Rear wheel hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Rear wheel hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Learned something new today:

Early wheel hubs aren't the same as later hubs. The radius between the body and the flange is greater on a late hub. Early hubs have 1/4" radius and late hubs have 1/2" radius. (See photos. Yellow hub is late; dirty hub is early)

I discovered a crack in one of my hubs and bought another from Langs. Then friend John Semprez gave me one of his extras. But when I attempted to install one of the replacements, it wouldn't seat all the way down in the spokes.

That's when I discovered the difference in the hub design.

So, here is the dilemma:

1. When did the radius change so I know what to look for in another hub ?

2. Would it be safe to machine a smaller radius on a late hub ? Has anybody actually done this ? Is the part heat treated ?

3. I suppose I could increase the relief at the ends of the spokes. Any downside to doing that ?

4. Anybody out there have a small-radius rear hub in good condition that they would sell ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

I had discovered this as well
Was npt sure if early late or wheel maker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

I'm sure the larger radius on the hub makes it stronger. I would opt to enlarge the chamfer on the spokes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Walters on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

Jason,

Cut that out!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration