Is this another Canadian T ism?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Is this another Canadian T ism?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Hi All

Here is another puzzle about Canadian Ts vs American Ts.

I had a good chat with Steve at Lang's today on the topic of which version of the replacement round rope seal fits which model Ts. In the Lang's catalogue and in Steve's database, the US Ts changed the size of the front seal chamber in 1913 remaining the same up to 1927. This style will fit the rope seal that is about 1/2" diameter.

I am restoring a 1915 Canadian T and when I went to put in this rope seal it would not fit the seal chamber. The same problem happened to another T restorer here when he was rebuilding his 1918 Canadian T.

I found a later timing cover from a US T in the parts pile from a starter T, 1919 to 1925. When put side by side the difference in the seal chamber is visible.

The early style seal chamber and Canadian ones, perhaps up to 1918 are only 5/16" inch wide (.312) while the US 1913 up and perhaps Canadian 1919 up are 1/2" wide (0.500).

I have an early style rope seal coming now so that I can put my engine together. I thought this might be of interest to others with Canadian Ts and would also like to hear from others to see if they have had the same problem and when the Canadian Ts may have changed to the larger front seal size.

Picture of two timing covers below, the green one being from my 1915 Canadian.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 12:08 am:

Looks like we got it wrong but there might be three sizes. Sorry if I lead you in the wrong direction.

1909-1916 3/8" wide
1917-1918 9/16" wide
1919-1927 1/2" wide

Info gotten from encyclopedia page on this site

http://mtfca.com/encyclo/E.htm#eng8

Scroll down to the bottom were they list changes to engine crank case by date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 06:56 am:

Jeff, from my experience, the change in the size of the seal groove on our Canadian sourced cars was made prior to the changes to accommodate the generator. When I broke the crankshaft on my 1917 T, it cracked the timing cover around the seal groove, and the only replacement I could find was a cover with the narrower groove. Now I have a second replacement with the wide groove and will fit it when convenient, or when I get sick of the oil leak.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff on Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Hi Steve

No problems here. The important part is to learn more to make it easier for the next person.

I read the encyclopedia notes. Interesting that there appears to be even more differences than we thought.

There are so many running changes on these cars that keeping them straight can be challenging.

It may be helpful in the future to include a note for owners to check the size of the seal groove in the engine they are restoring before they order the seals to help identify the one that is needed.

Still appreciate the advice and service that comes from working with Lang's.

Jeff
Nova Scotia

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration