a new set.

I agree though...they are pretty solid. Iíll probably take them to Chickasha and find a new home for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, October 16, 2018 - 05:56 pm:

The above should read....

ďThey werenít original to my car...Ē

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, October 19, 2018 - 11:02 am:

This having to make a living thing keeps getting in the way of my Model T fun.

This is the closest I've been to seeing my car all week.

Big plans for the next couple months though. I'm nearing that equilibrium point that I like with old cars...where one can easily see the path and steps needed to put one back on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, October 28, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

More of the same, minor-level messing around with small projects related to the T.

One of the projects was giving the cowl the same Penetrol treatment that the rest of the car received. I was delighted to see the degree to which the striations in the paint showed up. I believe this to be evidence of the factory flowed-on paint job and the attachment they used that looks like a garden-sprayer.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration